The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 30, 2018, 03:15 PM   #26
RC20

Relodron: Great pictures, I have looked at them with magnify glass and could not be sure I was seeing what I thought I was.

This all makes better sense now. I do seat them tight and deep.

Quote:
I'd suggest before you fill the case with powder, stand the primed case on the bench top. If it rocks at all, rather than being flat, reseat that primer with a bit of pressure on it until the case stands flat. High primers can also make it appear your finished cartridge has the bullet not seated deeply enough, causing you to blame bullet imperfection, thick case necks, etc. Before you reset the die for that round, stand that cartridge on the bench to see if it rocks.
You are missing the point. Rocking or not is not the issue. Just because they don't rock does not mean they are right. Flush is wrong.

They need to be BELOW the case head by some thousandths (.002 to .005 as Unclenick has pointed out and with data supporting it)

ps: Frankly, once the AF are down, I am not sure you can compress a primer vertical wall short of a bench press of a couple of tons.