The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 27, 2008, 08:44 PM   #1
mettle

So I did some horse trading...need help

I just traded for a Mossy 590. It has the basics; pistol grip(feels cheap, plastic trigger housing (will it last?), mag extension. No other extras.

I have been looking for help on learning what I need to learn about this weapon. It will be home defense until I make Sheriff Deputy or some LE and if I can use it for work then I will.

I've looked at the knoxx with 'm4' stock and will get one.

What about tritiums for front and rear? Who installs and where do I buy?
Can the front be installed by me? I am a consistent highpower M1a guy along with smaller AR toys and feel competent with shooting, cleaning and simple to medium smithing; but, this gun is a new game for me.

Should I stay away from certain brands for foregrips, lights and slings?

It may seem like a fishing expedition, it is!! lol. This is my first home defense/deployable shotgun ever.

Last edited by mettle; August 27, 2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: title change
Old August 28, 2008, 02:21 AM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

My take on it... regular stocks are best for me. I do own a PG but prefer my plastic full stock. for best price on a new stock check these...
http://havlinsales.com/default.htm
I wouldn't mess with fancy night sights. With the way I shoulder my gun it is aiming Minute of torso just fine. for some one leaning towards night sights I would suggest a mounted light with pressure switch... But that is just my opinion. As for the 590... My Mossberg is 18 years old and I have never worried about the trigger guard breaking and it is still a rock solid shooter.
Brent
Old August 28, 2008, 07:42 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

What your shotgun needs is ammo and exercise, not bling. A standard 590 or 870 right out of the box is a fearsome weapon as is.

Go shoot the thing until it feels like a body part. Then, if some addon will raise your effectiveness, you'll be in a better place to judge.

Light birdshot loads are great for starting out and familiarization.
Old August 28, 2008, 10:39 AM   #4
chickenman

Stock - I have the M4 stock on my 870 and love it. Its the recoil reducing stock not the one for $70. I also had the pistol grip on my 500. I liked it but the Mrs didn't I don't think a LEO can use a pistol grip.

Forend - Hogue makes a killer one. I like it but kept my stock one on.

Sight - Scattergun (Wilson Combat) sights. I love them but did not install. I let Wilson do that for.

good luck
Old August 28, 2008, 11:34 AM   #5
10-96

Call me old fashioned- but I have yet to put anything battery powered on any of my firearms. Dang, wait a minute, I lied. I used to have a night vision scope for my yote rifle. Anyway, learn your SG first, then play around with gizmos.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.