The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 26, 2005, 10:21 AM   #1
DonSimon

Need a gun safe in Jacksonville

I am looking to buy a gun safe here in Jacksonville, FL. I don't need a 400 pound monster but I do need one of the standard long gun size that I will add shelves to since it is only going to be for handguns and ammo. I found one on Wal-Mart's website but none of the stores carry it except around Christmas they have told me. That one, which I like the best, is the Sentry G2215. I can not find anyone else who carries that model. I really like the price on it $198.23. Most others are atleast $200 more. Any suggestions as to where else to look. I have checked Dick's sporting goods and SportsAuthority. From what I have seen, all of the gun stores carry the huge monsters.

Thanks!
DonSimon
Old March 29, 2005, 06:10 PM   #2
Gino

I've been to 2 different Wally World stores in South Florida that said they have safes put away in the back of the store in storage. They only take them out during the "season". I'll bet that you can find some helpful empoloyee that can see if they can find another store that has one in stock.
Old March 30, 2005, 12:29 PM   #3
Russ5924

The ones I have seen at walmart were CHEAP one good kick would open it up and being light someone will just wheel the whole thing out of your house. Check St Nicholas Guns on Blanding Blvd they are having some type of sale on them What??????????ever they sell.
Old March 30, 2005, 05:26 PM   #4
Machinist

I would spend just a couple of hundred more and get something a little bit more heavy duty at Bass Pro Shops.
Old April 17, 2005, 10:00 AM   #5
rangermonroe

I bought one from Sam's club for about $650.

I know that seems like a lot, but I figured that its is about what the deductible would be on my insurance policy, and it is abut the price of a handgun or two.

Or one good rifle and scope.

I also keep household valuables (jewlery cash, spotting scopes, bino's camera's etc) that a thief would grab.

Mine is also fire resistant. Weighs 650# empty, so no toting it off.
Old April 21, 2005, 01:53 PM   #6
progunner1957

You can't beat a good safe!

I bought the Browning FN safe and am extremely pleased with it. It weighs 800 lbs. empty, so I know no one is going to carry it off! I paid $1400, which sounds like alot. I did some quick math and discovered that my smallish gun collection (12 handguns, 6 long guns) would cost a little over 10X the cost of the safe to replace, and that doesn't include the mags for my autoloaders.

IMHO, that's about the best insurance you can get, and you only have to pay for it once. Buy whatever you can afford and whatever fits your needs, but don't buy on the cheap; spend a little extra and get a better quality safe.
Old April 30, 2005, 12:27 AM   #7
Puppy

Here is a couple snap shots of my gunsafe & ammunition locker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg safe001_640x480.jpg (46.2 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg safe002_640x480.jpg (62.1 KB, 218 views)
Old May 3, 2005, 06:31 AM   #8
9mmsnoopy

"I don't need a 400 pound monster"

when talking gun safes, 400 lbs definately is no monster, 1 strong guy with a dolly could haul it right off. i would feel much better with a good 800 pounder,nobody would be taking it anywhere.
Bushmaster AR15
Old May 7, 2005, 09:19 PM   #9
wayneinFL

"The ones I have seen at walmart were CHEAP one good kick would open it up and being light someone will just wheel the whole thing out of your house."

He's not talking about the cheapo Homak (?) wal mart sells- light gauge steel ones with the Ace lock. Those are really not safes, but cabinets that lock to keep little kids out, not crooks.

The Sentry safes they sell aren't light duty at all.

Wally World keeps all of their safes in the back except during hunting season. They only get a few of the Sentry safes. And those go quick. So if they say they're out of them, they probably are.

I have two of them. The first one I bought at 2 a.m. The other was gone the next afternoon. I had to wait 'til next October to buy another...

I think they're only 200-300# but a burglar would have a heckuva time trying to pry them open, and they're drill proof (forgot my combo once). Mine are bolted down to the concrete slab in my house. I wouldn't even keep a 800# safe if it wasn't bolted down- It's amazing what 3 or 4 big guys from Miami can throw in the back of a truck on a combination adrenaline rush/crack high. Nobody's stealing my guns without a torch or the combination.

I've seen them in Lowe's, of all places. Try there.
Old May 9, 2005, 08:35 PM   #10
shoot870p

also contact Sentry directly for dealers.
Old May 10, 2005, 07:10 PM   #11
bp78

I looked at teh 4211

I looked at the Sentry 4211 but couldn't find a dealer around Raleigh. Ended up buying a small 400# Liberty safe.
Old May 11, 2005, 08:21 PM   #12
Sifu

Have you tried Lowes? The Lowes here carries several reasonably priced models in the store and for a fee can deliver it to your home. Also check out the gun shows. Quite often, you'll find a safe dealer at the shows. Whatever you decide on, secure your weapons so you don't have to worry about them while you're away.

Regards
Old May 11, 2005, 08:39 PM   #13
DaddyFatSacks

You can also find safes that bolt to the floor.. maybe a smaller safe that bolts down. might not stop a theif, but would slow them down and might not be worth the trouble
Old May 11, 2005, 09:14 PM   #14
GM-GUY

The Sentinel safe I got from Wal-Mart was less than $100 and has an optional handgun/ammo locker ($50) for the top (they bolt together).
They both have bolt holes for wall studs 16" on center. They even meet California standards.

The best thing for me is I could move it in, mount it and not break the stairs, walls, or floor. No reinforcing of floors or hiring movers.
Old May 17, 2005, 01:01 PM   #15
rangermonroe

This the one I have http://www.granitesafe.com/ .

I have the 12/24...and it has gotten a little small.

This is the one I bought at sam's for about $650
Old May 17, 2005, 02:10 PM   #16
steelersfan0000

If you are worried about them hauling it off. I have my bolted to the floor. And you cant un bolt it without being inside the safe. lets see the BG's take that safe.