The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 10, 2020, 11:43 PM   #1
the45er

How to evaluate a Springfield 1903 A3

Can someone share a good website to describe what to look for when considering buying one of these rifles? I'm going to look at one owned by a friend who knows nothing about them either. I've heard that you can match serial numbers on parts but don't know that to be a fact. I want to know what I'm buying value-wise.

Thanks
Old February 11, 2020, 12:13 AM   #2
50 shooter

http://m1903.com
No time for rearranging.
Old February 11, 2020, 04:36 PM   #3
gwpercle

Be aware of 03-A3 rifles with receivers marked National Ordinance .
These are not military surplus rifles . National Ordinance manufactured new receivers after the war and purchased surplus barrels , stocks and all the other parts to assemble rifles ... they look like military surplus rifles but were in fact assembled after WWII on newly manufactured receivers with military surplus parts.
The receivers may have been investment cast , Ruger took advantage of this new process , the rifles do not command the prices a true military made arm does .
I have one and have shot it extensively over the last 50 years with no problems... mine is well made with minimum tolerances . For a shooter it is excellent rifle .
Just be aware of the National Ordinance rifles out there.
To learn more do a search on the term National Ordinance 1903-A3 Springfield rifle .
Gary
Old February 11, 2020, 05:12 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

I have a Remington 03-A3 made in 04-44 and its a neat rifle.
Some are 2 groove barrels and some are 4 groove, but they all tend to shoot OK as long as they still have bright bores.
Mine likes 47.5 gr of IMR 4064 and a 168gr SMK. It shoots 1.5" at 100 which is great for me
Old February 13, 2020, 02:23 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

That'd be National Ordnance, not Ordinance. An ordinance is a law.
The National Ordnance story is here. http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord.html
Their 1903A3 is discussed, at length, here. Including one post(#9) that says, vehemently, never fire one.
https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=16494
Matching serial numbers on parts doesn't really tell you much. Those parts can be worn out on a rifle that was made over 70 year ago.
Evaluating a milsurp isn't any different than evaluating any other used rifle. Overall condition, barrel and rifling, etc.
Old February 14, 2020, 11:02 AM   #6
hooligan1

Warpath Vintage in Denver Co.
The fellas name is Chuck, mpst knowledgeable person when it comes to these particular rifles.
Old February 14, 2020, 06:53 PM   #7
veprdude

Barrel date should be stamped near the front sight. Alot of 03-A3s have mint/near mint barrels since they were not extensively used by front line troops. They should test with very little muzzle wear on a MW gauge. There were also a lot of surplus 03-A3 barrels after the war.

Check the stock to make sure it hasn't been cut down/sporterized.

The alleged issues with the M1903 with "low number" and "high number" receivers is a non-issue with 03-A3 since they all should have received proper heat treatment.

There were a few manufacturers and some bring slightly more money than others.
Old February 28, 2020, 04:24 PM   #8
langenc

Had a new orig issue barrel put on my 03 about 20 yrs ago. Friend taking a local x community college gunsmithing course needed a project gun for the class. New barrel installed cost me $75. Wish Id got the old one back to do some hacksawing on it to see wear, if any.

New barrel is a shooter. Was at a DNR range few yrs ago few days before deer season. I commented to another codger-"nice 03" This is a "ought six,"
I was promptly advised. I didnt argue w/ him.

I was most of the way home to before I realized what he was getting at.

Great gun. Mine is sporterized and I traded a stock for it. Wish Id just bought the sporterized, Remington and kept my stock one. Back in the 50s-DCM(now CMP) would list in the RIFLEMAN those sales being shipped that month. I waited about a year for shipment. Now they ship hundreds every day. Price then as I recall was $35. Wonder what that is in todays money?
Old February 28, 2020, 04:59 PM   #9
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
That'd be National Ordnance, not Ordinance. An ordinance is a law.
The National Ordnance story is here. http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord.html
Their 1903A3 is discussed, at length, here. Including one post(#9) that says, vehemently, never fire one.
https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=16494
Matching serial numbers on parts doesn't really tell you much. Those parts can be worn out on a rifle that was made over 70 year ago.
Evaluating a milsurp isn't any different than evaluating any other used rifle. Overall condition, barrel and rifling, etc.
Thanks for correcting my spelling .
By profession I'm an architect and always reading the building ordinances...
I always did poorly in spelling in school.... at least I got close to Ordnance ,
No spell check and no secretary to proof read my letters and catch my mistakes here at home .
National Ordnance ! Spelling and grammer does count .
Gary