The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 16, 2016, 02:06 PM   #1
georgiacatweazle

44mag 310gr trueshot from oregon trail, IMR4227, light load question

I have a Ruger SRH 7 1/2".
Bought some true shot 310gr WNFP GC from midway, just wanted to get a verify of loading data.

seems like from a cross reference of manuals, charge starts from around 18gr to 24gr max, that's the spread. some loading manuals are 19-20, others upto 24 etc.
i was going to work up a load from 17gr. it's a hunting load, so not shooting many, BUT, would like to test some at the range without causing a broken wrist in the process :-)

thanks for any info.
Old October 16, 2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

The combination of a heavy bullet and slow powder will create recoil. Unfortunately you can't load slow powders down too far without risking a bullet getting stuck in the barrel due to extinguished ignition. Also, slow powders produce erratic velocities and burn dirty if loaded down too far. If you want to shoot them light, you want some loads of something you can back way down, like Unique. The slow powders just need more pressure to keep burning properly.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 17, 2016, 01:22 PM   #3
buck460XVR

I'd find the case capacity with that bullet and then start at like 90%. IME, IMR 4227 likes to be compressed lightly or nearly compressed to give the best performance and accuracy. I'm thinkin' 23 gr with that bullet would be compressed.
Old October 18, 2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Snyper

Light load, 44 mag, and 310 grain don't all belong in the same sentence.
Old October 18, 2016, 11:20 AM   #5
KEYBEAR

If the bullets are to be used for hunting why would you load them down .
If you are just thinking of loading them down to try at the range and a hotter load for hunting what is that going to tell you ?

I always test hunting loads as I intend to use them .
Old October 18, 2016, 11:56 AM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...a heavy bullet and slow powder will create recoil..." Yep. Through the magic of physics.
It's been suggested on another forum to contact the Oregon Trail Bullet Company for data. Their site is being firewalled by their web site security people though.
Old October 18, 2016, 01:23 PM   #7
black mamba

If both 4227s are used in trapdoor Springfield 45-70 loads, where they only fill that large case about 30-40%, then you shouldn't have any problems with loading down to 60% of capacity in a 44 mag. I've gone as low as 17 grains of H4227 with 300 grain bullets without any problems, and they were nicely accurate, too.