The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2009, 09:32 AM   #1
shooterDoc

Favorite Loads for .44 mag Pistol

I have a .44 mag Super Blackhawk and a .44 mag Marlin 1894. I load 200 grain Hornady XTP/HP bullets on 27.5 grains of H110. Out of the carbine, these loads are FANTASTIC... tight groups pretty much out to 50 yards, even if I'm not on a benchrest... I love 'em, especially in that firearm.

But, I can't hit the broadside of a barn when I shoot them out of the pistol... wow... ride the lightning! It's fun, but not very accurate!

Has anyone found a load that they like in both pistol and rifle?
Old April 12, 2009, 11:54 AM   #2
James R. Burke

Probably not the best choice but Win - 296 worked good for me. I am sure there are alot of folk out there that can give you some better choices. Worth a try if you already have some. If not see what some other posts have to say.
Old April 12, 2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Bike Effects

According to the 7th Edition Hornady Handbook "During testing, our Ruger performed exceptionally well with Blue Dot and Win 296 using Hornady 240 grain Jacketed Hollow Points". I'll be trying it soon myself.
Old April 12, 2009, 05:35 PM   #4
Cult .44

Quote:
.44 mag Super Blackhawk and a .44 mag Marlin 1894.
I have the same guns and I'm getting very good results in both with a 180 gr HP-XTP behind 15.0 grains of Blue Dot ("Moonbeams" I call them, as I confessed in another topic). But as far as hunting goes, it seems more of a varmint load than something I'd want to use for deer.

I've been having a similar issue as you're talking about with 21.5 gr of 2400 pushing a 220 grain Sierra FPJ -- good in the rifle, not so good in the revolver. But I'm finding it takes time to get used to a load in my SBH. Each has a different feel, and it doesn't seem like it's just the level of recoil. I often shoot the heavier loads better. So far, I'm getting along with Blue Dot the best, but it's not really a powder that lets you pump up the velocities like H110, 296 or 2400.
Old April 12, 2009, 06:18 PM   #5
crowbeaner

I posted a few good loads in another thread. Look around the site and you'll find them. CB.
Old April 12, 2009, 08:12 PM   #6
shooterDoc

Thanks !

I have some Blue Dot, now if I can find the bullets (someone said Hornady is trying to catch up with demand...)

Also, I use 296 for the .357, will give that a try also.

I absolutely loved Trail Boss with the .357, but I guess I'm trying to stay with the jacketed bullets, but maybe I should try loading down to a more civilized shell...
Old April 13, 2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Ozzieman

Depends on what you’re trying to get from your 44 pistol.
For mags loads there really isn’t any thing much better than H110 for the very high energy stuff.
For plinking I use faster powders like Herco and I have been trying 231 for light plinking loads.
Accurate but you will never get the velocity you can with H110.
Old April 14, 2009, 09:50 AM   #8
AlaskaMike

Those are fairly light bullets for .44 magnum. My Ruger Blackhawk (anniversary flattop) does pretty well with 250 grain Keith bullets, but does even better with 300 grainers. I'd try heavier bullets and see how it does.

Mike
Old April 14, 2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Sam06

I am with Mike. I don't shoot any bullets lighter than 240gr in my 44 Mags. I mostly(95%) of the time shoot Cast lead too.

Favorite Powder in the 44 Mag
2400(all around shooting powder)
H110(Big Medicine powder for real Magnum loads)
Unique(Nice soft loads for fun shooting)
Trail Boss(works great with those soft swagged lead bullets, great for plinking)

In that order. Blue Dot is a good powder but I have not seen it around where I live lately. AA#9 is another fine powder.

I would get some heavy bullets 240-250gr Lead, sized .430 over 20gr 2400 and see what happens. Use WLP primers or LPM primers. Give them a good crimp and let her buck. That is a nice upper-mid range load and it has given me good accuracy in all of my 44 Mags(pistols that is). The Marlin should be fine with it. There is a lot of bad press out there about the micro groove barrels but I think they do fine with Lead YMMV.

Last edited by Sam06; April 14, 2009 at 11:01 AM.