The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2012, 09:26 AM   #1
swampcrawler

a wildcat question

Ok, I know nothing about wildcatting and just started reloadingn but working an extremely boreing job for 14 hours a day gives a lot of time for gun-think. Anyway iv fallen in love with small caliber bolt action carbines. Just nimble, light, accurate, light recoiling, perfect for me as I hunt brush and have never made a kill past 100 yards. Anyway I saw the 6.5x25 somthing, that new thing from sweeden, and was wondering if a real 6.5 bullet in a necked down .30 mauser necked down to 6.5 would work at all. The bullet is probably to heavy for that small of case capacity. Just a thought. Or if there is anything similar to that but kinda off the wall (wildcats, extinct militayr rounds) that would make a good carbine cartrige greater than .22 cal out to 100 yards. Just lookin for ideas to stay entertained lol.
Old June 7, 2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

"Out to 100 yards" for what? Woodchucks or moose? Matters what you're shooting, it does....

So far as "work", as in "function", I'm sure it could work. Usefulness is another question. I'm guessing it would be far too slow for anything bigger than woodchucks.

There are plenty of cartridges out there based on a similar concept though, such as the 300BLK.
Old June 7, 2012, 10:30 AM   #3
griz

Sounds as if it would turn out to be a little less powerful than the old 256 Winchester Magnum, which was a 357 case necked down to 25 cal. While it may have been a useful round for game up to about coyote size, it never caught on.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:20 AM   #4
swampcrawler

"Maters what you're shooting, It does..."

Very true, this is...
Lol sorry about that. My "big game" is small whitetail and medium-large hogs. (South louisiana) I don't know why but the necked down pistol cartriges have always been very interesting to me. How about .30 carbine necked down to something?

22 cal is the smallest legal for deer in my state so anything from there up. I need to read up on the Blackout as well. I forgot about that one.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:29 AM   #5
603Country

If you want a small caliber bolt action rifle that's easy to handle, the Remington Model 7 and the Ruger 77 Compact would be just the thing for you in 6.5x55 or in 260 Remington. Or in 243.
Old June 7, 2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

As much fun as it can be to reinvent the wheel...

If your criteria is bolt-action, short-barrel, low-recoil deer gun... the answer is probably 223.
Old June 7, 2012, 12:31 PM   #7
swampcrawler

This is true. But i hate 223 (actualy not sure why) so i have a cz 527 in 7.62x39. So i have the perfect carbine for my purposes, just looking for something wierd now. Maby just cet another 527 and turn it into a 6.5 grendel
Old June 7, 2012, 12:49 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'm with you on that, not a fan of the 223 either.

There's plenty to consider if you want something less common:

22ppc
6x45 (6mm-223)
257 Roberts
6ppc
6x47

Some require more work than others, custom barrels, custom dies, some are right off the shelf.
Old June 7, 2012, 02:29 PM   #9
swampcrawler

Thanks brian, a list like that is kinda what i was lookin for. Stuff to look up now.
Old June 7, 2012, 03:31 PM   #10
603Country

Swampcrawler, I didn't like the 223 caliber either. Like you, I didn't know why. But, I finally decided to get a bolt action rifle that was not as noisy as my 220, and after researching all sorts of light rounds (22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 222, 204 and some wildcats), I went with the 223. These days I shoot that rifle probably more than all the others combined. For a reloader, the possible combinations of powders and bullets and bullet weights are almost endless.
Old June 9, 2012, 02:04 AM   #11
Scorch

6.5 TCU might fit the bill, it is a 223 necked to 6.5, it actually has pretty snappy performance. Load data is available. Years ago, I sold a super-accurate 223 rifle to a friend who promptly rebarreled it 7mm TCU and shot coyotes with it, claimed it was just about perfect. A 6.5 would be just about perfect, too.

And yes, 6mm has a lot of potential as well.

Most of the smaller handgun cartridges probably do not have enough case capacity to get the bullet going fast enough, JD Jones has been fooling with them for a few years. If you like small and fast, a 45 Win Mag necked down to 22 is on my to-do list. It would just about match the performance of a 222 and would qualify as uncommon.

If you are open to extinct cartridges (actually, the gun-PC term is "obsolete"), the 6.5X51mm Japanese round is pretty cool, as is the 6.5X52mm Mannlicher-Carcano, or the 6.5X54mm Mallicher-Schoenauer. I guess technically they are not obsolete yet, factory ammo is still available for them from Norma.

Ain't it fun to dream?

Last edited by Scorch; June 9, 2012 at 02:10 AM.