The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 6, 2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Sparky33

Selling C&R's between states

I am about to get my C&R. Can two people ,both with c&r's, sell/buy/trade without going through an FFL. I know I can buy from a online dealer and get it shipped right to me, but I'm unsure how it works between regular folks.
Old September 6, 2008, 06:26 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

Yep. You get a copy of the purchaser's C&R license and then ship him the gun. Make sure everything is logged in your bound book.

BTW, that applies only to C&R guns. Modern guns must still use an 01-FFL.
Old September 6, 2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Sparky33

Thanks that's what I thought. This c&r will be some of the best thirty bucks I ever spent. and please no comments on the best $30 you ever spent, this is a family forum
Old September 7, 2008, 09:47 AM   #4
VaFisher

You are the only one that needs the C&R lic, you can have shipped direct to yourself from any other state as long as you furnush the seller a copy of your C&R.
Old September 7, 2008, 07:39 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, some states don't recognize the federal C&R license, especially for cartridge handguns. So check your state law before "importing" a gun that might not be legal in your state.

Jim
Old September 7, 2008, 07:58 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
This c&r will be some of the best thirty bucks I ever spent
I just sent off for mine also, hoping it will be my best $30 also.

Best part about it was when I contacted my chief of police to ask how I needed to submit my 2 copies. When filling it out I realized it was copy 2, not 2 copies. He later e-mailed me back saying he had received both my copies. Obviously didn't even look at it. Not that I am saying he should have or that he isn't doing his job, just good to know some of the LEO think the ATFE regulations are a bit unnecessary also.
Old September 8, 2008, 06:59 AM   #7
VaFisher

Quote:
FWIW, some states don't recognize the federal C&R license, especially for cartridge handguns. So check your state law before "importing" a gun that might not be legal in your state.
Very good point, in most state's it's not a problem but it does exist. If I lived in one of those State's I would think I would be more informed on those type laws being I knew I lived in a State that doesn't respect ones right's.
Old September 8, 2008, 10:35 AM   #8
Technosavant

Quote:
Can two people ,both with c&r's, sell/buy/trade without going through an FFL.
There's one thing you need to remember. The C&R IS a FFL. It is not a 01 FFL (dealer) but a 03 FFL (collector). Thus, any interstate transfer between C&R holders is indeed going through FFLs at both ends. That's why the ATF lets us do it.

Now, some states (not many, but some) have additional regulations, but most don't. We went through the background check, we possess valid federal firearm licenses.
Old September 8, 2008, 11:11 AM   #9
Wuchak

Once you get it remember to never sign the original. You'll need to make copies and sign those when you buy a C&R gun. I have a stack of copies at the house and the original is in the safe deposit box.

Also register with Brownell's, Midway, CDNN, and other online stores. They give you a discount on all purchases. If you have a copy of the Brownell's catalog you can see the discount price in the item code. At the very end of string of letter and numbers before the item price you will see a series of numbers that will end with a letter followed by two numbers. Replace the letter with a decimal point and that last series of numbers is the discount price you pay with a C&R FFL. Some items like books aren't discounted while others are very heavily discounted like holsters and sights. Even if you never buy a gun you'll save the $30 quickly in accessories. If you aren't already getting the CDNN printed catalog go to their website and send them a request for a copy. The printed version has the prices in it which the .pdf version doesn't have.

Good luck. It took about 6 weeks for me to get mine earlier this year. No guns purchased yet but some CDNN orders.
Old September 8, 2008, 02:33 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I always hate to be the rain cloud, but quite a few folks seem to feel that having a C&R FFL means they can ignore state and local laws; that could mean a problem down the road.

I even had a poster on another site curse me and say that "my federal license makes me a federal agent and I don't have to give a **** about no ******* state laws and if any ******* cop tries to stop me I will get the ******* FBI to arrest him."

Just a little misunderstanding about how things work. I hope he has managed to stay out of jail.

Jim
Old September 8, 2008, 03:55 PM   #11
VaFisher

Quote:
I always hate to be the rain cloud, but quite a few folks seem to feel that having a C&R FFL means they can ignore state and local laws; that could mean a problem down the road.

I even had a poster on another site curse me and say that "my federal license makes me a federal agent and I don't have to give a **** about no ******* state laws and if any ******* cop tries to stop me I will get the ******* FBI to arrest him."

Just a little misunderstanding about how things work. I hope he has managed to stay out of jail.

Jim
Jim, in case you haven't notice they don't have to have a FFL of any kind to give you that kind of BS and think they are better then you or their [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] don't
stink. Come to think of it I heard the same about some fed's.
Old September 9, 2008, 05:41 PM   #12
Sparky33

Thanks for all the good info. I just getting rolling with all this and I'm trying to do it with getting the ATF on my rear.
Old September 9, 2008, 08:46 PM   #13
woad_yurt

Have fun with your C&R license. I've used mine many, many times. It paid for itself with my first purchase. Actually, 95% of my stuff was gotten with my C&R license. It's a great deal.