The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2014, 04:15 PM   #1
TheFisherman

imr 4227 for 10mm auto??

Greetings everyone,
Ive been relaoding for a while now mostly handgun and I have alot of extra imr4227. Longshot is a pain in the butt to get right now so I was thinking about trying the 4227 out. I feel like the burn rate is perfect for 10mm but I cant find a single load anywhere. Has anyone tried this or does any one have any insight at all???
Thanks,
Fish
Old July 14, 2014, 04:19 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

Can you find ANY published data?

The 'slowest' powder I found effective ("effective": launching 200--220g bullets well past SAAMI specifications ) in the 10mm is AA9.
Old July 14, 2014, 04:23 PM   #3
RickB

I've used IMR4227 for two rounds, .30 Carbine and .44-40.
Coincidentally, I used the same charge weight for both cartridges.
The .44-40 case has considerably more internal volume than 10mm, so I don't know that it's possible to correlate pressures and velocities, even when using bullets of the same weight.
I was trying to create a "plinking" type load for an old revolver, so my goal was low pressure, more than anything else.
Is there anything on the burn rate chart near 4227 that is recommended for 10mm use?
Old July 14, 2014, 04:33 PM   #4
CountryUgly

It's just too slow for the 10mm. I couldn't find any data either but made an educated guess on charges based on experience. I was using 200gr bullets. what I got was slow velocities and lots of unburnt powder in the barrel. Try and find some Blue Dot. Excellent slower burning 10mm powder, really gets those 200gr bullets moving.
Old July 15, 2014, 06:50 AM   #5
TheFisherman

Hey thanks alot guys, I really apprechiate the feed back. Yeah im always a little sceptical when I can find data (ussally there is a reason). Ive also used aa#9 with ok results. Nice to know there is a pioneer out there that has tried it. Ill kust keep it for 38sp and 357 thanks guys.
Old July 15, 2014, 10:03 AM   #6
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by TheFisherman:

I was thinking about trying the 4227 out. I feel like the burn rate is perfect for 10mm but I cant find a single load anywhere.

Yeah im always a little sceptical when I can find data (ussally there is a reason).

You answered your own question. Anytime, you cannot find load data for a powder/bullet/caliber combo, especially from the distributor, a big red flag should come up on your reloading bench. While someone somewhere may have tried it and it worked....odds are it did not work well. One should also never take a recipe from the internet without being able to verify it with a published load or their own software. While it's nice to be a pioneer in the sport, it's also nice to have your eyes and fingers along with working firearms.
Old July 15, 2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Nick_C_S

IMR4227 is waaay too slow. It's for magnum pistols with long barrels.

I consider AA9 too slow. I wouldn't consider anything slower than AA7. And the slowest powder I've ever actually used for 10mm Auto is Power Pistol.
Old July 15, 2014, 11:40 AM   #8
RickB

I've used Ramshot Enforcer, which is right next to #9 on some burn-rate charts. It's useful only for full-power loads, and anything less than that is handled better by #7 or similar.
I like Power Pistol for midrange loads, as you get full shock and awe (muzzle flash and blast), even if you don't load hot.
Old July 15, 2014, 01:39 PM   #9
mavracer

Quote:
You answered your own question. Anytime, you cannot find load data for a powder/bullet/caliber combo, especially from the distributor, a big red flag should come up on your reloading bench.
Sometimes some of the published loads aren't worth a spit.
If you can't find longshot, AA7, Blue dot and 800x all work good there are a lot of faster powders that'll give good accuracy just not top velocity I've shot a lot of 180s @1000 using WW231.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."