The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old December 15, 2007, 09:03 PM   #101
Perldog007

Quote:
Only things that stop them is the threat of pure naked force.
That's already been covered or uncovered depending on your point of view.

I agree though. There is no rule for dealing with violent criminals today. Think John Gotti would still trust Omerta?

Here in my 'hood we know that there are scumbags, crackheads, outlaw bikers, and murderers. We also know that local LEO can fall short with astounding dependability.

But it was the only house I could buy. And they just put in municipal sewer, the prices are a goin up.

Seriously, when my friend was gunned down the side of my house was riddled too. They told me to call them if I found a slug they didn't bother to pull. (anybody else seeing a chain of custody issue here?.. "Well your honor this slug was recovered by a fat guy who is a really well trained security guard and he has watched CSI...")

Even if you think you are safe, be careful. Too many people have trustingly opened their doors and some did not live long enough to fully regret it.

In the case of my neighbor and friend, locking the screen door and keeping a weapon near could have made the difference. I might still be able to walk across my yard to visit him, instead of going to his resting place.

I would like to be able to continue to play keyboard commando with you folks for a spell. Stay safe, stay in the game.
Old December 17, 2007, 09:48 PM   #102
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Naked is more menacing if you dye your skin blue. Its a little inconvenient but very tactical.
Menacing? Tactical? More like hilarious. I saw the Blue Man Group a couple years ago.

I always have a gun on me when I answer the door. Whether or not it's out depends on the situation, time of day, etc. At troubled times I will answer with a full-sized .45 and not care if it's seen.
Old December 18, 2007, 08:15 PM   #103
kgpcr

I would know who it is before i open the door. if i dont know them i dont open it. I dont need a gun to open the door when i know who it is
Smith M&P 40
Old January 3, 2008, 10:25 PM   #104
JustSteve

A few years ago I was polishing the brass hilt of a decorative sword ,the doorbell rang and I didn't have any place to set it down(it was covered with polish).I went to the door ,sword in hand, it was a councilman looking to drum up some votes.He said hello,noticed the sword,handed me some notepads and pens and left without saying anything else.
To answer the OP inever go to the door empty handed,gun knife,phone,fruitcake or whatever else is handy when someone knocks.

feel free to make your own "polishing the sword" jokes

Steve
Old January 3, 2008, 11:36 PM   #105
MSgtUSMC

I answered the door once. When I found it didn't have much to say I shut it.
Old January 5, 2008, 01:00 AM   #106
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Um... how in hades I missed this thread, I'll never know. It's exactly what I was talking about here!

CLOSED!!!!!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread