The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 3, 2002, 09:26 PM   #1
nemesis

Slide Locking Back

I carry a Para Ordnance C7.45 LDA Companion and, up till now, haven't had anything bad to say about it. A short while back, I stuck on a Wilson Extended Slide Release because I didn't like the long reach to the stock Para release. Also, changed out the stock plastic MSH for a Wilson stainless unit.

Today, I went over to the Hole-In-The-Wall Range to run a few rounds through and had nothing but trouble. The slide keeps locking back.

Now I shoot "low thumb" on my shooting hand and the off hand is even lower. I don't "think" I'm bumping it on but....maybe I am.

I ran 50 rounds of Winchester white box 230 BEB, 50 rounds of Texas Ammo 185 Golden Saber reloads, 50 rounds of Remington 185 Golden Saber and 100 rounds of Remington 185 Golden Saber +P and had the slide lock back with all my mags (Para, McCormick Shooting Star, Wilson Combat) and all the loads.

I notice that the Wilson release is really very easy to move through its range of movement and will have to check the stock unit but I remember it as being a little harder to move into lock position. I will clean it tonight and fiddle with its innards in hopes of finding what is wrong but I was hoping that someone out there may be smarter than me.

Any ideas?
Old August 3, 2002, 09:50 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

nemesis, many times simple inertia will cause the extended stops to engage but there are times when the bullet nose is hitting it on the inside. Look for brass colored marks. If they are present file that area a little at a time until the stop functions correctly. If there is no evidence of the bullet hitting the stop then the fix is to have a detent notch drilled into the stop to allow the stop plunger a better bite. This will cure the inertia problem. George
Old August 4, 2002, 12:30 PM   #3
Nukem

I have a Coonan that did the same thing. A combination of thumb hitting it during recoil and not enough detent there too.
Old August 4, 2002, 08:37 PM   #4
nemesis

Gentlemen, I appreciate your expertise and your experience.

The Wilson unit has NO dimple to hold the plunger pin but the stock PO unit shows a little of something. The Para unit is reluctant to move into engagement but the Wilson just slops back and forth. I don't think the rounds have been hitting it.

I have a fair bit of experience working with firearms but not a lot with 1911's. I expected a "dimple" for the pin to engage but the Wilson has NOTHING and the stock unit shows a bit of something.

I'll try once more with the stock unit. Your advice is greatly, GREATLY, appreciated. Muchas gracias.