The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2017, 08:20 PM   #1
EnoughGUN

Kimber micro 9 VS XDs

I'm trying to decide if I want to sell my XDs .45 and get the micro 9.
I can't find any comparison of the two sizes. If anyone has both could you stack them and take a picture?
Old April 23, 2017, 09:05 PM   #2
turtlehead

That's an interesting thought. If you stack the Kimbers high enough you could push them over onto the bad guy.
Old April 24, 2017, 07:22 AM   #3
PSP

The only gun I ever bought and took an instant dislike to was my Kimber Micro 9. It hurt to shoot, left a mark on my thumb and in general disappointed. Expected a nicer trigger. Let my son shoot it and his first comment was "I don't like it." I sold as soon as I could and took a bath. Get a small HK and don't look back.
Old April 24, 2017, 05:15 PM   #4
Lexspeed

I really enjoyed my Kimber Micro 380; it performed flawlessly and appeared to be well made. But, since I liked my Sig P238 better I sold the Kimber. Now I regret it.

I would have to believe the Micro 9 would be just as nice. I'd take the Kimber.
Old April 24, 2017, 06:19 PM   #5
shootbrownelk

I carry a Springfield EMP daily. I looked at the Kimber Micro 9. It felt weird in my hand when I examined it. I don't know exactly how to describe what I didn't like about it, there were different issues for me anyway. The EMP I have is easy to conceal in a pocket and it's light and won't droop your drawers.
Old April 25, 2017, 12:42 AM   #6
Ibmikey

I am not fond of the XD series of pistols even though they are proven designs. I normally carry a Sig P 238, Sig P 938, Kimber Micro or Micro 9. All of the pistols are single action, have positive safety systems, easy shooters, reliable and accurate for defensive distances.
Any of these pistols ( including the XD) could save your bacon if the situation demanded. It would be difficult for me to suggest you sell a pistol I do not care for (XD) then make derogatory remarks about it and suggest the Micro, so I will simply encourageyou shoot a 938 or Micro 9 and compare them to your current pistol. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
I hope my comments will serve you better than some caustic remarks apparently intended to be humor by another poster.
Old April 25, 2017, 03:56 AM   #7
Badgerstate

I looked into getting a Kimber recently but theres so many stories out there, even from Kimber fans, who say that you need to work on the gun to get it to work right and that it takes at least 1000 shots before it breaks in to the point where it wont malfunction. That was all I needed to know that a Kimber wasnt for me. If a gun doesnt work properly right out of the box, its not worth owning.
For that reason, unless you absolutely have to have a 1911 style gun, Id get the XD.
Old April 26, 2017, 07:13 AM   #8
OhioGuy

I've had the opportunity to shoot both guns. I carry and routinely shoot with an XD Mod.2, which is very similar to the XDs, with about 1/3" extra width. They shoot very similarly, and I found the XDs easy to shoot. It points pretty naturally and is easy to fire quickly. I happen to be a fan of the grip safety, since it does at least render the gun inoperable when you're holstering (properly). I've only shot any XD in 9mm.

I found the Micro 9 comparatively difficult to shoot well, but then it's unfamiliar and I'm not overly familiar with 1911's of any size. It seems easy enough to train to always flick down the safety on the draw, but to me those are always extra steps that could go wrong. It had more of a kick than the XDs (but if you're used to the XDs in 45, then the Micro 9 will probably be a step down in recoil).

Browsing on forums it seems that the Micro 9 is a pretty reliable gun. It certainly looks cool and has some personality. I view the XD series much like M&P and Glock -- uninteresting and unremarkable, but utterly reliable and dependable. I've had zero malfunctions in over 3K rounds through my XD Mod.2 using even cheap, dirty ammo.

The Micro 9 wins on concealability, I'd have to think...they're tiny!

Personally I'd stick with what you have for carry and defense, which is already known to be reliable and easy to shoot. "Boring" is absolutely fine for self defense If you have the cash, get a real Kimber 1911 for range use or maybe some sort of competitive shooting. Kimber makes some sweet guns ,and their 1911s are like Cadillacs.
Old April 26, 2017, 07:18 AM   #9
Ibmikey

Badgerstate, Most of the Kimber horror stories come from those who comment negatively on most anything. I have three Kimbers, .45 pro carry, 380 Micro and 9 mm Micro, all have shot as expected right out of the box from day one ( I think my .380 required a box of ammo to break in) and have remained reliable and accurate. Although my 9 ..Micro looks more like a 1911 my Sig P 938 SAS is my favorite of all the pocket pistols.
Old April 26, 2017, 10:09 AM   #10
RickB

I suspect the Kimber is much "trimmer" than the XD, even if the printed dimensions are similar.

I handled/shot the S&W Shield and Walther PPS before buying a SIG P938, and the SIG seems much more compact.

I love the SIG; light, relatively powerful, nice trigger, very accurate, and, for a dedicated "1911 guy", there's no learning where the controls are.

For someone of the Glock generation, accustomed to plastic frames and point-and-squirt striker-fired actions, the cost and manual of arms differences might be enough to stick with what you know; I've read enough about "guns with manual safeties are unsafe", and "I don't want to forget to disengage the safety".
Old April 26, 2017, 07:57 PM   #11
EnoughGUN

Emp

Shootbrownelk, how does the emp compare size wise to a compact 1911? I had a detonics combat master and it was still pretty beefy. The micro is just tiny but I would be willing to go a bit larger if it was more he's size. Do you have a 1911 you can compare it with?
Old April 26, 2017, 09:38 PM   #12
RickB

The EMP is essentially a compact 1911 that has been reduced in depth through the magwell to suit shorter cartridges.
It was originally announced as the Defender - odd choice, considering that was already the name of Colt's compact - chambered in .45 GAP; imagine taking a slice out of the frame equal to the difference in length of .45 ACP and .45 GAP.
The Defender never went into production, and the EMP came along a few years later.
Otherwise, the EMP is the same size as a 3" 1911, and much larger than the Micro 9.
Old April 27, 2017, 11:26 AM   #13
doofus47

RickB
Quote:
I suspect the Kimber is much "trimmer" than the XD
That might be, but I the OP asked about the XDs. The 9mm XDs with a 6 round flush magazine absolutely disappears. Get some talon grips and XDs would be good to go.
Old April 27, 2017, 06:44 PM   #14
RickB

The XDs is virtually identical in size to the Walther PPS M2, or, considerably larger than the P938/Micro 9.

These pics show the guns superimposed on the IDPA Back-Up Gun box.
With 7rd mags the difference is even greater.

Walther PPS M2

Last edited by RickB; April 27, 2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old April 29, 2017, 08:42 AM   #15
WWWJD

My EDC is a Micro 9 CDP; it vanishes in an IWB holster. 500 or so rounds through it, not a single problem. It hits where I'm aiming. Keep the XD.. and get the micro, also.

NRA Endowment FTW
Old April 29, 2017, 06:29 PM   #16
Siggy-06

My XDS9 was $363 otd. The kimber micro 9 is a lil over $500. For that price range I'd rather go with the Sig personally. But $140 bucks between the two mentioned pistols is a lot of ammo and range time with the XDS. My xds is probably the best finished and solid feeling compared to my shields and LC9.
Old April 30, 2017, 10:20 AM   #17
RickB

The Micro 9 is a $800-$900 gun, around here.
Old May 1, 2017, 07:05 AM   #18
gunhappy

love my Kimber micro 9

Had a few issues when new. After running 200 fmj thru it, I sent it back as it was still experiencing failure to return to battery . Since its back, I have run about 100 more that were flawless . I'm happy with my choice, and it is generally my carry piece