The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 17, 2013, 05:43 PM   #26
Gaucho Gringo

+P loadings nowadays are the standard loadings 75 years ago. Ammo used to be loaded a lot hotter in pre suefest days. All you have to do is look at Elmer Keith's loading data in the day.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8
Old March 17, 2013, 09:32 PM   #27
Deaf Smith

Quote:
How come they don't make a 38 S&W + P aka 38/200 + P. I mean, someone would need the MORE POWER advantage for their 100 year old revolver, right?
Way to many old top break S&W, Iver Johnson's, H&R's, and such out there that really ARE over 100 years old.

Sure I'd love to see for my 3 inch Webley and 4 inch Colt Bankers for them to make a hotter .38 S&W round but I know there are many old cheep top break guns that might blow with such loads.

Deaf
Old March 17, 2013, 09:54 PM   #28
Sevens

Quote:
Ammo used to be loaded a lot hotter in pre suefest days.
I'd sure like to see some citations or tangible evidence of all of the lawsuits having to do with over-pressure ammunition that folks have been flipping as a "reason" for years and years.

Much more likely is that serious advancement in actual pressure measuring well beyond the old copper crusher methods are employed today that give ballisticians real proof of what is happening with these loads than a lot of the black magic of the past.

History is a wonderful thing and it has gotten us where we are, but it's a lazy generalization to claim that everything was "great in the old days" and has been mucked up by lawyers today.