The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 1, 2008, 04:26 PM   #1
VA9mm

870 Dimple question

What is the best way to remove the dimples?

This is my project for the next couple months. Things I want to do it; Wilson combat M4 stock, Wilson mag tube extension, Wilson ghost ring sights, and last but not least Surefire forend.

Yeah I should have bought the 870 Tactical but I didn't have 750 at the time and this will be fun over the next couple months to do.
Old September 1, 2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

You can do a search on this forum for more details, but some of the methods are:

Grind them out with a Dremel tool.

Drill them out with a 3/16" drill bit, and smooth up inside.

Have a gunsmith who owns a shotgun barrel hydraulic dent raiser "iron" them out.

Use a socket from a socket set to "iron" them out.

Buy a hand-type dent raiser from Brownell's:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...0DENT%20RAISER

In all cases, you MUST be sure to polish the inside of the tube perfectly smooth and make sure there are no remnants of the dimples left to catch the follower or a shell.
Old September 1, 2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Scattergun Bob

VA9mm

I have a dent raiser for tube magazines, it does work and if you are going to do many it may be worth the 70 or 80 dollars. If you just have yours, take it to your local gunsmith. It requires some ruff treatment of your mag tube and as the above poster recommended, IT HAS TO BE PERFECTLY SMOOTH!!! Please buy a extended mag tube follower, they help keep the magazine working properly. Wilson combat makes a great kit, I am a little bias toward that product line.
Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 1, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
King Ghidora

I have to say the improvements you suggested for my 870 have worked out extremely well Bob. The extractor was much better than the one that came with my Express. The original was much softer and the edge was already showing signs of wear after just a few hundred shells. The new one is holding up much better, the spring gave me a better action right from the start and the follower is clearly superior to the original too and I know it will mean a lot when I get around to adding the extenstion to my gun. I'm waiting until after the warranty expires but I'll be ready when it does.

I have a Dremel or 20 but I'll probably take my Express to a gunsmith to have the dimples removed right when I go to do it. I thought about buying an older Wingmaster last weekend though. If that happens I'll have the Choate extension I have installed real soon.
Old September 1, 2008, 09:49 PM   #5
Scattergun Bob

King

Glad I could be of some service. I hope your express gives you a lifetime of pleasure and success.

I wish you were in my part of the world, I'd fix those pesky dimples for you, when the time was right.

Remember the KISS principle? Keeping things simple for combat weapons seem to work the best.

Good Luck and Be Safe

PS anything else, you know how to get in touch
Old September 1, 2008, 11:07 PM   #6
guntotin_fool

I have simply drilled them out twice, the deburred the inside hole.
Old September 2, 2008, 12:07 AM   #7
King Ghidora

Those dimples really don't look too hard to deal with but I'm sure I can get a pro to do the job for $10 or so around here. I can't see taking a chance on a nice shotgun for $10. If it was an old beater I wouldn't hesitate but it's a new 870.

I'm not real big on adding bubba parts to my guns. I wanted the extra capacity and I have a laser sight for my Express. That thing is amazing. I screw it on and it's perfectly aligned. It's not a big help in the daylight but for nailing those night varmits it's hard to beat. You put that dot on the target and pull the trigger and you automatically hit what you pointed at. To me that's a hard deal to pass up. It does cost me one round of capacity but for varmits that's no big deal. I may even save the extension tube for another 870 if I think I won't be able to use the laser because it really does a good job.

I won't be adding any pg stocks or tri-rails to my gun. If others are into that then more power to them. I just ain't like that. I prefer a gun to look like a traditional gun. I'll save the money for more ammo.
Old September 2, 2008, 01:07 PM   #8
Calhoun123

When I drilled mine out, I used a very small drill bit to create a pilot hole in the center of the dimple and keep larger drill bits from wandering. I then used a couple of progressively larger drill bits to completely drill out the dimple. I think I used a dowel and a piece of emery cloth or something to ensure their was no bur on the inside of the tube. It has worked flawlessly for many rounds. I think this is much better than pressing them out. I once warped a tube trying to press dimples out.
Old September 2, 2008, 03:28 PM   #9
Scattergun Bob

Drilling out dimples in express mag tube

I am OK with drilling out, as a solution to the stupidity of Remington. I use a dent remover brooch only because I have one.

I am not crazy about having two added hole for dust bunnies, duck poop, choclate bar residue, cig butts, ashes and the huge amount of foreign objects that seem to collect in scatterguns. that being said, it is probably the easiest fix.

If we do periodic prescribed maintenance on our scatterguns, this should not effect overall performance much.

Good Luck and Be Safe
Old September 2, 2008, 03:43 PM   #10
Calhoun123

Remember the holes are covered by the barrel band.
Old September 2, 2008, 04:03 PM   #11
VA9mm

Thanks guys. I know this subject has been beat to death here. I will take it to the gunsmith and have him do it. I will also have him blue over the bare metal where dimples use to be.
Old September 2, 2008, 09:56 PM   #12
Scattergun Bob

Calhoun123

Yep, I am aware of that. However you would not believe the FOD that gets into mag tubes, mostly thru mag extension having a hole at tip, Dust bunnies FIND A WAY.
Old September 2, 2008, 11:25 PM   #13
King Ghidora

I like to blow the dust out of my guns with an air hose on a regular basis. I just make sure there's no moisture coming out of the hose along with the air. It's amazing how much crud can collect in things if you let it.
Old September 3, 2008, 07:17 AM   #14
Calhoun123

When I clean my 870 I usually run a swab down the mag tube just in case, but I have never had a problem. Think about the big hole where your shells come out. Things are just as likely to find their way through there and you can't prevent it.
Old September 3, 2008, 09:07 AM   #15
Scattergun Bob

Calhoun123

I am glad that you have not had a problem with a stuck mag spring, shell or follower. However the first time a crimp opens a little and deposits some buffer material in the tube you'll see my point.

You said "Think about the big hole where your shells come out. Things are just as likely to find their way through there and you can't prevent it." If you really think about that, there is either a shell head or the follower blocking that "port of entry" at all times. So what is your point?

Shepherding 200 pump scatterguns thru their service lives, I have seen some "interesting" items come out of scatterguns. There is a difference between YOUR own gun and agency guns, especially POST academy loaners.
Day in and day out use, combined with a very few stupid patrol personnel can make for some wild discoveries upon return to station check-in.

one of the more interesting; scattergun muzzle used as cigar caddy, cigar burnt down even with crown

In my humble experience "Dust bunnies will FIND A WAY"

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 3, 2008, 09:46 AM   #16
Croagh

Bob - Do you apply heat to the tube while using the dimple/dent raiser? I realize it might be necessary to refinish but it seems a little heat would make removing them easier.

The reason I ask is because I bought the dent raiser and want to use it correctly.
Old September 3, 2008, 11:35 AM   #17
Scattergun Bob

Croagh

I've never done that? Sounds interesting, would not know how much heat to use!

For me I approach it just like drilling a pilot into hard steel. I lube the broach and tap it in just a little, pull it back, add a little lub and tap in a little more, back and forth it takes awhile. I use a drum sander and first medium and then fine to SMOOTH out the area. The area MUST be baby butt smooth to have perfect operation of the follower and spring.

Feel free if you have any more questions

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 3, 2008, 03:27 PM   #18
Croagh

Thanks Bob - I'll do what you do, with the addition of just a little heat, and see what happens this weekend. I was thinking that, if I don't overdo the heat, it may make the metal working a little easier. Course I don't want a slag heap when I'm done...

Thanks for your time.