The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 16, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Derekc294

Removal of iron sight

I have a Superior Arms AR and I am looking to remove the front iron sight. Any ideas?
Old January 16, 2013, 08:43 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

This depends on how the original sight is mounted on the barrel.

Original type AR front sight assemblies are held on by two tapered pins, usually entering from the right side.
Many other of todays rifles have front sight-gas block assemblies held on by Allen screws.

The pinned sights are removed by getting the rifle well braced with wood blocks and using a punch to drive the tapered pins out.
It's best to get the pins started with a "starter punch" which is just a standard punch that's cut off to a 1/2" working length.
Once the pins are moving, switch to a standard punch to finish removal.
Then use a block of wood to gently bump the assembly forward and off the barrel.
Note the the tapered pins "usually" are driven in from the right side and out from the left side, but check the ends of the pins to insure they were not installed from the left side.

The Allen screw type is removed by just removing the Allen screws and bumping the assembly off.
Old January 16, 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Derekc294

Thank you!!!!! I will post a picture tomorrow. It does not have the Allen bolts. They look like pins.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Fishbed77

Are you looking to install a free-float forearm that extends longer than the front sight base/gas block will allow?

If so, you could just use a Dremel or grinder to remove the front sight and leave the gas block in place.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:47 PM   #5
mehavey

Quote:
I have a Superior Arms AR and I am looking to remove the front iron sight. Any ideas?
Out of curiosity, why are you removing the sight?
Old January 17, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
Derekc294

I wanted to remove it to go with the flipup style for when I am not using the scope.
Old January 17, 2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

In that case, the best option is to remove the entire front sight assembly and replace it with a gas block that has a rail for a flip up sight.

The only "trick" to mounting a new block once the original sight is off is making sure the block is centered over the gas port in the barrel, and making sure it's not canted to one side.

You should be able to re-use the gas tube with the new block.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:13 AM   #8
Derekc294

I have a quad rail so I have room for the flip sights. Any recommendations on a gas block off to replace the iron sight before I remove it? I might just dremel it like stated above.
Old January 18, 2013, 12:29 AM   #9
mehavey

I've been running a railed HBAR retaining its standard front sight for years now, switching out between scope
and irons depending on my mood. When using the scope, the front sight has never resolved itself in the scope
picture and is therefore not even noticed.

`You sure you want to pull that front sight?
Old January 20, 2013, 07:25 PM   #10
Derekc294

Not 100% sure the more I look at it