The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 29, 2007, 01:34 AM   #1
KyleH

Colt challenger feed problem

My problem and reason for posting is that it appears (perhaps from a lot of dry firing) that the firing pin has moved some metal into where the bullet loads. Now if I try to chamber a round it will strip off the cooper jacket/some of the lead then stop at the casing. It only strips it right where there is a dimple either put there by the factory or made there by the firing pin. It is right where the firing pin strikes though.

The colt challenger is a .22LR pistol. Pics to come tomorrow.

EDIT: A little more research tells me that I have nick on the breech face from dry firing. How do I go about deburring this correctly? That should fix my problem other than maybe needing to replace the firing pin. Correct?

Last edited by KyleH; October 29, 2007 at 02:17 AM.
Old October 29, 2007, 07:57 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Brownells sells a tool called a chamber iron that will roll the burr back into place. That is better than grinding because if you reduce rim support where the firing pin falls, it may cause misfires.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...mber%20iron&s=
Old October 29, 2007, 02:38 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Challenger firing pin should not be able to move far enough forward to contact the barrel. If it does, it indicates that either the firing pin or the firing pin stop is badly battered and must be replaced. That, BTW, takes a whooole lot of dry firing.

You could use snap caps or stop dry firing, but you should get the gun fixed right and then use snap caps. If the condition worsens, you could have other problems.

Jim
Old October 30, 2007, 12:48 PM   #4
KyleH

Honestly I was given this gun when I was about 12 and didn't know any better nor did the person who gave me the gun. I am 18 now and getting into shooting. I of course don't dry fire it now. I ordered the tool and will see how it shoots if at all.

Some time soon I will take apart the slide and give it a look over and replace what it needs.