The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2005, 11:24 PM   #1
BigSlick

Square Deal B questions

Hi guys,

A new shooting buddy has decided to get into reloading on a progressive. He has loaded on a single stage for a while now and does a great job.

He is shooting 45 ACP only (at this point) and just received his first SDB. He bought it off EBay for about half the cost of a new one and it looks great.

He is asking for a little setup help from me since I drank the blue koolaid years ago. I have always been a 550 guy and have one 650 setup for 45 ACP. I know the 550 pretty well, never a problem I couldn't understand and fix almost immediately, never a problem out of the 650 other than some early primer feed problems that I got worked out long ago.

I am confident the SDB is a good machine, I am embarrasingly unfamiliar with it, and have a few questions.

First, the strong mount. With the strong mount mounted SDB, the stock (original ?) primer catcher won't fit properly. The alternate primer catcher (I assume it came with the strong mount) mounts on two ears of a bracket that is bolted to the bottom of the SDB, and still allows for clearance from the mounted surface. The only problem is, primers drop right past that thing, worse than a Rock Chucker. Can someone tell me how to mount the 'cup' ?

Second, the SDB ram seems to ride on delrin (or ?) bushings, thru the frame. Nice idea, but compared to my 550's the SDB feels like it has a little drag on it. How/where to lubricate ? Is lubing even necessary since the bushings are supposedly self-lubricating ? The SDB does have some miles on it, but it will turn out a perfect round, every time (so far).

Third, I'll admit further ignorance on my part and ask someone to help me identify the components on the tool head. It looks like the decapping pin is stationary and mounted to the tool head, with the sizing die mounted underneath (?) the tool head. I know the SDB dies are for the SDB only, but to my old school eyes, I am a bit confused with what I see.

Forth, the fail safe powder measure rod. It goes from the attachment point on the powder measure downward thru a bracket (that is frame mounted) and protrudes out the bottom, underneath the press. At rest, or during cycling the failsafe rod appears to make no contact with anything at the adjustment wing nut on the bottom. When the powder measure is activated (by a case) it operates as I expect and makes a physical return of the powder bar happen at the top of each stroke. Is it normal for the SDB fail safe rod to dangle unless fully engaged ? If not, how to properly adjust ?

Fifth, springs. The powder measure has a couple of return springs, like the old style 550 powder measures. I like the design, but the springs are looking a little worn. Since the failsafe rod is functional, are the springs even necessary ?

Six. The powder measure itself doesn't have the bolts on either side of the base to hold the powder measure 'tube', like the 550 and 650 does. Am I correct in understanding the tube is a press in fit only ?

Other little things (that don't seem to affect function) the bottom of the dies all have a slight amount of surface rust, as does the handle. Is this indicative of normal aging or has this press been stored in poor conditions and need a trip to Dillon for a refurb ?

Any advice, for using the SDB in general ? My friend will be shooting 2-300 rounds a week, with no plans in the near future to load anything other than 45 ACP.

Thanks in advance for the help...

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old August 19, 2005, 12:54 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Call Dillon.

They have a reputation for having the best customer support in the industry.
Old August 20, 2005, 08:05 AM   #3
LAH

Q: Second, the SDB ram seems to ride on delrin (or ?) bushings, thru the frame. Nice idea, but compared to my 550's the SDB feels like it has a little drag on it. How/where to lubricate ? Is lubing even necessary since the bushings are supposedly self-lubricating ? The SDB does have some miles on it, but it will turn out a perfect round, every time (so far).

A: I've use vasoline for 9 years and it doesn't seen to have hurt anything.

Q: Third, I'll admit further ignorance on my part and ask someone to help me identify the components on the tool head. It looks like the decapping pin is stationary and mounted to the tool head, with the sizing die mounted underneath (?) the tool head. I know the SDB dies are for the SDB only, but to my old school eyes, I am a bit confused with what I see.

A: The deca
pping pin is seperate from the sizing die. The die flo
ats under the pin and cap. The expander does the same under the powder measure.

Q: Forth, the fail safe powder measure rod. It goes from the attachment point on the powder measure downward thru a bracket (that is frame mounted) and protrudes out the bottom, underneath the press. At rest, or during cycling the failsafe rod appears to make no contact with anything at the adjustment wing nut on the bottom. When the powder measure is activated (by a case) it operates as I expect and makes a physical return of the powder bar happen at the top of each stroke. Is it normal for the SDB fail safe rod to dangle unless fully engaged ? If not, how to properly adjust ?

A: I adjust mine to barely touch when at rest & to not touch at all when handle is a primer seating stage.

Q: Fifth, springs. The powder measure has a couple of return springs, like the old style 550 powder measures. I like the design, but the springs are looking a little worn. Since the failsafe rod is functional, are the springs even necessary ?

A: Replace these springs, they are free from Dillon.

Got to eat.............Creeker
Old August 20, 2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

LAH has it right, though I have always used food-grade lubricants (farm supply outfits have them) on plastic.

The fail-safe rod was a Dillon add-on years ago. The first Dillon automatic measure depended just upon the springs, just as the original knob-operated measure did. The problem is the sliding measure bar gets powder dust caked up on it and it starts to hang up. Especially with a fine flake powder like Bullseye. The fail-safe rod addition is intended to break it loose when it gets stuck.

If you see the rod's fail-safe is having to work at all, it is time to disassemble and clean the bar and measure. Smooth measure operation without a lot of banging and bumping will throw more consistent charges. Try denatured alcohol. Acetone will actually dissolve nitrocellulose, but is hell on plastic. The measure parts have a permanently lubricated surface to mitigate this problem. If they have become seriously scored from grit and whatnot, call Dillon for a replacement of the whole measure.

The bottom of the SDB measure is different to fit the smaller dies. It has a single round head socket screw that holds a retainer in place that is like an upside-down "L" with an inside radius on the foot that fits a retaining groove at the top of the die.

The best operating accessory for the SDB is a spouse who likes getting you out of the house. Mine feeds cases while I feed bullets and work the handle. When my right arm gets tired, I switch sides and she feeds bullets while I feed cases and work the handel with my left arm. We can reload about 1100 rounds an hour with this arrangement. Don't know what she does while I'm gone shooting?

A friend of mine has a 1050 with the automatic case feeder and all the other bells and whistles. With one of us minding the primers and bullets and the other working the handle, we have hit 2400 rounds an hour on that machine.

Nick