The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2009, 10:39 AM   #26
ryalred

If your going to reload much, you had just as well get a tumbler/vibratory brass cleaner. You'll never know how you got along without one once you have one.
reloading -- addicted
Old April 13, 2009, 10:44 AM   #27
Dingoboyx

Ryalred

+1 well put, short, sweet & to the point (and right)
Old April 13, 2009, 11:34 AM   #28
Dan The Sig Man

YES you are all very RIGHT... I am ordering one this week before my loader gets here. I dont know if it will ever get here. Seems like it has been WEEKS since I ordered the Dang thing. I am still in the Process of getting my hands on certain reloading Componets that just are not available at this moment. So even though my Reloader will be here in about 1-2 weeks, I might not even be able to load the first round, cause I cant get certain items that are critical to the process.

Thank you all for your awesome comments about the Vib/Tum situation, I have taken it to heart and I am buying one. I think I am going to get the one with the Bucket reclaim setup and the Vibro tumbler.
Old April 13, 2009, 12:11 PM   #29
Dingoboyx

Dan

Good idea

I tip my cases and media into a 'cat litter tray' with the front screne of an old stand type fan (the ones that stand in the room & sweep back and forward). I lay the screne on the tray and tip my vibro out into the screne, then pick up the screne and shake it over the tray, the shells stay in the screne, then tip the media back in the vibro. then shake the rest of the media out of the screne (makes a racket) Best do do this with music going, coz it sounds like a tamborine (dont get carried away, you will get media everywhere)
Old April 13, 2009, 12:56 PM   #30
Dan The Sig Man

Ok here is another question... I was looking at Harbor Freight (Which there are 2 here in Fresno)... They have a 3 Lb. Rotary Rock Tumbler, it is one of the Sideways kind of rotary things... It is only like $32.99, will this do as good of a job as say a Vibro/Tumbler. Which they have a 5 Lb. Metal Vibrator/Tumbler for $55, but I dont think it has anything to reclaim the media. Just me looking for the Cheapest way to get the same job done. What ya'll think?
Old April 13, 2009, 01:31 PM   #31
Magnum Wheel Man

watch those cases...

aside from being much easier, the tumblers do work good ( most of the time )... I find them a pain to use for any 17 caliber, & I've even gotten to the point that I rarely use mine for 22 caliber cases... I just reciently did a batch of range brass, & almost screwed up my die ( it did pull out the decapping pin ) either a caterpillar or spider had webbed up the unside of one case, & bunch of tumbling media stuck to the webbing inside the case, & I couldn't see it inside, & jammed up my die... this was a 223 case picked up from the range, & I could have seen it if it had been deprimed, but it was dirty...

I guess I've gotten to where I don't pick up much "range brass" anymore...

oh... & it can be pretty hard on nickle plated cases...

so... I wash my little cases, & my nickle cases, & tumble everything larger than 22 caliber
Old April 13, 2009, 02:37 PM   #32
Dan The Sig Man

Well I would ONLY be tumbling and reloading 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP... I still dont know if the Rock Polishers (Horizontal) tumblers are good or not. Or would the Vib/tumbler be better?
Old April 13, 2009, 03:27 PM   #33
Dingoboyx

Vibratory cleaner

Less moving parts, quieter, would be my choice
Old April 13, 2009, 04:06 PM   #34
PCJim

Dan, get the vibratory tumbler, period. The rotary "may" last longer (who is to say?), but will take much longer to get the same brass results.. Tumble before depriming and you'll be good to go with your straightwalled pistol cases.

As for separating the tumbled brass from the media, use 1/4" hardware cloth, a fan blade screen as suggested, a kitchen collander (if the cuts are wide enough) or get a tumbler with a serrated top (Lyman 1200). Any of theses will save you from buying a separator and certainly beats picking brass out of a bowl full of dirty media. Just gently perform the separation operation over a 5 gal bucket so as to not lose a lot of media.

On the subject of media, try your local Walmart for some Kaytee Walnut Bird Cage Litter. It works great and will last forever. And, it is even better with a splash of paint thinner/mineral spirits (watch the odor). Some prefer NuFinish car wax in small quantities. If you do use an additive to the media, run the tumbler for 15 minutes before adding brass so that the additive is evenly distributed and does not clump inside your brass.

And tell your CPA the tumbler should be amortized much the same as the press.
Old April 13, 2009, 04:13 PM   #35
CrustyFN

Or get one of these. I have one and it's the bomb.
Rusty

http://www.grafs.com/product/230094
Old April 13, 2009, 04:17 PM   #36
Dan The Sig Man

Jim... Thank you very much, you just did a total sum up of what I need and what I need to do. I will get me a Vibro/Tumbler and maybe even instead of a 5 Gal. Bucket, I was thinking about getting one of those rectangle Rubber-Maid storage containers. It would have a wide opening to catch as much stuff as possible, and they come with Lids on them, so that will help too.

Thanks again.
Old April 13, 2009, 06:32 PM   #37
Dingoboyx

+10 PCjim, perfect advice
Old April 13, 2009, 09:02 PM   #38
markg22

cheap tumbler

This is my answer to the price of a fancy tumbler. an old orbital sander base has the offset mount for the vibrator and an old vacuum cleaner motor and a $17 120 to 26 volt transformer to slow it down a bit and it works as well as any expensive tumbler I could buy. Oh yeh, my wife loved the salad bowl drum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 117.jpg (130.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 118.jpg (142.5 KB, 20 views)
Old April 13, 2009, 09:15 PM   #39
Dan The Sig Man

Well that would be Great IF.. IF I could figure out how to build something like that. I dont know if I could do it or not, but yes that is a really nice setup and very inventive... Damn I wish I had that kind of brain to think of stuff like that.