The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 11, 2018, 11:24 AM   #51
Metric

I would test for reliability, and then consider the possibility of placing it in a sealed container with a box of ammo and burying in the desert (at a carefully chosen location), and saving the GPS coordinates in an encrypted file. An insurance policy that beats destroying the thing, imo.
Old March 11, 2018, 11:39 AM   #52
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
They have been fine and I now have 3 Taurus.
Wouldn't more than one be classified as Tauri ??
Old March 11, 2018, 11:43 AM   #53
kymasabe

All I know about Hi-Point is that most people hate them, they're ugly as all heck, they're heavy as a brick, and....they work. As much as I hate to admit it, everyone I know who has one says they're pretty damn reliable. they make good boat guns, truck guns, cabin guns, etc. I wouldn't want to carry one and perfer to trust my life to something a little better but, it sure beats a sharp stick and I hear customer service at hi-point isn't horrible (unlike Taurus...see my post on the now 12 week wait for repair on brand new TCP) so, if you have one, might as well keep it.
Old March 12, 2018, 08:30 AM   #54
Cheapshooter

Keep it, and shoot it. You might be surprised how accurate, reliable, and fun to shoot it really is!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 12, 2018, 08:56 AM   #55
Carl the Floor Walker

I think it is interesting how many "Budget" guns are coming out. When all along the Hi-point has been available. Many say it is ugly, but the more you look at it, you can see the functionality of it. Yes, maybe top heavy, but you look at the amount of recoil in the 9mm. It is really LOW. Genitron list it as below'

Also, as Cheapshooter said, the metal alloy might be different. But from what I have read, it has steel inserts. Which IMO should be on any good gun.
Given the comparison of the two and price. I would choose the Hi-point over the Ruger.
Old March 12, 2018, 10:25 AM   #56
Cheapshooter

All I know about Hi-Point is that most people who have never fired or owned one hate them.
There, fixed it for you!
Old March 12, 2018, 11:02 AM   #57
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
All I know about Hi-Point is that most people who have never fired or owned one hate them.
There, fixed it for you!
Seems to be true with a lot of internet folks. Especially newbies. Sort of like Sheepal politics, or CNN propaganda. They listen to a lot of garbage from people that know knowing and start believing it. Or just hear what they want to hear. The good news, is that all the bashing, actually has made me learn more about the gun and the more I actually learn, the more it sounds appealing.
And who cares about a pretty truck gun in the first place?
Old March 12, 2018, 11:32 AM   #58
Cheapshooter

Hi Point C9-$159.99
Box of cheap range ammo-$9.95
An hour of range time-$17
The look on the face of the guy in the next lane when he realizes you are out shooting his Glock.
PRICELESS!
Old March 12, 2018, 02:02 PM   #59
Cheapshooter

Deleted-duplicate post

Last edited by Cheapshooter; March 12, 2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old March 12, 2018, 03:07 PM   #60
Fishbed77

Quote:
People are on the other forums bragging about some of the Budget guns available. Yet this budget gun is out there has been and even cost less.
The Hi-Point is certainly cheap, but there are other factors at play, even for budget guns. Many of the other budget options out there are superior in terms of capacity, ease of maintenance, and ergonomics, and those factors are worth a little more money to many folks.

Everything is a trade-off.
Old March 12, 2018, 03:32 PM   #61
JoeSixpack

There are definitely nicer guns out there for a little more money, especially with market slump (Honestly I don't think of it as a slump but rather a return to normal, The gun bubble popped) Im seeing some nice guns in the 2-300 dollar range these days and some even sub 200

However if all you have is 100-125 to spend I don't think you can get a better handgun then a hi-point.
IF YOU DO have say an extra 100 to spend I would not recommend a hi-point as your only gun.
Old March 12, 2018, 03:52 PM   #62
GarandTd

Quote:
Especially newbies
I disagree mostly with this. I actually think it's the opposite.
Old March 12, 2018, 04:39 PM   #63
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Many of the other budget options out there are superior in terms of capacity, ease of maintenance, and ergonomics,
Well, you get one right at least. There are low cost pistols with higher capacity. Ease of maintenance? Ya can't get much easier than wipe it down, and brush the bore(if you want to). No need to take anything apart. In fact it isn't even recomended by the manufacturer. Just shoot it for around 5-6K rounds, and if it quits working send it back for a rebuild, or new gun.
Everybody doesn't have the same "feel" for ergonomics in a gun. But I find the Hi Point quite comfortable to hold.
Old March 12, 2018, 07:31 PM   #64
5whiskey

As many have said, the pistol is safe and it will fire accurate and reliable enough to be a HD pistol (assuming its not a lemon, and then they have a great warranty). There are better options when you get into the 200+ dollar range, but you can't beat a hi-point for working class folk who need a reliable defense arm for a little money. It isn't pretty, it isn't a concealed carry piece, and it is low capacity (especially given its size).

At any rate I digress. I like the suggestion of finding someone who is in need of a SD pistol and giving it away or selling it cheap if you're sure you don't want it. There are good single parents who live in rough neighborhoods that could use a defensive arm. Make sure you remember who bought it,write their name and license number down. Some may frown upon requiring ID for a private sale, but it helps ensure that we meet the one legal requirement we have... Confirming that the person lives in your state.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 12, 2018, 07:32 PM   #65
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Well, you get one right at least. There are low cost pistols with higher capacity. Ease of maintenance? Ya can't get much easier than wipe it down, and brush the bore(if you want to). No need to take anything apart. In fact it isn't even recomended by the manufacturer. Just shoot it for around 5-6K rounds, and if it quits working send it back for a rebuild, or new gun.
Everybody doesn't have the same "feel" for ergonomics in a gun. But I find the Hi Point quite comfortable to hold.
That is so true about personal ergonomics. Hi-point has been making this design for a long time. Something must be right. If I had not already purchased three guns in the past two months, I would get one.
Old March 12, 2018, 08:14 PM   #66
JoeSixpack

Honestly the ergonomics of the c9 I have is not bad at all, I mean it looks funky but it fits my hand pretty well.. the grips are kinda slick on it though.

It actually points really well for me, and the sights aren't half bad.

I remember when I first got mine I could not keep it on paper at 25 feet using the sights.. ya they was THAT far off, Apparently no one at the factory bothered to even roughly sight the gun in.

Point shooting it did well, I didn't have a screw driver with me to tweak the sights.

I had a new shooter with me, I had a S&W 22a, Taurus 92, Taurus Tracker and the C9.. she actually like the c9 best and mind you the sights was way off on it, but she somehow kept it on paper
Old March 12, 2018, 08:43 PM   #67
xcc_rider

I didn't like the feel of the Hi-Point when I tried one so I didn't buy one. I did buy a Hi-point carbine tho based on their handgun reputation for reliability and I love it. It's a tad on the heavy side, not the prettiest girl on the block but is extremely reliable and accurate for the price.
Some will say it doesn't have enough mag capacity but here on the left coast were limited to 10 round mags anyways.

If I were looking for an inexpensive truck gun or stash gun for SD it would definitely be a Hi-point.
Old March 13, 2018, 04:25 AM   #68
Carl the Floor Walker

People will call a gun ugly and disparage it all over the internet. Any one shot the ugly Chiapa Rhino? Lol, the gun shoots 357 like a weak 38 load and 6 rounds. I would love to own that UGLY gun.
Old March 13, 2018, 09:22 AM   #69
Fishbed77

Quote:
No need to take anything apart. In fact it isn't even recomended by the manufacturer. Just shoot it for around 5-6K rounds, and if it quits working send it back for a rebuild, or new gun.
Like I said. Ease of maintenance.

Many pistols don't need to be sent back to the manufacturer to be cleaned and maintained after a few thousand rounds.

Quote:
Perhaps comfortable to hold, but also more difficult to carry than many other designs.
Old March 13, 2018, 11:51 AM   #70
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Many pistols don't need to be sent back to the manufacturer to be cleaned and maintained after a few thousand rounds.
And those companies would charge you an arm and a leg to even look at one of their guns.
Quote:
Perhaps comfortable to hold, but also more difficult to carry than many other designs.
LOL, who carries a Hi Point?
Old March 13, 2018, 12:20 PM   #71
Fishbed77

Quote:
And those companies would charge you an arm and a leg to even look at one of their guns.
Let me get this right? You would prefer going through the hassle to send back a gun to a manufacturer after a few thousand rounds (and be without the gun for a length of time) than be able to easily service it yourself? OK. Whatever works for you.

Quote:
LOL, who carries a Hi Point?
If it is truly the only gun you can afford, and you need a gun for carry, I suppose that's exactly what you will do.

Which goes right back to my comment that certain "factors are worth a little more money to many folks." A comment that you yourself refuted.
Old March 13, 2018, 12:57 PM   #72
Cheapshooter

For the owner of a Hi Point, 6,000 rounds is a lot more than a "few". Probably more than a lifetime's worth. So it would more than likely never go back. Even the 6,000 rounds is most likely less than what it would take for a "dirty gun" malfunction. That's considering not cleaning it at
But with a very simple cleaning without disassembly I am sure neither of mine will ever be sent back.
Old March 13, 2018, 01:17 PM   #73
Cheapshooter

The "who carries a Hi Point" was a joke. Based on the common misconception that they are to large to conceal.
They are not, evidenced here by my C9 "hiding" benieth my EDC Springfield XD40 Sub Compact.
BTW, notice the very similar "ergonomics"
Old March 13, 2018, 04:59 PM   #74
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
The "who carries a Hi Point" was a joke. Based on the common misconception that they are to large to conceal.
They are not, evidenced here by my C9 "hiding" benieth my EDC Springfield XD40 Sub Compact.
BTW, notice the very similar "ergonomics"
Actually looking better and better every day. Thanks for posting. My local range has a program that if you buy a gun from them, they give you a larger percentage off the yearly membership. Purchasing the Hi-point may be a deal. I did the same thing many years ago, when I purchased my first Phoenix HPA. Turned out to be one hell of a deal. And still shooting that gun with thousands of rounds down range. A great trainer for my short barrel pistols.
Thanks for posting.
Old March 13, 2018, 05:08 PM   #75
Fishbed77

Quote:
For the owner of a Hi Point, 6,000 rounds is a lot more than a "few". Probably more than a lifetime's worth.
I won't dispute that.

You seem to think I'm anti-Hi-Point or anti-cheap-gun. I am most certainly not. I am merely pointing out that it is possible to get some really nice (or at least more desirable to many) pistols for just a little more money than a Hi-Point.

How do I know? My m.o. lately has been to prowl around for the cheapest, ugliest functioning examples of pistols I desire and have made a hobby of cleaning/fixing them up on the cheap as a bit of a hobby.

There are also so very nice new options these days for very cheap. I was able to pick up a brand new M&P Shield for $215 (after rebate) last year.