The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2008, 12:39 AM   #1
dadams868

shotgun under 700?

So I am new to the shotgun world... highly experienced in handguns, but would like to give shotguns a try. Any advice on something to get? my max price is $700.. I am considering the benelli nova or supernova, the winchester x2/3, mossberg model 500 or the browning bps.. I'm not really sure if a pump action or autoloader is a better way to go for a newbie..

Thanks in advance,

Stay Safe.
Old August 28, 2008, 01:32 AM   #2
10-96

Are you intending to bird, deer, skeet, general critter control? Knowing that might help others make an educated suggestion. But, honestly, I'm going to throw a monkey wrench in your thought processes. I started out on a bolt shotgun, then went to all sorts of pumps, then tried the SA's. I'm not great with any of them, and I have both pumps (Win 1200's and a 1300) and two A5's that I'll only part with when I become worm food. What finally won my heart over were side-by-sides. My favorite clay, dove, and grackle shotgun is an ancient 24" Stevens 16ga. Next up is my 24" Stevens 12ga (circa early 70's). Then, for my run around the farm and ranch / truck SG- it's my 18" Stoeger 12ga. I don't know anything about Benelli's, I like the Win X2's, and I really need a BPS if for no other reason than to say I have one... I guess.
My advice- just pick one and run with it for a while. You'll get to know it, learn for yourself what you like and don't like about it, and have a better idea of what to compare it to when you look at another one. Shotguns aren't like women- sometimes you'll find a friend who's willing to let you try his out, and you don't have to stay stuck with the same one, and you don't have to stick with just one. Does that help?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 28, 2008, 02:10 AM   #3
zippy13

Try reversing the question, what if I tell you that I'm highly experienced with shotguns, but would like to give handguns a try. Add to that, my budget is less than any center fire handgun. What would you recommend? I'm guessing you'd suggest I get an inexpensive .22 auto-loader. I could plink with it, perforate paper and shoot rats at the dump, but for any serious shooting, I'd need a better gun. That's what's happening here, but there's no such thing as a rim fire shot gun. The closest thing would be a single shot .410 break open. We both know you won't be happy with one like that.

For years, the traditional adult entry shotgun was the Remington Model 870 Wingmaster. With it's dual action bars, it's action is smooth, the barrel is interchangeable and the trigger easily accessible. A zillion of them have been made, so there's a virtual cornucopia of parts and accessories available. Alas, the inexpensive 870 kept increasing in price and foreign guns filtered in to fill the vacancy created by Remington. The entry level market quickly became a quagmire. The current entry 870 Wingmaster has a MSR is $773 with the special anniversary edition being over $1000. Remington, in their wisdom, created the 870 Express. It's basically the same gun with a lot less spit and polish than it's older sibling and a far lower price.

Yeah, I know foreign guns with exotic names are intriguing and the Mossberg is attractively priced. But, IMHO, the best entry level gun is a pump and the 870 is the pump to get. Of course, like shooting rats at the dump with a .22, the 870 Express won't do everything for everyone. In games where you need a second shot, autos and two barrel guns rule. But, as a newby, your 870 is just a little slower and you don't have to worry about the care and feeding of a finicky auto nor the cost of an over/under. With the 870's versatility, many configurations are available.
Old August 28, 2008, 02:30 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

You won't go wrong with a mossberg pump or auto loader. Both are under 700 even in 3 1/2 inch mag. which will still fire the 2 3/4 inch. Both are good for a new shot gunner but the pump is a fail safe like a revolver compared to an auto loader that may hiccup at the worst time. Since you are new I suggest the mossberg... if you love shotgunning enuff to learn the proper fit and other nuances than you will have knowledge on picking a finer made gun.
Brent
Old August 28, 2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

First choice, a Remington 870. There's a good reason they've sold darn near 10 million of them.

Second choice, an 870.

Third through tenth choices, a Mossberg 500 or 590,an Ithaca 37, a BPS, etc.
Old August 28, 2008, 08:08 AM   #6
KMO

I would advise you to check out the Life, Liberty, Etc. short field strip videos on both the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870. These videos are easy to find on YouTube. Both shotguns have a simple pump action design, and both are extremely reliable. The videos might help you decide, as you will see how they are put together...
Old August 28, 2008, 11:54 AM   #7
Doyle

For $700, you can buy 3 Mossberg 500's. If you are willing to spend that kind of money, I'd go Benelli.
Old August 28, 2008, 02:02 PM   #8
BigJimP

Depends on what you intend to do with it. But a good pump gun, and I'd recommend the Browning BPS with a 28" barrel - for all around clay target games and birds in field.

A big key on shotguns is "do they fit" - meaning your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun and when you shoulder the gun / will the point of impact be where you are looking. Drop at comb, drop at heel - all affect this. For many of us - on a standard "field comb" like the BPS, 870's, etc they can shoot easily 18" low at 25 yards - so it means putting a pad or something on the comb to raise it up. Shotguns don't come in one size fits all - and its not just expense that dictates adjustability. Having said that - I still have the BPS's I purchased in the 70's / they're still very good guns - and it fits your budget at around $ 500 retail. Lots of shotguns are on sale right now - labor day weekend, bird seasons opening, etc .... so look around.
Old August 28, 2008, 03:18 PM   #9
screenerglenn

i have both an 870 and an sx2. the winchester is a great shotgun, accurate and reliable for an autoloader. as for a gun that will never let you down, go with 870. mine has been in the family for three generations and i'll leave to my kids when the time comes. good luck
Old August 28, 2008, 08:24 PM   #10
mikenbarb

Go with a Browning Silver. Nice semi-auto and you can pick one up for around what you want to spend. Why get a pump when you can have a great semi-auto. For a pump, +1 for BigJimP on the BPS.