The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 16, 2018, 04:10 PM   #26
Bill DeShivs

A bolt through a sturdy piece of metal (floorboard, trunk support, etc.) holding a piece of chain or cable and a combination lock through the trigger guard should prevent theft.
Having a long gun with you is a good idea because you can use it if you are at work, or are forced to stay somewhere because of inclement weather, riots, and the like.
Old March 18, 2018, 08:20 AM   #27
jimsouth

I always kept a Henry Survival Rifle behind the seat in my truck. I can't give it a super review. It is better than nothing though. I'd say, if it was heavier, it would make a good club.
Old March 18, 2018, 08:24 AM   #28
jimsouth

I believe Ruger makes a revolver that used the same .30 caliber ammunition as the M1 Carbine. Ruger New Model BlackHawk 30 Carbine
http://www.gunsinternational.com › … › Ruger Revolvers - Blackhawk
Old March 18, 2018, 11:37 AM   #29
Johnny B

On its face, admittedly not knowing a ton about .30 carbine ballistics, I have to question how that would be advantageous over a .357mag, especially when considering a much shorter barrel and the much wider selection of ammunition.
Old March 18, 2018, 12:15 PM   #30
jimsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
On its face, admittedly not knowing a ton about .30 carbine ballistics, I have to question how that would be advantageous over a .357mag, especially when considering a much shorter barrel and the much wider selection of ammunition.
I have a .357 Blackhawk & a Firestar .45. Both very dependable. I usually shoot .38s in the Blackhawk. I had a .30 caliber carbine. So so. It is lightweight though, and easy to swing around. I know there was an M2 & and M3 carbine. One full auto & one ( I believe ) designed for infrared.
Old March 18, 2018, 12:18 PM   #31
jimsouth

Korean War M2 and M3 Carbines
http://www.koreanwaronline.com/arms/m2m3.htm
Old March 18, 2018, 12:25 PM   #32
Johnny B

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsouth View Post
I have a .357 Blackhawk & a Firestar .45. Both very dependable. I usually shoot .38s in the Blackhawk. I had a .30 caliber carbine. So so. It is lightweight though, and easy to swing around. I know there was an M2 & and M3 carbine. One full auto & one ( I believe ) designed for infrared.
Yes, the M1 Carbine is not without merit. I'm questioning the merit of a revolver chambered in .30 carbine over a much more commonplace, for what I can only assume good reason, revolver chambered in .357mag.