The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Bluesfan

AMERC brass?

What is the problem with this brass. Just loaded some in 40 S&W for the 6th
time. Appears to be no worse than any other brass I've used over the last 20 years.
Could someone please enlighten me?
Old May 11, 2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Hook686

Best I can gather is it is thinner than other cases. I suspect those that do not use carbide dies have a problem with cases buckling. The only Amerc loads I have are .30 Carbine. I use carbide dies and lube the cases. I still lose about 15% per reload, not to mention about 8% new fail to fire. I bought 4 boxes when I first got my M1 Carbine, but will buy no more. Of the 200 original rounds I started with I'm down to about 120 cases after three reloads. While I won't buy any more Amerc ammunition, I haVE put the Amerc brass aside and will only reload it again if I run low on other manufacturer labels.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.

Last edited by Hook686; May 11, 2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:29 AM   #3
FrankenMauser

My experience is with 9x19mm and .45 Auto.

The problems (not all-inclusive, I'm sure others will list more):
1. Non-standard dimensions.
2. Terrible quality control.
3. Flash holes off center.
4. Over size and under size rims (see #1 and #2)
5. Horrendously thick, and dangerously thin case walls (depends on the day... again, see #1 and #2)
6. Extractor groove not wide enough or deep enough for some firearms and shell holders (see #1)
7. Brass alloy varies from super hard to super soft (see #2)
8. Primer pockets have been know to be oval, and not the proper depth (see #1 and #2)
9. Flash holes too small (see #1 and #2)
10. Some cases are not brass, but steel with a "brass" wash.

Every piece of A-Merc I have attempted to perform ANY reloading procedure on was trashed by the process, or almost damaged the tool being used (die, deburring tool, etc..).

A-Merc cases don't even get to go in my salvage (scrap) brass bucket any more. They go straight into the trash.
Old May 11, 2010, 02:57 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

only burned once

#6, particularly in 45 ACP.

Nowadays, as a matter of pride, I reload them for range-only ("scrap") ammo.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Sevens

Simple process of elimination shows us that somehow, some way, no matter the subject or the players, there must always be a "worst" in every thing.

On the subject of brass cartridge cases, A-Merc is THE WORST. This is uncontested.

I am vigilant about eradicating this stuff from my world. I would be horribly embarrassed if I did a brass swap with someone and they ended up getting even one piece of that crap mixed in with what I sent them.
Quote:
Appears to be no worse than any other brass I've used over the last 20 years.
This makes me very suspect about what you've either used or observed in the last 20 years. You don't need any kind of a keen eye to see the problems with A-Merc brass. It's no mystery and doesn't need a microscope or other equipment to detect it's faults.

In FM's list, I've not actually witnessed #7, but that's likely only because I don't work the brass -- I get rid of it. And with #8, I don't prime the stuff and I haven't actually noticed an oval pocket, but again, I'm assuming that is because I don't do any kind of manipulation with this stuff, I just eradicate it.

I've clearly seen many examples of every other thing on his list.

If I see a piece of this stuff on a range floor or ground, you bet I pick it up, immediately. I feel like it's just my duty to grab it before a new reloader picks it up and tries to use it.

I actually think this stuff is harmful and dangerous to our world and I'd love to see these SOBs shut the entire operation down.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:45 AM   #6
DiscoRacing

my only problems with it has been with 44mag... it only lasts two or three loads before splitting the entire length of the case
Old May 11, 2010, 08:46 AM   #7
ZeSpectre

A-Merc meet crushing pliers <CRUNCH>
Crushed A-Merc meet trashcan!

The quality control from A-Merc isn't bad, it's NON-EXISTANT!
Old May 11, 2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Slamfire

Just wait till the primers fall out.

I collected some range pickup Amerc in 45ACP. Last time I shot from my ammo can, Amerc cases were dropping their primers on the way to the chamber. Caused a jam in my M1911.

On the first and second jam, I found the primer under the bench. It fell out of the pistol and fell on the floor. I was able to push the primers in with my thumb, point the M1911 down, and single load the rounds and shoot the rounds.

On the third jam, the primer rolled away and I never found it. So I had to dump the round.

I found other loose primers and split powder in the ammo can. I will find, in time, the AMERC cases they came out of.

AMERC is junk. I trash AMERC cases now. Not worth the bother.
Old May 11, 2010, 01:30 PM   #9
snuffy

I found what appeared to be a live round on the ground at an IDPA match. It was AMERC with NO FLASH HOLE! No primer either, it had apparently fired and ejected itself. It's sitting on the 'puter desk right next to my keyboard, as a reminder to NEVER buy any!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 11, 2010, 04:47 PM   #10
Bluesfan

Thanks for the input guys. Although I have not had any problems with the functioning of this brass I did notice some of the quality concerns that were pointed out.
Guess I'll shoot 'em up and toss 'em out. I have plenty of other brass.