The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 29, 2009, 06:14 PM   #1
onehitwonder

remington 700 action

Does anyone know where I can get a 700 action? I have a magnum research barrel and a stock and trigger I want to use but just need to find a action to put it on. I don't want to buy a complete gun just to get rid of half of it. Also does anyone know how much difference there is between a model 700 and a model 7. will barrels fit both or do they have to be model specific?
Old January 29, 2009, 11:33 PM   #2
DnPRK

Buy the whole rifle and sell the unneeded parts on a gun forum. That way you recoup some of the cost and someone else gets the parts they need to fix up their rifle.
Old January 30, 2009, 12:56 AM   #3
Scorch

You can buy just the action from Brownells, but I would buy the whole rifle and part it out, unless you are squeamish about your rifle having been with someone else before.

I have a rifle for you right here, a real cream puff, owned by a little old lady and only fired on Sundays. Wanna take it for a spin???
Old January 30, 2009, 10:50 PM   #4
FALPhil

The Model 7 is a shorter overall action and is lighter. It is the same action as the XP/XR-100. It uses the same tenon threads as the Model 700.

If I were building a rifle, I would use the Stiller Predator action. It is already blueprinted, has most of the popular upgrades, and has has the same footprint as the Remington.