The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 20, 2014, 01:16 AM   #1
jwise

Advice on Centerfire Pistol Can?

I want to get a suppressor for a .45acp handgun. I will probably mount it to a 1911 and a Glock 21.

However, I also want to be able to use it with a 9mm Glock 17.

I don't want to have to have anything specially modified or made. I expect to be able to buy everything I need "off the shelf." This includes the threaded barrels, etc....

I know the problem is that the threads on a .45 are different than a 9 mm.

I have looked at an AAC Ti-Rant .45 can, and it looks pretty nice. Anything I should know before I pull the trigger on this? Other cans I should consider? Reasons to stay away from the Ti-Rant?
Old September 20, 2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Theohazard

The Ti-Rant is a great can, but you should also check out the Octane. The Octane has a few advantages over the Ti-Rant:

• Its baffle design is stronger and made of stainless steel instead of aluminum

• You don't need a tool to take it apart

• Because of the baffle design and material it will be a lot easier to take apart and clean if you're shooting .22 through it.

• Extra pistons are a little easier to get because the Octane 9 and 45 use the same pistons, whereas the Ti-Rant 9 and 45 use different ones.

• AAC doesn't offer a 5/8X24 mount for shooting the Ti-Rant on a subsonic 300 Blackout.

The only advantage the Ti-Rant has over the Octane is that it's a little bit lighter and the tube is made of titanium, but that mostly means the finish wears off the tube faster. As for which one is quieter, I've seen tests that put each one on top, so it's unclear which one has the better sound reduction. Either way, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between the two in terms of loudness.
Old September 20, 2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Machineguntony

Theo,

Do you know about whether a suppressor will wear or damage a gun faster? What is your thought on this?

It makes sense that it would wear the host gun faster because the blowback gas causes the frame and slide to interact more violently. On my M16, with my Saeko suppressor, the gun fires about twice as fast with a suppressor. I can't imagine that is good for the gun.

Here's a thread on this issue...

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-ta...uppressor.html

After reading the above thread, I inspected my hk45, as I have a hk45CT with a 45 can. I didn't see any excessive wear or damage, at least not yet.
Old September 20, 2014, 05:17 PM   #4
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machineguntony
Do you know about whether a suppressor will wear or damage a gun faster? What is your thought on this?
Not that I know of, at least with a pistol can. A locked-breech semi-auto usually doesn't cycle much differently with or without a can. Though I suppose the weight of the can bouncing back and forth on the LID could mess with the locking/unlocking on some guns. But I haven't seen it happen.

But a gas-operated rifle does cycle faster with a can, so in theory there's more parts wear. Though you can negate this with an adjustable gas block or a heavier buffer.
Old September 20, 2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Sharkbite

I have an Octane 45 that i use on Glock 21,23,19. Of the 3 calibers i MUCH PREFER shooting the G19. The 45acp gives a bit too much blowback and the 40 is just stupid. Like getting sandblasted with every shot. The 9mm G19 is a PLEASURE too shoot with the Octane on it.

I also run the Octane 45 on my 9mm AR and have the option to use it on my 300blk with subsonic loads.

I have an AAC Ti-rant im waiting on the stamp for as well. That can is one of the 9s models. So its a mini version of the regular. Not as many mounting options with the Ti-rant.
Old September 20, 2014, 10:27 PM   #6
jwise

I've never even heard of an Octane. Hmmmm....

What about a Gemtech Blackside?
Old September 20, 2014, 11:47 PM   #7
Sharkbite

SWR (Silencerco) have been around for years. I own 2 of their cans. The Octane 45 and a WarlockII (22lr). Lots of mount options for the Octane and the customer service is great. Ive called and email questions about their products and always get good prompt answers that dont make me feel like a fool for asking the questions.

If they made a short version (like the Tirant 9s), i would have bought it instead of the Tirant...hands down

My next can will be another 22lr one and im buying another SWR product.

Look at their product line...its good stuff
Old September 21, 2014, 02:36 AM   #8
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwise
What about a Gemtech Blackside?
The Gemtech Blackside is a previous-generation can that's worse in every way when compared to current-generation cans like the Osprey, Octane, and Ti-Rant.

Quote:
I've never even heard of an Octane. Hmmmm....
The Octane is made by SilencerCo, which is arguably the biggest name in silencers at the moment. I don't know if they're the biggest yet in terms of overall sales, but they're definitely the fastest-growing and most innovative silencer company out there. In my opinion, they have the best overall line of any silencer company out there.

And, in my opinion, the Octane is the best pistol can on the market. I worked at an 07/02 FFL/SOT and got to play with a lot of different cans, and I picked the Octane.

Here's a thread I made a while back comparing those three cans:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534697

Last edited by Theohazard; September 21, 2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old September 21, 2014, 09:40 AM   #9
jwise

I'm familiar with Silencerco, just not their most current offerings.

I will look harder at the Octane. What should I expect as to price of the Octane vs. Ti-Rant 45?

Last edited by jwise; September 21, 2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old September 21, 2014, 11:03 AM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
I'm familiar with Silencerco, just not their most current offerings.
OK, that makes sense, because technically the Octane was originally made by SWR. Then SilencerCo bought SWR and updated the Octane, but kept selling it under the SWR name. My Octane 9 was made by SilencerCo, but it says SWR in big letters on the side and on the box. And until recently, SWR had a separate website with a separate product line. SilencerCo didn't officially merge the SWR and SilencerCo product lines until within the last year or so.

As for price, they're usually priced about the same by most dealers. MSRP for each is $849.99, and lots of stocking dealers don't go much lower than that.
Old September 22, 2014, 07:26 PM   #11
srkavanagh6621

Interesting posts, I am not advertising by any means but my local dealer currently has AAC Ti-Rants in both 9mm and .45 for pretty much half off. I ordered a 9mm the other day for $447 I believe and I think the .45's are a little bit more if you are interested. Check out Dakota Silencer. Hope that helps.
Old September 23, 2014, 07:35 PM   #12
Coach Z

I have the Silencerco Sparrow in .22 and two osprey cans one in .45 and one in 9. They are all great performers and well built. I'd put another vote in for Silencerco
Old October 7, 2014, 02:17 PM   #13
jwise

I have a Silencerco Octane .45 set back at my local shop with my name on it. Just playing the waiting game...