The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 13, 2009, 12:46 PM   #1
rgitzlaff

Bullet casting question

I am looking into gearing up for casting my own bullets. As sources of lead I have read that wheel weights are good, and I know you can buy virgin bullet alloy lead online many different places. How about using bullets picked up out of backstop berms? The range I shoot at has the backstop berm littered with probably several tons of lead from all sorts of bullets. How useable is this lead for casting bullets? Initially I plan on just casting for centerfire handguns, but eventually for some centerfire rifles also. Since most of this lead will have come from jacketed bullets, is it pure lead or is it alloyed enough to use? Would I need to add any tin or antimony to make it better? Thanks.
Old April 13, 2009, 02:27 PM   #2
salvadore

Range lead is a great resource. homogenize it in a big plumbers pot (100lbs.), or make lots...ummm a pot full at a time and make ingots from each batch and combine ingots from each batch so in the end you end up with a homogenous buncha ingots. then you can use as is or add tin and antimony to get where ya wanna go.
Old April 13, 2009, 02:32 PM   #3
salvadore

Oh yeah and getting an accurate cast rifle load is better than sex. I'm lying but it is a cheap thrill. Joining the cast bullet association is not without merit also, their fowling shot mailing is a cornacopia of info. Have fun.
Old April 13, 2009, 03:48 PM   #4
CrustyFN

I have seen a lot of casting questions lately. It would be nice if we could get one of the Mod's to make this a stickie.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=346199

Rusty
Old April 13, 2009, 08:33 PM   #5
dahermit

The ONLY lead alloy that I know of(some others may add more) that cannot be used for hand gun bullets (or rifle), is the lead alloy used in no maintenance lead-acid batteries. All other lead alloys can be utilized for bullet casting either as-is or with some amount of additional alloying.
Old April 13, 2009, 09:05 PM   #6
crowbeaner

Check with us pot heaters on www.castboolits/gunloads.com. CB.
Old April 14, 2009, 09:37 AM   #7
rgitzlaff

How do you know if you need to add anything to your lead? How do you know how much or what to add? If you drop the bullets into water instead of a towel, and that makes them a good deal harder, can you get away with faster velocities without adding anything to the alloy? From what I understand, the harder the bullet, the faster you can push it, but you don't want it so hard that it gets brittle. Is this correct?
Old April 14, 2009, 09:49 AM   #8
salvadore

Here ya go rg, these folks can answer more questions than you can think of. http://www.lasc.us/
Old April 14, 2009, 04:25 PM   #9
rgitzlaff

Excellent site! Wow, talk about tons of information on everything you want to know about casting... I now have a ton of reading to do.. Thanks!!
Old April 15, 2009, 09:36 PM   #10
rgitzlaff

Is there a problem using old kitchen items for casting bullets? I have bunch of this stuff sitting around waiting to get rid of.. ladle, serving spoon, stainless steel pots.. Is there anything wrong with using this for melting lead for bullets? It would save me some money if I can use what I already have.