The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 16, 2018, 01:49 PM   #1
adamBomb

DAO or DA/SA for CCW

What are some DAO or DA/SA guns (hammer only but can be internal/external) that you use for CCW (also that preferably have a manual safety)?

I currently carry a SW MP Bodyguard that is DAO and sometimes I feel I need something with a higher capacity, for example, when I am camping. But I really enjoy the MP Bodyguard for most of my ccw. I also love my home defense Beretta 92FS. What are some in-betweens I should consider in my search with a 12-15 round capacity that is ideal for ccw?

Last edited by adamBomb; March 16, 2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old March 16, 2018, 02:46 PM   #2
jr24

For a compact size, light weight, carry my suggestion would be to look at the CZ P07.

Great size, good shooter, reasonably priced.

Though I prefer strikers for CCW myself
Old March 16, 2018, 02:50 PM   #3
TunnelRat

So the P-07 is a nice option, but it doesn't allow you to use the manual safety as well as have a dedicated decocker.

Do I have it right that you want both a DA like trigger, at least on the first shot, and a manual safety?
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 16, 2018, 03:54 PM   #4
sigarms228

Check out the HK P30SK. I really like mine and it is hammer fired. It has option for DA/SA, DA/SA with safety that also works with the hammer down, and LEM which is what I have. Also has three magazine options 10, 13, and 15 round. I usually CCW mine with the 13 round magazine but sometimes with the 10. I use an Ozark single clip kydex holster to CCW it.

https://hk-usa.com/hk-models/p30sk/

Here is mine with the HK 13 round magazine.

In the Ozark holster.

Last edited by sigarms228; March 16, 2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old March 16, 2018, 04:37 PM   #5
adamBomb

Quote:
Do I have it right that you want both a DA like trigger, at least on the first shot, and a manual safety?
That is my preference. I am comfortable without a safety as long as the hammer is external but I still prefer it when its an option. Both my bodyguard and 92FS have the safety, so I've been training with it and do prefer it.

Some guns I have been considering but need to go check out:

HK USPc
HKp30
Beretta px4 compact
Beretta px4 subcompact

The issue with the HKs is that I have yet to see them locally unless used, which makes it tough to get my hands on one let alone rent it. I guess they aren't as common in gun stores? I see one of the pawn shops in my area may be a dealer so I can check it out but none of the LGS carry them new.
Old March 16, 2018, 04:53 PM   #6
sigarms228

Quote:
The issue with the HKs is that I have yet to see them locally unless used, which makes it tough to get my hands on one let alone rent it. I guess they aren't as common in gun stores? I see one of the pawn shops in my area may be a dealer so I can check it out but none of the LGS carry them new.
My LGS had about 30 new ones on display last week. Smaller gun stores may not have as many as HKs around here.

BTW HK lowered the price on the P30 series around the first of the year. A new P30 is $599 at my LGS and they can be purchased for less online.

The P30 is as tall the the Glock 17 which makes it difficult for CCW for many of us and is why I bought by P30SK which has external hammer but it is flush with the back of the frame.
Old March 16, 2018, 05:22 PM   #7
TunnelRat

The availability of HKs seems to vary a lot. The biggest store near me is lucky if it has 6 or more at a time. The next biggest store have shelves of them.

The HKs are nice pistols, as is the PX4 series. The FNX is another that gives that option but it's a bit big for CCW.
Maintain situational awareness
Old March 17, 2018, 08:49 AM   #8
OhioGuy

I tried several before settling on the CZ P-07. It's virtually identical to the G19 or M&P 2.0 Compact in dimensions, and I found the DA trigger pull to be a bit lighter (in feel, anyway) than the others.

If you want something smaller that's still excellent but hard to find (and almost no aftermarket really), the CZ 75 RAMI is pretty nice too. A tad bigger than the G26, with (I think?) 12 round capacity and a pretty nice trigger. All-metal frame and very solid shooter. They're just REALLY hard to find.

I like the PX4 Compact from Beretta, but it had too many irritating things I knew I'd have to fix immediately. I wanted a Decocker only, and also the sharp "wings" on the standard model almost cut my hand when racking the slide. These can all be changed with aftermarket Beretta parts, but it raises the price. The specifically "Compact Carry" model fixes all this stuff, adds night sights and makes the trigger much better but comes in at $800 which I don't think is a good value at all. The P-07 gave me most of those things for $460.

The PX4 subcompact is a short, fat little thing that I really didn't like at all. My dad has one. I could be pretty accurate with the Compact, but for some reason the Subcompact felt like a little brick in my hand and I couldn't hit jack with it.

(Jack wouldn't stand still! )

H&K's guns scream "quality" and i really like them. They're chunky, but give the option of 10, 12 and 15 round mags to fit your concealment needs. The SK variants are concealable but can scale up to those larger capacities really nicely. I thought the DA pull on the DA/SA model was too long and heavy -- CZ was much better IMO -- but the SA trigger was nice.

The "LE" model that comes with the DAO trigger is SWEET. It's like a slightly longer, barely heavier but very smooth striker trigger, so it requires no extra training to get used to different trigger pulls, and it has an exposed hammer that you can ride with your thumb when holstering, which again IMO is an awesome thing to have, since that's where a huge number of negligent discharges occur. As I carry AIWB, I'm always very thankful to have that hammer to ride.

Last one to check out would be Springfield's XD-E. That's a slim single stack with 8/9 capacity. It's kinda ugly but for the price has some really nice features like the fiber optic front sight. The safety/decocker is unobtrusive and the trigger honestly is pretty good. It's quite large and heavy for a single stack (vs. guns like PPS or G43) and I found the P-07 to conceal almost as well...with a loose shirt of course...but has almost double the capacity. But if capacity isn't a big deal (and really, I guess if in CCW you ever find yourself needing more than 8+1 you're probably in a really bad situation anyways!) the XD-E could be your baby.

My summary:

- If G19 size is ok for you, I can't recommend the CZ P-07 highly enough.

- If you want to be able to scale up/down and have something shorter, and thickness isn't a problem, the H&K P30SK is a great option and you should seriously look at the LE DAO trigger option. Just we warned of the co$t of H&K

- If you need something more concealable and thickness is a concern, the XD-E is a really good value.
Old March 17, 2018, 02:20 PM   #9
kymasabe

My s&w cs9...awesome gun.
Old March 17, 2018, 04:19 PM   #10
pblanc

There are a fair number of compact, hammer-fired, DA/SA pistols with an external manual safety. If you like your Beretta 92FS and are comfortable with the operation of the slide-mounted safety/decocker lever, the Beretta PX4 compact with its 15 round magazine capacity in 9 mm would seem an obvious choice. I do agree that the "bat wing" safety/decocker levers are a bit sharp. They can be taken down a bit and refinished with cold blue if you find them too aggressive. The PX4 "stealth" lever kit will convert the "F" model PX4 with safety/decocker to a "G" model (no safety/decocker only).

As for hammer-fired, DAO pistols, they are becoming somewhat rare. I believe that Beretta used to make a version of the compact PX4, the type D-26 that was DAO with a manual safety but I have only seen it in .45 ACP and I don't know how many were made. The regular PX4 D compact was available in 9 mm Luger but did not have an external safety. I am not sure if Beretta is currently still producing it but I'm sure they can still be found.

Plenty of Beretta 92 D types were made but they also lacked an external safety and might be a bit too large for carry.

It seems that SIG Sauer has dumped the DAO and DAK versions of their classic P series pistols as well as the polymer-framed, hammer-fired P250. They all lacked external safeties.

I really haven't seen any DAO hammer-fired pistols with external safeties in the flesh although I am sure a few exist. The long DA trigger pull is considered to be sufficient safety for most in DAO hammer-fired pistols and double action and DAO revolvers. Even in DA/SA pistols, I prefer those with decockers only, like SIGs or G type Berettas to those with safeties or safety/decockers.

The DAO SIG P250 compact in 9 mm (15 round capacity) or subcompact (with 12 round capacity) can still be found. The trigger pull, while quite long like that of most DAO, hammer-fired pistols, is reasonably light and very smooth.
Old March 17, 2018, 04:28 PM   #11
lamarw

DA/SA Why restrict yourself? The first shot is the decision point. Once you decided to pull the double action trigger, then go with the quicker & lighter single action follow-ups.
Old March 18, 2018, 07:19 PM   #12
bjw741

Bersa also offers a compact DA/SA with a decocker and external manual safety. It used to be called the Thunder Ultra Compact Pro but is now referred to as the TPRC Series.
The 9mm weighs 23 oz., is 6.5" long, and sports 13+1 capacity.

Heres a link to the Bersa website for more info:

https://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/be...ms/tprc-series

http://bersa.eagleimportsinc.com/ber...ms/tprc-series
Old March 18, 2018, 08:06 PM   #13
Model12Win

Most tactical operators prefer the single-action striker pistols for maximum combat effectiveness in the warzone battlespace.

Me? I like a DA/SA. My Walther P99 is great and I appreciate the first deliberate pull.
Old March 18, 2018, 08:37 PM   #14
muzzleblast...

DAO or DA/SA? I own both and am basically happy with either. As for DAO with 12-15 round capacity, I like the S&W 3rd generation 6946 and 5946. I haven't ventured into the SIG DAK or H&K LEM offerings.
Old March 20, 2018, 06:46 AM   #15
jetinteriorguy

CZ P07, carry at half cocked for an easier DA first shot that’s still plenty safe and great trigger for follow up shots. Very accurate, ultra reliable, and great ergonomics.
Old March 20, 2018, 07:32 AM   #16
Tactical Jackalope

Hello!

Well, definitely DA/SA > DAO.

I recommend the following in no particular order.

HK USP 9 Compact
HK P30 or P30sk
SIG Sauer P229 (almost full-sized)
SIG Sauer P224 (double stack)
SIG Sauer P239 or P225 (single stacks)

I love me some good ol' DA/SA.
Old March 20, 2018, 07:53 AM   #17
MandolinMan

One option that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the Arex Zero 1 compact. While fairly new to the US market, it seems to be getting very positive reviews. It should fit your preference of DA/SA with decocker and manual safety.

Home site: http://www.arex.si/weapons/

For sale here: https://coppercustom.com/brands/arex...t-rex-zero-1cp
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old March 20, 2018, 11:39 AM   #18
JDBerg

An HK P30sks (the “s” suffix indicates the thumb safety version) ticks all the boxes for you. I’m not a big fan of thumb safeties in general except on a 1911, but I think that the HK thumb safety is the most useful design over the rest of the manufacturers designs, in that you don’t have to cock an HK with a thumb safety to lock it.

So while I don’t personally see the point in engaging the thumb safety while the gun is decocked, you have that option if you want it. So a P30sks with a really Light LEM trigger works great for carry when that safety is on. A great gun with a lot of useful options as a CCW
Old March 20, 2018, 11:51 AM   #19
HighValleyRanch

Wish there were more options for single stack DA/SA
Old March 20, 2018, 11:54 AM   #20
GunFickle

Beretta PX4 storm w/3.2 barrel, 9mm 10rd capacity, SA/DA.
Old March 20, 2018, 03:24 PM   #21
BIGR

Going to say this about the Sig hammer fired pistols, which I own as follows.

P226 DA/SA, 9MM
P226 DA/SA, .357 Sig
P229 DA, .357 Sig

I can out shoot the P229 any day of the week with either one of the P226's, PERIOD.

Sorry, I just can't master that D/A only trigger pull of the P229 as far as accuracy like the DA/SA pistols I have. Could I defend myself from 20 yards on in with it if it was all I had, yelp. You ask why do I even have it? I bought it for a steal of a deal years ago.

Personally I will never, never, ever buy another D/A only hammer fired pistol.
Old March 21, 2018, 03:04 AM   #22
ftttu

I'm a retired lEO, and we were DA/SA in my academy, but the following academies went DAO and then Glock Safe Action. I was already a gun guy and thought DAO was for woosies, but I later changed my mind after years of inservice training.

If you may use a pistol in a highly stressful situation, it is safer to use a DAO because of the loss of fine finger movement control. I lowered my Glock trigger, and I fired a couple of rounds before I was actually ready during firearms training where stress was involved. I retired before bumping it back up, but looking back, I should have done it. Also, the consistent trigger pull is always a plus.

For a range gun, to me, the lighter the better.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:26 PM   #23
KyJim

Take a look at the original S&W 9mm Compact (not M2.0). It has a 3.5 inch barrel and holds 12 rounds in standard mag. The trigger on the early models left something to be desired but is better on the latter models. Some models come with a thumb safety and others don't. Here's one that does: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...12%2B1+9mm+3.5. Shop around a bit. You may find better prices since the M2.0 has come out (longer barrel).
Old March 27, 2018, 08:57 AM   #24
chemcal

P99AS is very nice; how about the discontinued sig 250sc? long smooth DAO, but I use it and the 99; my range gun is a PPQ.