The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 15, 2018, 11:41 AM   #1
tpcollins

Question about Nikon Monarch scopes

I don't se an optics specific section so I'll ask here.

Nikon advertises they Nikoplex which sort of looks like a heavy duplex in their photo. Are they actually heavier than other manufacture's duplex, or is it just an illusion? Thanks.
Old February 15, 2018, 11:43 AM   #2
Don Fischer

Only way to really know is go into store and look through one!
Old February 15, 2018, 11:53 AM   #3
bman940

I don't think they are heavier then any other manufactureer's optic, but defintely worth takign a look to make sure. A lot of new choice's in Nikopn scopes this year. 22 new scope's were released at SHOT Show 2018. Some excellent longrange option's in both FFP and SFP.
Old February 15, 2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Picher

I bought one several years ago, but didn't like it as much as Leupold VX2s, so gave it to my son. VX2s are well-priced from several places these days.

One of the things that bother me is that I've seen "refurbished" Monarch's for sale in catalogs, and not long after they were introduced. Leupold's lifetime warrantee is hard to beat.
Old February 15, 2018, 03:32 PM   #5
bman940

I think you will be hard pressed to be Nikon's No Fault Warranty but at the end of the day all the optic's manufacturer's need to have a lifetiime warranty on their products to compete. It just depends on wheather or not dropping your bino's from a treestand or your rifle scope falling out of the back of a pick will be covered the way Nikon cover's their products.
Old February 15, 2018, 04:08 PM   #6
Bottom Gun

The reticles on my Nikon Monarchs are slightly bolder than the reticles on my Leupold scopes but not as bold as the heavy reticles such as made by Leupold.
A few years back I bought a used Nikon scope on eBay. I wasn't satisfied with the clarity. It seemed ever so slightly out of focus. I sent it to Nikon for repair and a week later I received a new Monarch scope in the mail. You can't beat service like that.

Mechanical engineers have their moments.
Old February 15, 2018, 05:48 PM   #7
shurshot

I looked at them a few years ago, but for the money, I ended up choosing a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 adjustable, which to me anyhow, seemed just as crisp and clear as more exspensive scopes. Mine is on a Remington BDL 700 .270, for deer, woodchucks, etc. No complaints here.
Old February 15, 2018, 06:19 PM   #8
Lucas McCain

I have several Nikon Monarch’s. I see no difference in the Nikon duplex reticules verses my Weaver Grand Slams, Leupold VX-2 or VX- lll . I can only speak positive regarding the Monarch.
Old February 15, 2018, 07:26 PM   #9
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picher View Post
I bought one several years ago, but didn't like it as much as Leupold VX2s, so gave it to my son. VX2s are well-priced from several places these days.

One of the things that bother me is that I've seen "refurbished" Monarch's for sale in catalogs, and not long after they were introduced. Leupold's lifetime warrantee is hard to beat.
I use Nikon camera equipment and about all I get is refurbished. Based on that I'd get a Nikon refurbished scope in a heart beat.
Old February 15, 2018, 10:53 PM   #10
blackwidowp61

Natchez SS has their Nikon Monarch 7 on sale for less than their refurbished Monarch 7s ($499.99 compared to $549.99).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old February 16, 2018, 03:52 AM   #11
bamaranger

nikoplex

Don't own a Monarch, but have an earlier Pro-staff, from when it was a higher priced scope than the Buckmaster. My early Prostaff has the Nikoplex. No way to be sure, but I bet the standard Nikoplex is the same, model to model. In my Prostaff, it is entirely usable, and not chunky at all.

I have a Heavy Duplex in a Leupold VX-III, and hate it.

I do not care for the Nikon reticle with the BDC circles at all, how do you get precision with no center aiming point?
Old February 16, 2018, 08:15 AM   #12
GeauxTide

Have replaced all my scopes (9) with Prostaff 5 and BDC optics, excepting the P223 and P308. The Spot On software is awesome.
Old February 16, 2018, 08:35 AM   #13
eastbank

all the scope makers jumping on the forever warrenty wagon are due to leupolds life time warrenty,s. I say take any of the scope makers scopes(tasco-bushnell- Nikon-centerpoint--burris-hawk ECT. that are 30-40 years old and send them in and see what reply you get. I have some of the older scopes made by some of the scope makers of today, and when some needed service, no go and so when they go down,its the trash can for them. I know leupold will go the extra mile to make a bad scope good, no matter how old or how it got broken by the original owner or not. with out having you jump thru hoops.
Old February 16, 2018, 09:51 AM   #14
fourbore

Quote:
Nikon advertises they Nikoplex which sort of looks like a heavy duplex in their photo. Are they actually heavier than other manufacture's duplex, or is it just an illusion? Thanks.
I had these in the past and it seemed like a medium duplex. The scopes are a bit heavier than Leupold for equal magnification and had less moa of adjustment. The glass was very clear and price reasonable.

Quote:
Leupold has discontinued the VX-2 line. Some features/models can be found other Leupold lines but many scopes like the 6-18x40, 3-9x32 and certain 12x have nothing similar in anywhere near the VX-2 price point. I was a big VX-2 fan. Those days are over.

This prompted me to take another look at Nikon. All I see ANYWHERE are Nikon with the crappy DBC reticle. It makes me sick. There is nothing out there for me.
Old February 16, 2018, 10:01 AM   #15
bman940

Four, You need to take another look! Nikon's 22 new scopes that were released at SHOT Show 2018 have many option's minus the BDc and with a MRAD/MOA reticle option. Why, because you guys asked for more of those types of reticle choices from Nikon. Take a gander, I think you will bve impressed since it sounds like it's been a while since you have looked at Nikon's scopes.
Old February 16, 2018, 01:46 PM   #16
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Don't own a Monarch, but have an earlier Pro-staff, from when it was a higher priced scope than the Buckmaster. My early Prostaff has the Nikoplex. No way to be sure, but I bet the standard Nikoplex is the same, model to model. In my Prostaff, it is entirely usable, and not chunky at all.

I have a Heavy Duplex in a Leupold VX-III, and hate it.

I do not care for the Nikon reticle with the BDC circles at all, how do you get precision with no center aiming point?
I have a 4 1/2-14x Nikon with the BDC, hate it! To get precision with it, I ignore the circles and use the turret's. I got a great deal on it brand new and figured Nikon could change it out for me. They won't do it, not such a great deal after all.

I am fooling with a rifle for a guy that has a very old Bosh and Lomb on it with tapered reticule. Now this is about as nice as any I have ever seen!
Old February 16, 2018, 05:57 PM   #17
fourbore

ok, here is one I might like. 4-16x duplex with specs, a little heavy but ok on a heavy gun List $450, assuming web prices are less. Prostaff 7

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...Tabs-TechSpecs

or 4.5-18x $399, better yet. Prostaff 5 duplex, no dots or circles . I assume PS5 gives up some to a PS7.

https://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/...-nikoplex.html

I am assuming the web prices are discounted. Like all the other brands.

Last edited by fourbore; February 16, 2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old February 16, 2018, 06:06 PM   #18
bman940

They wouldn't swap out your reticle because Nikon doesn't do that with any of their scopes. I know a company or 2 where you can order a custon reticle but I am not familiar with any comanies who make sub $1000 scopes that will swap one reticle for another. It sounds like you might like Nikon's BLACK X1000 scope. One option is a 4-16x50, 30mm tube,SFP, MOA/MRAD reticle and corresponding turrets. I have been using 3 and they are awesome. Turn knobs or use them as a BDC reticle, either way you can't go wrong. The MOA model is currently on sale right now for $449! Check out the Sponsor's here to see if one can help you out. Sounds like this stlye of scope would me much better suited to your needs.

Old February 16, 2018, 07:23 PM   #19
fourbore

I am not a long range shooter. If this is a dumb question, I apologize in advance. Looking at the MRAD reticle, it seems you would want a full grid like a big # graph paper grid perhaps one black line every 2 moa both vertical and horizontal. Other wise you are kinda of guessing if you need to quickly make an adjustment say up 2 over 4. Again, I dont shoot this sport. I am assuming a time limit and a spotter. With out the grid, might as well just have a nice clean duplex and use the turrets (quickly right)?
Old February 16, 2018, 07:34 PM   #20
bman940

That is why you have exposed turret's, in case you want to dial in your shooting data. You casn dial in your elevation and hold off the horizontal for wind adjustment. The new BLACK FX1000 scope is a FFP variation with improved turret's and a more detailed reticle for those wanting to shoot longrange.

Old February 16, 2018, 08:05 PM   #21
fourbore

Ok, good. Makes sense.
Old February 17, 2018, 10:48 AM   #22
flashhole

I bought a 4-20 x 50mm with the Advanced BDC for my precision 223 bolt action rifle. I love it.

I've owned two other Monarch scopes in the past, no complaints. I gave away both rifles with the scope attached. Wished I'd kept one of the scopes.

I presently own 3 Burris Signature Series scopes (IMO the Monarch equivalent) that I like a lot.

I have one older Redfield with the wide field of view optic (TV tube) and fine cross hairs. This is my favorite.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 17, 2018, 11:00 AM   #23
bman940

At the end of the day it comes down to what works best for your needs and your eyes. With all of Nikon's new scopes that were just released,22, many of you have no idea that Nikon was in fact listening to what you asked for and that's why you are seeing so many more MOA/MRAD reticle option's with other great features you want in the new P-Tactical/M-Tactical lines of scopes.

Old February 17, 2018, 12:59 PM   #24
flashhole

bamaranger - I do not care for the Nikon reticle with the BDC circles at all, how do you get precision with no center aiming point?

I respectfully disagree with this statement. I like the setup. The circle is not so large that one loses sight fidelity. I find it very easy to get precision with the open circle. If you look closely you will see the "cross hairs" at center occupies most of the area in the circle and you get full view of the target. It is not difficult to use the BCD setup.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 17, 2018, 01:59 PM   #25
bman940

It all comes down to what you are the most comfortable using. I have run across so many guys who hate the BDC reticle but have never used one even at the range. I have helped enlighten 100's of guy's shooting Nikon's BDC reticle scopes using Spot On and it's amazing how many end up owning one after triing it out. Hitting 4 inch jars of tannerite at 600 yards really will make a believer out of a person. But at the end of the day, to each his own.