The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Closed Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 08:58 PM   #101
w_houle

I thought the first conversions were to .46 rimfire?
Old May 25, 2010, 09:01 PM   #102
Dino.

Quote:
Quote by suzukibruce:
i brought up semi-auto to eleminate you from using them as an example right out of the gate (obviously with you capacity comment THAT didn't work). now there have been several testimonials to the reliability of modern black powder and you continue to spout your b.s.... get a life, move out of your mother's basement and go shoot a gun for once. and if YOUR black powder is "prone to misfires" then maybe YOU are the problem because mine isn't and nor are any of the peoples' i shoot with. also since you want to play the capacity game, give me one 6 round 1858 remington with 1 dud chamber against your 1911 colt with 1 dud round and lets see you stay in the fight while i'm still shooting at you.... i'm done with this thread as tim and i and a few others have posted all the valuable information and you have just spewed your uneducated opinion...
Bruce,
Just based on your personal attacks, it's obvious that I've touched a nerve ...
Sorry about that (not really)

I do have "a life" ... a nice one too! I own a nice home, two rental homes, and a nice cabin in West Virginia where I shoot on a regular basis.

I understand that this is a black powder forum and I may have upset some by stating the obvious, but you may want to take note of all the others who have reiterated what I've been saying all along. I suppose they all need to "get a life" and "move out of thier mother's basement" as well?

I'm sorry but your personal attacks clearly show your frustration in attempting to debate a topic where there clearly is no debate.
Old May 25, 2010, 09:18 PM   #103
RemTim

Quote:
If you are going to rattle your trap, find something to support your babbling. I would like to know what major advantage, other than fast loading ammo, the modern firearm has over black powder firearms that are properly maintained, handled and shot.
We are still awaiting your enlightenment on the subject.
BTW, I can reload in 10 seconds or so, what about you???

I
Quote:
I own a nice home, two rental homes, and a nice cabin in West Virginia where I shoot on a regular basis.
Any more credentials??

I guess not. Thanks for the signature; you were my inspiration. Good bye!
Old May 25, 2010, 09:33 PM   #104
Smokin_Gun

History

Read down about halfway the article talks about Conversions...they used heeled bullets for both .44Colt and the 38Colt...also the .46 Rem rimmed.

http://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/history.html

It's a good artical and now I see why Walt Kirst made the .44Colt and .45Colt Conversions. And also why Kenny Howell made the 5 Shot Remington .45 Conversion.
The dates of the heeled bullet conversion are in the text.
Good article...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old May 25, 2010, 09:58 PM   #105
Dino.

Quote:
Quote by Gatofeo:
I'd never carry a cap and ball revolver for self defense. They are simply too unreliable, regardless of the pains you take to ensure reliability. They were replaced by cartridge guns for a good reason.
Amen brutha.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:12 PM   #106
Smokin_Gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote by Gatofeo:
I'd never carry a cap and ball revolver for self defense. They are simply too unreliable, regardless of the pains you take to ensure reliability. They were replaced by cartridge guns for a good reason.

Amen brutha.
I'm Smokin_Gun and not anybody else ... I'd use one only because I know how to ... I also respect myself and others that show respect ... including respect for any handgun...I guess it wasn't Nuff said yet after all.
Well before this thread gets shutdown from ill feelings, I end my thoughts and writtings on this matter. Too bad everyone couldn't think about the History Trail that led to the topic and not make another Trail a Tears out of it.
I'm done after ya read the text below this...back to my forum ...See ya's!

Try it my Brother of the gun ... you might change your mind when the need to make Charcol, dig up Sulpher, and make Salt Peter comes. 2012 ain't far away, Nor the new 2nd ammendant changes...
Peace Out

And you can quote me on all a that...
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Last edited by Smokin_Gun; May 25, 2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:26 PM   #107
RemTim

This a good thread though. I'm done fussing. Peace!!!
Old May 25, 2010, 10:37 PM   #108
Dino.

I'm not sure what that post was all about, "Smokin_Gun", but there are no "ill feelings" on my part.
I have never personally attacked anyone here by saying things like "get a life" or "move out of your mother's basement".
I've only stated my own personal feelings about using black powder guns for self-defense and those who share my views here have also done so respectfully.
Only a couple who felt that black powder guns are suitable for home defense posted ignorant, immature, and disrespectful responses, which IMO lends absolutely no credibility to the topic of discussion.

Again, my feeling is that shooting black powder is fun and inexpensive, but unfortunately, not as reliable as cartridge guns, thus not making them my first choice for self-defense.

I'm not sure how that statement was interpreted as I "have no life" and "live in my mother's basement", but whatever.

Moderators, please feel free to close this thread at any time.
I believe it has truly run it's course.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:47 PM   #109
RemTim

Dino, we take blackpowder seriously. Some of us choose to use them for self defense. It was a spirited debate. Lots of info here. This thread can be considered complete.

Everyone be safe. You too, Dino..
Old May 25, 2010, 11:17 PM   #110
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
For someone to just pop in with a disrespectful remark...
It wasn't a disrespectful remark, it was an honest opinion, and I would go so far as to call it an expert opinion based on the source.
Quote:
...and nothing to back it up with...
The fact that you didn't take the time to find out what it's backed up with doesn't mean there's nothing to back it up.

That's enough for this thread.