The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 14, 2009, 12:42 AM   #26
BlackFeather

I prefer the marlin 30-30 just because im comfortable with it and it is sufficient, that is if its under 200 yards... I also prefer lever guns because I feel I can rack the action faster than a bolt. Yet again as they have all said choose whats comfortable and ofcourse what you shoot well with. Any of those guns will kill it its just a matter of shot placement, if you feel you need to hit it with a 7mm than do it, but if you can do the same with a 30-30 then take the lesser recoil and lets face it "cooler" gun. lol

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 24, 2009, 09:22 AM   #27
4406v

A bear cannot be too dead but,can definitley not be dead enough.I would recommend the 7mm as that's what I killed my bear with.
Old August 24, 2009, 10:13 PM   #28
Fat White Boy

Plasma Rifle in the 40 watt range....
Old August 25, 2009, 09:09 PM   #29
Jack O'Conner

This photo was taken one summer at a Christian Camp in Poconos of eastern Pennsylvania. My daughter worked there as a Counselor for kids. The bear probably weighed no more than 300 lbs and did not have body armor.

My Pennsylvania friends seem to bring in at least one bear every year to their camp. Eight guys hunt from this camp in McKean County. The most popular rifle by far is Remington GameMaster slide action in 30-06. But a couple guys hunt with slide action 12 gauge shotguns fitted with rifled barrels.

I speak from experience: Marlin's 30-30 has the accuracy and power to down game much larger than common black bears. But my friends swear by their 30-06 rifles and that amount of experience can not be ignored.

Jack
Old September 3, 2009, 07:17 PM   #30
James R. Burke

The 30-06 with 165 grain Nosler partitions, or the one you feel the most comfortable with. Feeling good with a certain rifle will make a big differnce in your confidence level, and that is very important in my book. I just feel better with the bigger caliber. But thats just me.