The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 16, 2009, 05:53 PM   #1
MYSTERT85

Century Arms FN FAL Clone

i have been looking at this beauty since it hit the local shop.....the lower is imported by century arms and the upper is made in the U.S. the dealer wants $999 and it comes with 5 20rnd mags...is it worth it? if i get possitive feedback i hope to pick it up in 72 hours....so please tell me about it
Old May 16, 2009, 11:23 PM   #2
HorseSoldier

Short story is it may be good or it may be troubled. Century was unfortunately hit and miss with the FALs.

If you go over to the FAL Files website you can get a pretty good run down on problem issues and things to look for.

All that said -- I have a Century FAL built on a Rhodesian parts kit that runs as well as my DSA Para-FAL, and hasn't given me any problems. They did turn out some rifles that work alongside the problem children that are usually discussed.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:41 AM   #3
nemethm

For a couple hundred bucks more you can have a DSA stg58

http://www.dsarms.com/STG58--Austria...info/STG58STD/

you'll have to wait but it will be built on a better quality kit most likey and assembled by someone who actually knows the rifle system. Plus it is built on a DSA receiver the best made besides Imbel and will have a NEW barrel as well. Much better investment and much less likely to cause frustration IMO.

Or you can cruise the FAlfiles market place for a nice rifle someone is selling. Be relentless and ready to pounce and you can find a solid deal and rifle.
Old May 17, 2009, 02:53 PM   #4
smoakingun

Mine has been great, but the older century fals were troubled because of poor quality control but by the end of the assult weapons ban they had it sorted out. If the one you are looking at has a thumbhole stock, it is a ban reciever, stay away from it. All that being said, $999 seems a bit high, I paid $600 for mine back in october. Check gunbroker for prices there.
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old May 17, 2009, 02:58 PM   #5
auberg

I have to agree, $999 seems a bit high. I bought one in November that was used, but in great shape. Its a great shooter and feeds everything I give it. But, I only paid about $700 for it.

Good Luck
Old May 17, 2009, 03:39 PM   #6
IXLR8

Warning: read the manual before firing

I have an L1A1, which is essentially the the same weapon. On the front of the gas tube there is a port adjustment for different types of ammo. Open it all of the way, fire a round, and close one click each time the action does not fully cycle, until 5 rounds have fed without a problem.

I did not know this, and had not seen it on any other rifle. I you leave it fully closed like mine was, you can have catastrophic results.

I have had an AR-15, AK, H&K, and many other weapons of this type, but this one can be really dangerous if you have not read the manual. It is as safe as any other weapon as long as you fully understand how to properly operate it.

It is a really great choice, just be careful!
Old May 17, 2009, 06:53 PM   #7
kristop64089

I am here just to brag

This my "new" R1A1, just picked her up yesterday.
Old May 18, 2009, 05:01 PM   #8
wogpotter

Century guns are hit or miss.
I have one I'm very happy with, but a friend has one that frequently develops issues.
When you say US made reciever, made by who in the US? There are/were several US makers of FAL recievers.
If the reciever is an actual century-made (or marked) one then check the feed ramp. (there were two versions, one much more trouble-prone than the other.)
Unfortunatel without the answers to these questions the best I can say is maybe.
Old May 18, 2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Dood_22

Century built FALs on 3 different receivers: Imbel, Century and Hess.
Imbels are great, Century & Hess are hit-or-miss.

There could be issues other than the receiver. But most issues are repairable.

I'd see if he would take $750-800