The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 13, 2016, 06:50 PM   #26
csmsss

Switchblades are pretty much useless as fighting weapons because their lock mechanisms are so weak and, generally, the blades are of poor quality. A fixed blade knife is always preferable to any folding blade if you're in the unfortunate situation of having to defend yourself with an edged weapon.

I love knives, but don't carry one for self defense because TX law requires blade lengths under 4" for carry. And I'm no expert with a blade. A collapsible baton is probably the best non-firearm weapon you can carry, if your state allows it. Unfortunately, TX does not. Even with a CHL. They're verboten for carry.
Old February 14, 2016, 09:14 AM   #27
RiponP90

csmss I think it also greatly depends on the knife itself too. I would trust a Benchmade or Microtech well over something stamped made in China. I think any knife isn't really a good option for fighting if you are planning on using it as your primary option, in my opinion they are simply backups in which case a switchblade is a decent option since it can easily be concealed.

I do remember when I was living in El Paso though that whenever anyone got in a knife fight, even if it was for self defense, they would charge both parties with attempted murder since it was such a nasty ordeal. Texas had some quirky laws but I thought they recently passed a law that allowed switchblades for those with a carry permit?

Wisconsin is also home to the best collapsible batons so yay
Old February 14, 2016, 03:09 PM   #28
csmsss

Ripon, Texas recently updated it's statutory laws, instituting a state preemption over local laws: http://www.kniferights.org/index.php...sk=view&id=322

Switchblades, however they be defined, are also now legal.

However, Texas retains a very ambiguous statute defining illegal knives for carry:
(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
(B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
(C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
(D) bowie knife;
(E) sword; or
(F) spear.

The term "bowie knife" has been used to describe such a vast array of edged weapons, it could be applied to just about any knife.