The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 19, 2009, 04:58 PM   #1
IrvJr

Chrono Recommendations

Hi All,

I have been reloading for several years now but still do not have a chronograph. I am developing some hunting loads for my handgun and levergun and would like to measure the velocity of my loads.

Could you recommend to me a chronograph and also a good online source to purchase it?

I am looking for a good quality, but not premium model. I don't know if I need a digital interface or even a print out. I think some kind of chrono with a basic display and some simple memory function would suffice.

I don't really know anything about chronos and am looking for some good advice and recommendations.

I would be testing my loads primarily at an outdoor shooting range. However, the shooting stations are covered and are often in lower light (i.e., they are in the shade and on a cloudy day it might be dim/dark under the roof) so I don't know if that will affect the chrono operation.

Thanks in advance.
Old November 19, 2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Foxbat

Quote:
I am looking for a good quality, but not premium model. I don't know if I need a digital interface or even a print out.
You should definitely consider the two, both the remote display and the printer are incredibly nice to have. You don't need to buy the whole shmear in one shot, but at least buy the model that lets you to add them later.
Old November 23, 2009, 11:31 PM   #3
The Grizzman

I've had a Competitive Edge Dynamics (CED) M2 for the last year or so, and it works well. It has a remote display so it's easy to place the control module on the bench for manually recording the data. The on-board memory works fine, but stepping through the different strings to document the data after shooting's kind of a pain. The ability to transfer the data to my PC is helpful, but it's hardly necessary.

I end up needing to use the IR emitter more often than not, so I'm glad I selected a model that has that as an option. If you go the IR emitter route, make sure there's a battery option, as most ranges don't have a whole lot of accessible power.

I bought it from Midwayusa.

Good luck with your search.

Grizz
Old November 23, 2009, 11:35 PM   #4
Claude Clay

crono beta master--mounts on a standard camera tripod,
can add screen lights and has a 15' leash for its LED readout
18 years old and still working. ~$100

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old November 23, 2009, 11:54 PM   #5
PCJim

Personally, I own a Chrony Beta Master and highly recommend the unit.

That being said, just about any of the popular models on the market today will give you what you are looking for - basic chronograph information. An $80 dollar unit can provide the same information as a $200+ unit. It is not necessary to have all the bells and whistles. Oftentimes these units are used a lot when purchased, then become shelf space holders.

I've had mine for a year and have taken it to the range maybe four times. I have completed a lot of testing during those few trips, but find that it isn't something that will accompany me on each range trip.
Old November 25, 2009, 07:41 PM   #6
IrvJr

Thanks folks for the helpful replies. I went with the Chrony Alpha Master - it doesn't have any permanent memory (but it has a 32 shot temporary memory that resets when you turn off the device). It does have, however, have the separate display (that is connected with a telephone cable to the main unit).

I'm looking forward to loading up some cartridges and testing the chrony out!
Old November 26, 2009, 02:58 AM   #7
Lost Sheep

The Shooting Chrony and the Shot Chrony

I congratulate you for your wisdom on buying the Chrony with the remote readout. My first chronograph had the readout on the machine itself. Convenient for setup, but turning on and off had to wait for the firing line to shut down. Also, the unit only lasted one day of shooting. Fortunately the kill shot was at the end of the day.

My replacement unit wears armor - tested with 500 S&W Magnum (at a shallow angle) and the remote readout/control unit makes that possible and convenient.

I am writing because of your mention of "telephone cable". I have tried a couple of different stock modular cables with the unit and only the Chrony cable will work with the unit. I have not invested the time to figure out how they have their cable wired, but I suggest you do ahead of the time of need if you ever want to replace your cable or have a spare.

For more stories about Shooting Chronographs (note the double entendre) check out these threads:
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43&m=446105658
http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...43&m=128108669

Good luck.

Lost Sheep
Old November 26, 2009, 09:36 AM   #8
RWNielsen

Chronographs

I have (had) a chony F-1 that I was very happy with. They have a repair service for whatever and, even better, an upgrade policy. Send in your worn out, shot up model and get a better one for a substancial discount

http://www.shootingchrony.com/

I did this a week ago clocking my 44 mag....I think being too close, sighting through a scope, and my crappy shooting.......I'm going to upgrade this one to the F-1 master which has a remote readout and an optional printer.
Good luck and happy holidays