The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 21, 2008, 08:40 AM   #1
rem870hunter

painting or camo tape for a barrel.

i have been thing about camo painting or taping my express barrel i think i would do the vent rib first and see if i like it. would it be wise to paint it or camo tape it? just the barrel though i don't want to paint the receiver or slide. yes it will probably look silly with a camo barrel and a matte blue receiver and black stock and forend. its a thought, does anyone have just a camo barrel with a blued or matte receiver?
Old February 21, 2008, 11:11 AM   #2
freetrapper

No I do not but I purchased an old Mossy 500 that shoots 3" mags and has removable chokes several years ago and spray painted the whole gun. Wood and all. Back then camo guns were very rare on the shelf and this baby has made a great turkey gun. The paint wears better than you might think.
Old February 21, 2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Pahoo

I do solid on the barrel and patches on the reciever, stock and forearm just to break up the colors. I do snow and woodland patterns with tape. Just make sure you remove it at the end of the season especially if you have an 870 express matte finish as this finish is prone to rusting to easily. Not sure what you have but had to throw this in !!!
Be safe !!!!
Old February 21, 2008, 12:37 PM   #4
Super-Dave

I just painted mine this week. The paint needs 7 days to dry completely. I will post pictures this weekind. I used the $15.00 walmart krylon spraypaint.
Old February 21, 2008, 05:07 PM   #5
plateshooter

I have used Dupli Color Truck Bed Liner on several stocks. Synthetic and Wood.
This stuff is incredibly durable, and has a texture to it. It takes a few days to completely cure, but hardens pretty well in just a couple of hours. I have not tried it on a complete gun yet, but if it can stand up to the abuse a truck bed gets, I would think it would work well for a barrel, or complete gun.