The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2005, 09:59 AM   #1
Swamp Yankee

VhitaVuori Powders for 357Sig

Gettin' ready to load up a batch of 357 Sig.

I've been using PowerPistol with the Speer 125gr TMJ (4362), but I keep hearing that VhitaVuori N105, N340, or N350 are superb in this cartridge. As most of my shooting is done at the club's indoor range I'm particularly interested in the claims these powders produce very little muzzle flash.

Please let me know your impressions of these powders, thumbs up or down. If you've got a good starting recipe by all means let me know.
Thanks in advance for the responses.
Take Care
Old August 20, 2005, 10:56 PM   #2
enstorm

I have not had good luck finding an accuracy load for this round, especially with hollow points. I use 124/125g. bullets only. Lyman manual says 11.3 grains of n105 for its 125g. accuracy load, which is also the max load for this powder/bullet combo. They used a 4" Universal barrel and Speer Gold Dots at 1.135 " with reported fps of 1381. I have loaded this same recipe with the Gold Dots, Montana Gold flat points and Hornady xtp in my p226 with 4.4" barrel. The Montana Golds seem pretty decent in accuracy, although a bit faster than the Lyman fps. The God Dots and xtps, however, exceed 1500 fps regularly, hitting up to 1540-1550, which I think is too much pressure, and they don't seem particularly accurate, either. In fact, most 357 Sig loads I've tried cluster about 3" low at 25 feet, which is my "tune in" range. I loaded some VV3n37 today for the first time with 125 g. Gold Dots and Montana Golds. I hope to try them out tomorrow a.m. If I can't find an accuracy load with this powder and the Gold Dots, I'll use up what I've got and stick with the .45 and .40.