The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 11, 2020, 03:41 AM   #1
Nathan

XPR Trigger adjustment

I was adjusting my xpr trigger tonight and thought I would share results.

The moa trigger on my XPR is a pretty good 3 lever trigger, I believe. In the directions, it says that pull weight can be lowered to 3lbs and then the screw will drop out....IT WILL NOT.

That is kind of true. I got mine down to 2.75 lbs.

At around 2.75lbs or below, the spring doesn’t have enough force to reset the actuator solidly. This results in a very crisp and light pull that is irregular and sometimes slips off the sear......THIS IS REALLY DANGEROUS! You need to make sure the pull weight screw is screwed in far enough to consistently reset the actuator against the sear. When that happens everytime, you have minimum pull weight. That was not at all clear in the directions!

What is your experience?
Old January 12, 2020, 10:09 AM   #2
Nathan

I’m ok if nobody wants to discuss this, but I’m sweating that people will play with the adjustments until they get a super light pull and the screw didn’t “fall out” and then have the rifle go off in the field.
Old January 12, 2020, 01:51 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...nobody wants to discuss..." Your first post was at 0341. That's the middle of the night.
2.75 lbs. is too light for any deer rifle. 3 isn't much better. If you move while sitting, a 3 pound trigger can go off. Even for a varmint rifle, 3 pounds is light.
Old January 12, 2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Nathan

Interesting points. It’s fine. I was just surprised it went over 24 hrs, that is all.

3-3.5lbs is not a bad point to be at for most folks. Maybe 4-5 lbs is fine for most.

My point was that:

Quote:
In the directions, it says that pull weight can be lowered to 3lbs and then the screw will drop out....IT WILL NOT.
And

Quote:
At around 2.75lbs or below, the spring doesn’t have enough force to reset the actuator solidly. ......THIS IS REALLY DANGEROUS! .....That was not at all clear in the directions!
Sorry to quote my own posts. I don’t mean to look arrogant like that.
Old January 12, 2020, 02:08 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Hi. A screw failing to drop out(and promptly going into the Twilight Zone) isn't a bad thing.
And springs can be changed.