The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2014, 09:16 AM   #1
roboink

First Time Reloader

I would like to start reloading and I'm looking to buy a reloader and want to start out with a progressive, so I don't have to upgrade later....I see the Lee Load Master looks like a good choice. BUT what about customer service from Lee and Hornady, RCBS..etc.
Old July 17, 2014, 09:32 AM   #2
TylerOutdoorsman

Have you considered a Turret Press with Auto Index?

I have several presses including 2 progressives, and I prefer my Lee Classic Turret press. It is slower than a progressive, but it is still leaps and bounds faster than Single Stage. I would highly recommend you look into this option. It's a less expensive option than progressive and it's very customizable to meet you individual loading needs.
"...Let he who does not have a sword, sell his cloak and buy one." Luke 22:36b

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
Old July 17, 2014, 09:51 AM   #3
oldpapps

roboink,

Start by reading the 'stickie' above, some 41 thousand have.

By the title of this thread I must go with you have never loaded. As a 'newbee', I would council against a progressive. Not that they have great benefits but as a tool to learn on... just too many very important things going on at any one time.

I got my first press, a cast iron off-set 'O', some 51 years ago, I still use it for load development and small runs. Start with lots of loading books and re-read them till you know what is coming next. Try to find a mentor. Don't trust anything or anyone, verify everything (noise on the internet is noise until you have verified).

Now directly to your question.
No major player is going to stay in business long if they don't provide customer service. Over the years I have had very good customer relations with all three of the manufactures you listed by name, it has been rather limited as I haven't had all that many problems.
I know that didn't help one bit.

I will give my views and opinions in the same order you listed them.
LEE - Very cost effective (cheap). If you are a tinker, they run great. I have and like a LEE Pro 1000.
Hornady - Very well made and respected tools. Price has moved up a bit.
RCBS - Same quality level as Hornady.

My suggestion is to look at a LEE Turent and disable the auto indexing till you have the process figured out completely. But that is just me talking and as i stated above, don't trust anyone, verify first.

Good luck in you endeavors and welcome to the forum.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old July 17, 2014, 09:54 AM   #4
kilimanjaro

Don't overlook the Dillon rigs, the 550b is a very good progressive press, with great customer service. The guarantee is simple, if it breaks, they ship the part.

RCBS dies are great.

Stainless steel media for tumbling brass is the way to go. Quiet, no dust, and results are very good.

Plan on spending about $1000-$1200 for press, dies, caliber conversion, tumbler, media, scale, calipers, and a couple of reloading manuals, if you do go with a progressive press, for one or two calibers.

For just one caliber, I would get two Lee Classic presses and set up a die in each of them, good to go.
Old July 17, 2014, 10:24 AM   #5
mikld

No offence intended, but starting on a progressive is like learning to drive in a '49 International 1 ton truck with 5 speed straight cut gears and no power steering nor power brakes. It can be done, but there are a thousand better ways to learn how to drive. The same with reloading. When starting reloading on a progressive you must learn how to operate an ammo machine at the same time you are trying to learn to reload, very often frustrating! (much more than just pulling a handle). Using a single stage to learn is much easier, and more complete as you are learning each step, one at a time, and the theories behind each step. There is always a good use for a single stage press even after one "progresses" to a progressive press...

Now is where someone will post about how they learned to reload on an auto-everything progressive press and it only took them 1 day to complete the process, but all the above is just my experiences from 30 years of stuffin' my own and being around the reloading fraternity.

If I were to buy a progressive press I'd go with a Dillon. When someone says "progressive", most think "Dillon"...

Later; I guess what I want to ask is do you want to learn to reload or do you want to learn to operate a progressive press? Nuttin' wrong with a progressive press, for it's intended use, but there are better options for a learning tool...

Last edited by mikld; July 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old July 17, 2014, 11:08 AM   #6
mdmtj

Learning on a progressive vs. single stage press is a very personal decision.

Learning on a progressive is a viable option. Pay attention to details, take your time, don't get in a hurry, take your time,... Don't pay any attention to the folks posting about cranking out 300-500 rounds per minute on xxx press.

Look at the Dillon 550B. Excellent machine, excellent customer service.
Old July 17, 2014, 01:32 PM   #7
BigJimP

Learning on a Progressive machine is not a big deal in my view.

You have to be able to understand each function - in each station...not sort of ...but thoroughly understand it ( but its really no different than understanding what is going on in a single stage ). Attention to detail, good loading practices, good bench organizational practices....all of that is important with any machine.

I'm not a big fan of Lee equipment...RCBS, Hornaday, Dillon are better options in my view....with Dillon probably having the better service and guys answering the phones for just general help that really know how to use the machines. None of the big name mfg's are making bad equipment...but they all do things differently .... like how they handle primers, etc.

As an example....Dillon options...

Dillon SDB is a good progressive machine - auto indexing - but its for handgun calibers only - and it uses a proprietary die.

Dillon 550 ...does not auto index / and that's an issue to me. Moving the case holder every time introduces the chance of human error...more than a press that auto indexes. But its a solid machine.

Dillon 650 ....auto indexes, and it has room ( 5 station) in toolhead for a powder check die...( Hornaday LNL is a similar press )...650 is a great machine.

Dillon 1050 is a commercial grade machine...only comes with a 1 yr warranty ...not your best option probably. Their other 3 machines come with a lifetime no bs warranty...( limited on electronic pieces - with batteries in them - like low primer warning buzzer, etc )...
----------
I have buddies that have a variety of machines....probably 90% are using Dillon ...with some SDB's, a couple of 550's, and most of them with 650's...one with a 1050.......a couple with Hornaday LNL...one with an RCBS...guys that bought Lee equipment have sold them and moved on to other mfg's....
Old July 17, 2014, 05:51 PM   #8
AKhog

I second the moving on from Lee. I started out with Lee cause it was cheap and reliable, but slow. I bought a Hornady Pro-Jector when I saw a good price on a used one and never looked back. After using it for 23+ years, I just sent it in to Hornady to exchange for a Lock-N-Load for $200! You can always get a progressive and only work on one cartridge at a time, until you feel comfortable going progressive. I still have a Lee Classic O-Frame that I use for decapping and pulling bullets, it never hurts to have a single in addition to a progressive.
I Like the Hornady's for the fact they are a full 5 station press, whether you need all the stations or not.
Old July 20, 2014, 11:57 AM   #9
totaldla

Just thought I'd point out that you can always go slow with a progressive, but you can't go fast with a single-stage. And machines don't make mistakes - people do, which is why KABOOMs are usually built by single-stage users.

IF you decide to go "entry-level", the Lee Classic Turret is the press. It is the best entry-level press by far for the $.

But progressives are the way to go and I happen to like Dillon. Buy it once is good advice. I Craigslisted my old RCBS Rockchucker 5 years ago and I have a Lee Classic Turret sitting next to my Dillon.