The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 14, 2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Headgear

M1 Carbine how much $

I know of a man who wants to sell an M1 carbine. He says it's a Remington but I did a quick search and don't even see that Remington ever built them. I haven't seen it yet but it is supposed to be in very good condition. He also said that his Grandfather used it in Korea. He is asking $650.00. If they ever existed, does anyone know if that is a fair price or where I should look to find it's value?

Thanks!
David
Old January 14, 2010, 10:05 PM   #2
the rifleer

if its in outstanding shape with a perfect barrel and a beautiful stock, sure it might be worth $650. I'd try to haggle down to the $400 range. If there is even a little bit of rust or pitting on it, point it out and say it isnt worth that much because it hasnt been taken care of (in all honestly, a spec of surface rust doesn't effect performance.

you might try ask questions like "if its your dads why are you selling it?" and other tough questions. nothing really personal, but some people make stuff up just to sell it to you.

i think Remington did my carbines, but I'm not sure. It will be stamped on it somewhere who made it.

CMP sells them quite a bit less than $650.
Old January 15, 2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Buzzcook

I would give that rifle a serious going over. Take a pic or two if you can and write down everything that's stamped on the metal parts. Post that info here.

I can't say that Remington didn't make any M1 Carbines during WWII. But I don't see Remington listed as one of the major producers.
Old January 15, 2010, 12:24 AM   #4
stickhauler

No Remingtons

Remington never made a M-1 Carbine, Winchester did, as well as several other manufacturers. If the gun is in good shape, $650.00 isn't off base too much these days, check out some of the prices they're selling for on auction sites.

You'll find Inland made carbines lower in price than any other USGI carbines, as they made more of them than any other manufacturer. As for currently available carbines through the CMP, check here:

http://www.thecmp.org/m1carbine.htm

I've got a Rock Ola that I bought last year for right around $650.00, I have an Inland Rack Grade on order right now with CMP, they're running $419.00 plus tax and shipping.

If you can meet these requirements:

http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm

They're the best deal around.
Old January 15, 2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Headgear

Thanks guys! I thought that it seems a little high. I will take a look at it but I'm not too interested because I have looked at then at Camp Perry's site Gun Broker and others. I was kind of hoping that you guys would say that Remington did make them but not many and they are wroth it because they are rare. I have been beating the bushes for a Garand and heard about this carbine and just thought I would check it out.

My brother and I plan to drive up to Camp Perry in a couple of weeks to get a couple Garands if they have any service grades available at the north store. If I were going to spend that kind of money on a carbine, I'd just as soon get two Garands instead. Or better still, get a service grade now and save that "carbine money", plus a little more and try to get a special grade Garand in the near future.

I'm just afraid that one Garand would get lonely. I think that ten or twelve of them would feel better together. You wouldn't want to get one or two home and they start missing Camp Perry, right? I can hear me now; "Shirley, they're getting lonely again, I gotta run up to Port Clinton" I hope that that becomes a reoccurring theme!

All kidding aside, I do appreciate your help.

Thanks!
David
Old January 15, 2010, 07:12 AM   #6
DiscoRacing

Friend a mine just got one a month ago... for gun, two stocks, 14 clips, and 400rds of ammo.... for $600
Old January 15, 2010, 07:36 AM   #7
Headgear

Was all that from Camp Perry?
Old January 17, 2010, 08:48 AM   #8
Adirondack

$650 seems kind of high to me unless you know for sure who the manufacturer/s are and the level of wear of the throat and barrel. I've seen some M1 Carbines selling at Auction for almost $4000 but as was mentioned earlier, you can get a rack grade Inland for $419. The only thing with the CMP is that you will have to prove eligibility.
Old January 17, 2010, 11:44 AM   #9
Orlando

$650.00 is not out of line depending on maker and originality
You will pay higher prices on the secondary market than at CMP. You also need to add memebership fees , shipping, or tax if purchased at the stores to their prices.
No such thing as a Remington Carbine