The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 27, 2000, 10:34 PM   #1
Moe

I know that Mossberg did one with the U.S. military of 3000 rd of buck but has any one have documented proof of the life of an Ithaca 37. I am not looking for say I shot it 55,000 times or it will never wear out. I want info from real tests carried out by industry or gov. I know the FBI have done such things but it is hard to get the info out of them.
Thank you
Moe
Old July 27, 2000, 11:57 PM   #2
Badger Arms

Who cares? You figure that if you shoot a gun 20,000 times with the average cost of $.50 per pop, you'd spend $10,000 on ammo for a $300 gun? Just buy two.

Honestly, I don't know of any test but if you are willing to supply the ammo, I'll donate my gun and we'll find out together!

I do not believe that the Ithaca was given a shot at the competition that Mossberg "won" because there was a requirement for a side ejection/loading port. This is much the same way that non-Beretta 92FS guns were excluded from the competition bought, uh, I mean won by Beretta. Don't get me wrong, I like the Mossberg but I think that Remington deserves more respect.

I'll qualify this paragraph. I am a DIE HARD ITHACA FAN. The Ithaca is the strongest, lightest, quickest, and in my never to be humble opinon, best pump action on the Market. They have never failed me. I believe that will outlast me and my great-grandchildren.
Old July 28, 2000, 08:37 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I too love Ithacas. And for sheer money-wasting fun having no disconnector can't be beat
Old July 28, 2000, 09:20 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

It's a John M Browning design. It's called the Model 37 because 1937 was when the patent rights ran out and Ithaca snapped it up. Same patents covered an old Remington pump, the 10 I believe.

Like the 870, not many if any have been worn out.
Old July 28, 2000, 09:44 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

I don't have documented proof of the life of an Ithaca Model 37, but I may be able to determine the lifetime mathematically.

My 37 is now over 50 years old. It is as strong as the day it left Ithaca, NY. It has fired countless thousands of shells. So dividing its true age by its apparent age should give us an indication of how much longer it will last. 50 / 0 = infinity, that is, it will last forever.

In reality, like you suggest, only a company or the gov't with an endless supply of shells could determine the life of a good shotgun like the 37.
Old July 29, 2000, 09:01 PM   #6
Frenchy

Dave;
My research shows that the M-37 was derived from the Remington Model 17 20 ga. My 17 is a 3rd. generation hand-me-down from my Grandfather and is one of the finest upland guns I have ever owned. IMHO!!

I just ordered today the new Ithaca Ultra-Featherlight 20 ga. (1 of 200) as I need to retire my old 17!!

Frenchy

------------------
Donnez-moi la liberté, ou donnez-moi la mort!

[This message has been edited by Frenchy (edited July 30, 2000).]
Old July 29, 2000, 09:15 PM   #7
Badger Arms

Frenchy. The Remington M-17 is a John Browning Design that Remington Produced. Ithaca saw a good thing and picked it up. I'd be interested to hear a comparison of your 17 and the 37 you are getting. Haven't ever looked inside the Remington.
Old July 29, 2000, 09:55 PM   #8
Frenchy

I will try to provide that comparison Badgerarms, when I receive the Ultra sometime in September. It has been some 28 years since Ithaca has produced this aluminum receiver beauty. My uncle owned one of the originals, and at 5 pounds it was a joy too carry and shoot. The new ones differ with a lengthened forcing cone.

As for M-17 internals, if you've seen the inside of an early M-37, you've seen the Remington. Virtually no difference.

Frenchy

------------------
Old July 29, 2000, 11:28 PM   #9
Badger Arms

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenchy:
I will try to provide that comparison Badgerarms, when I receive the Ultra sometime in September. It has been some 28 years since Ithaca has produced this aluminum receiver beauty. [/quote]

Wow, I didn't know that Ithaca was producing the Aluminum Reciever gun again!! I had a chance to handle one at a gun show once and thought it was the cat's meow. I might just have to get one now. I don't own a 20ga.

Old July 29, 2000, 11:54 PM   #10
Frenchy

They are offering it right now for $599.00 on their web site in English or Deluxe. They also have the Classic for about $150.00 more. there are quite a few serial numbers left. I was lucky and got the s/n of my choice.

Frenchy

------------------
Old July 30, 2000, 08:03 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, Frenchy,and enjoy both of those 20s.
I think, but I'm not positive, the 10 was the model with the original Browning patents, then the 17, then the 31 with a different Browning action.

You collecting and antique mavens feel free to correct me.

Old July 30, 2000, 09:02 AM   #12
Frenchy

Good morning Dave;

I think you might find this article from Cruffler.com of some intrest concerning the historical aspect of the M-17/M-37 story. It is too long to post here, I feel.

http://www.cruffler.com/historic-april00.html

Frenchy

------------------
Old July 30, 2000, 02:22 PM   #13
Badger Arms

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenchy:
www.cruffler.com/historic-april00.html
[/B][/quote]

Thanks, I just spent an hour surfing this site. My wife is now going to hunt you down and beat you up for this. I should have been mowing the lawn. Oh well, time well spent.

Old July 30, 2000, 04:25 PM   #14
Frenchy

Ahhhhhh.......the wives!! Gotta love em.
Old August 1, 2000, 08:42 PM   #15
Moe

Thank you guys for the response on the life of an Ithaca. I guss I can stop counting those shots fired.

Moe
Old August 1, 2000, 09:28 PM   #16
Badger Arms

Nah, keep counting for the bragging rights!
Old August 1, 2000, 11:36 PM   #17
Mal H
Staff

Right, don't stop counting. You just might catch up to us around 2045 or so.