The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 3, 2017, 12:23 AM   #26
Water-Man

I hunted boar for several years using a handgun. Both 357 & 44 mag loaded with hardcast bullets. Weight up to 400 lbs..
Old May 3, 2017, 10:59 PM   #27
Ibmikey

Shot placement is everything, I put a 230 gr .45acp through a hogs head---we threw him in the back of the pick up and went about filling a feeder. We heard the hog kicking a bit but paid little attention until my buddy told me to take a look at the truck. Mr hog was standing, blood pouring from his head. By the time we got to the truck the hog staggered then jumped over the side and into deep woods, I followed but when he entered a swamp the pursuit ended.
A hole all the way through the head but did not hit the brain, surely he did not last more than a few more minutes in that swamp.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:30 AM   #28
rickyrick

Ibmikey, I had a similar experience.

I had a boar in a trap. Not too skittish but he was definitely chomping his teeth. From above, I put one .45lc Buffalo Bore right smack in the center of his head. The bullet came out the bottom of his chest (I figured it went down his throat) blood drained out like I pulled out a drain plug. His muscles locked up and he fell over and began convulsions. That's it I thought.

I walked to my truck to get some rope to pull him out of the trap, my back was turned. Got the rope off of the rack and turned around. The pig was up milling around!!!
He didn't survive the second shot.
Old May 4, 2017, 01:31 AM   #29
Bluecthomas

I've heard of a .45 acp bounce off the head off a boar and nearly hit the shooter.
Much as I love my .45 1911, I'd pick a magnum of some sort or long Colt .45.

On the hand, if it's that close to you, a good old Michigan bit 3.5 lb axe does penetrate boar skulls.
Found that out one camping trip. Only one other group there. They went to town after dark, leaving ice chest out. The boar wanted more...
Sadly, the rangers wouldn't let me eat it.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:09 AM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I've heard of a .45 acp bounce off the head off a boar and nearly hit the shooter.
Penetration tests results indicate that a .45ACP bullet will penetrate 2-3" of solid plywood.

Box-O-Truth testing showed that a .45ACP bullet was able to penetrate seven 0.75" pine boards spaced about an inch apart.

Hard to imagine that the skull of a boar offers more resistance than that...
Old May 4, 2017, 01:00 PM   #31
GeauxTide

45 Colt for Me

My son used my favorite load (280gr LSWC under 10gr of Unique) on a 150# hog running at him at 20 yards. Bullet entered below the right eye socket and departed the right ham. When I first started testing this load, I regularly shot 5' into mud banks and through 8" pine trees. This load performs like a 44 mag without the recoil and bark, but it is a reloader only deal. My rifle suggestion would be a 450 Bushmaster.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:17 PM   #32
rickyrick

Quote:
I'd buy that if it was a slight glance, you know a hair parter. But an angle that directs the bullet back at the shooter, I'll call bs.

I did have a handgun bullet bounce off of a steel target and stuck my leg... it stung, but only just a little.
Old May 4, 2017, 02:54 PM   #33
Old Stony

Gotta agree....a slight glancing shot could deflect, but not bounce off of a hog's skull. It's not much thicker than a humans actually and most calibers will penetrate it with no problem. I have killed a number of hogs in traps with a .22 subsonic round to the head with no problem.
The whole thing about monstrous handgun calibers to kill hogs is way overblown. Lots of the scenarios are something that was heard from a friend, of a friend, of a friend, of a ....well you know.
Old May 4, 2017, 08:41 PM   #34
chuckscap

I think my 45 Super shooting Buffalo Bore 255g hardcast at 1100 fps is plenty with good shot placement.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:19 PM   #35
Recoil spring

.45 ACP?

I saw a Youtube video back around 7 years ago of a guy with a 1911 in .45 ACP shooting a good sized hog. The pig was getting corned in a fenced area and decided to charge the pistol holder, the man fired and the pig felt the hit and ran the other way, then saw he was cornered and charged again, boom another hit, this went on and on until the pig figured out that charging the shooter was a bad idea, and he was undoubtedly loosing blood too.

I no longer remember the details but it convinced me to use something more powerful, I have a Ruger GP-100 in .357 mag, and a Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 Casual that I would feel more comfortable with. And yes, I do own a Glock 21 in .45 ACP. I suppose I could just machine gun the pig with my Glock, empty magazine after magazine, or try one of the new heavy bullet designs.
Old May 20, 2017, 01:34 PM   #36
tipoc

People have been killing hogs with 44 Spl. and 45 Colt at standard velocity loads for a good many generations now. They work.

So will .357, 38 Super, and others.

In hunting a good many rounds can be used provided good penetration and shot placement. In hunting you have time for this.

A charging hog is different. There the most powerful round that you shoot well at speed, with a good bullet for the job, from a gun that you can shoot well at speed, is advisable. The above two factors are more important than the cartridge.

If all you have that you can shoot well with is a .22 then bring that and a spear and a big knife and a bow and arrows as well.

tipoc
Old June 16, 2017, 07:18 PM   #37
MINSH101

I have asked a similar question to a buddy of mine who is an avid hunter. He carries 180 grain hard cast rounds in .357 Magnum for such a scenerio.
Old March 6, 2018, 01:00 PM   #38
hardcastonly

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

this NEI cast bullet over 13 grains of H110 powder has been a very effective combo in my brother in laws no longer made dan wesson 8" 357 mag revolver
shot placement is critical but the bullets shoot through and exit on every hog shot so far. ranges tend to be under 40 yards, bullets are cast from 95% WW allow and 5% pure tin
yes you might think a 44 mag would be more effective but its shot placement more than power thats the critical factor and with bullets punching through and exiting, lack of power is not an issue

HIS REVOLVER IS VERY SIMILAR TO THIS PICTURE
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/de...l&type=Handgun

yes Id suggest a 44 mag loaded with a 300 grain lee bullet over 20 grains of H110 is a more effective hunting revolver, but its hard to argue with decades of success using a 357 mag.

Last edited by hardcastonly; March 6, 2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old March 6, 2018, 03:34 PM   #39
RETG

This would probably work...and is what I carry in my PX4 when in the wild.

This would be better, and I also carry this when in Grizzly country...
44 Rem Mag 320gr Hunter HC

I guarantee that this will work....

Weatherby Select Plus .460 Weatherby Magnum
Old March 6, 2018, 07:32 PM   #40
tallball

Where my BiL lives out int the country in East Texas, they are very common snd a real nuisance. He prefers his 44 magnum lever-action carbine.
Old March 6, 2018, 08:30 PM   #41
Dufus

For hog hunting down here, I load down, not up like a lot of folks think you should.

45 Colt is a 260 gr cast pushed around 650-700 fps.

45 ACP uses a 230 gr cast bullet at about the same velocity.

The only thing I haven't shot one with is my 22 Hornet. It is for rabbits, squirrels and turtles. Maybe a skunk once in a while, but I mostly just run them off.

MY BIL tried to poke a hole in a pig one night with his 22 Hornet, but all he did was scatter them to the next farm with no kills. Dumb ass was using a varmint bullet.

I have only shot a few pigs with the 357 and a 150 gr cast SWC at about 850 fps.

Never shot one with a 9mm, but one of my nephews has used the 124 gr Nosler at close to 950 fps.

Lower velocity handguns kills them just as dead as a rifle round does, but by lowering down the load, saves on meat damage.
Old March 8, 2018, 02:54 PM   #42
JERRYS.

I've used a 45acp with wwb 230gr. fmj to kill an Arkansas razorback. I used a .22lr rifle to do the same. neither time was I on the hunt for a pig, just happened across them, or they happened across me.