The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 9, 2008, 07:24 PM   #1
brockgl

Never Hunted before!! I want to go!

I just bought a Remington 870, and I want to go hunting! I am 24, and I have never had anyone take me hunting for anything--not even squirrels or rabbits. I want to go so badly. The urge to prepare and eat something that I have chased and killed myself is becoming overwhelming! But I have a very big problem. I have no idea what to do! I need some help. I have googled a lot for hunting how-tos, however I just haven't found a guide that tells me what animals I should start hunting first. I haven't found much about how to get eased into the sport. I have never prepared an animal from scratch (gutting, skinning, etc...). Forgive me if I am not using the right terms; as I said, I am ignorant on this topic. =) If anyone could give me some advice I would love it! Or if anyone knows of a great website that I have missed in my googling, I am definitely interested!
Old April 9, 2008, 07:48 PM   #2
Loaded4yote

My first piece of advice would be to attend and successfully complete a Hunters Education class. That in and of itself will be most beneficial to you at this point.

Check with your local Game and Fish or Department of Wildlife Managment for class times and possibly cost? Some states charge, many don't.
Old April 9, 2008, 07:58 PM   #3
brockgl

I do plan on taking a class in September. I already have the dates. However, I was really looking for some advice on possibly what type of animal to start out with, or maybe where to find information about preparing animals for bringing home to be cooked, etc... I'm sure this will be coverred in the class, but it is 5 months away, and I am just too anxious to find some stuff out early =)
Old April 9, 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
Greg.B

Ok, first, what area of the country are you in; what type of land and possibilities are around you? Do you have access to public land; what about private land? Is this land wooded, or open?

Equally important, what do you think you'd be interested in starting with? Small or large game? What time of year do you want to hunt (are you opposed to extreme cold or extreme heat)? Do you have facilities to process and store large game?

Give us some further information, and we can try to help guide you!
NRA Member | NRA Certified RSO | NRA Certified Pistol Instructor | NRA Certified Rifle Instructor | NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor | Indiana Hunter Education Instructor | BSA Scoutmaster | BSA Merit Badge Counselor
Old April 9, 2008, 10:04 PM   #5
brockgl

Hey Greg, thanks for the response! I live in central Indiana. The weather is rarely extreme! Usually very moderate and beautiful. Though this winter was surprisingly cold. But yes, we have lots of public hunting ground which I will try to take advantage of on my first times hunting. And it is very wooded land. I was definitely wanting to start out with small game. I had considerred rabits or squirrels. I have also considerred bird hunting which sounds very challenging, but rewarding. Turkey season is coming up, and in southern Indiana there is a lot of good Turkey hunting I hear. However, I will probably be going alone on my first few trips (which brings up another question, is it considered safe to hunt alone? I just don't know anyone else who would go with me). Anyway, I would love to get into deer hunting down the road. I do not have any way to process meat myself, however I have talked to a number of guys who take their venison to be processed locally by butchers I guess. From what they said it isn't too expensive, and they get tons of varieties of cuts and styles of meat from it. I would have room to store the meat though, if I had it. We have some big freezers. I am not oppose to hunting in any conditions; I would be excited by the challenge of extreme weather if it were necessary. I would probably be doing most of my hunting in the fall/winter though. Since it seems that's when most of the animals I would hunt are in season then. I hope that clears up my intentions...
Old April 10, 2008, 12:47 AM   #6
HOGGHEAD

Hunting

There is some great farm land in Central Indiana. Go introduce yourself to a farmer and ask him to ground hog hunt on his property. Buy an inexpensive 22 magnum with good open sights and get out there and hunt some ground hogs. I am sure there is a local range you can go to and practice with your new 22 magnum. If not then ask the farmer if you can shoot a little bit on his back 40. Do not shoot or hunt around his house or his live stock. During the summer when you are hunting if you see him out doing any work-you should pitch in and help. this will get you a lot of goodwill and will probably get you permission to come back and deer hunt. The more time you spend helping him, the better your long term benefit for hunting. Do not take any money for the work. Just thank him and tell him a box of shells for your 22 magnum would be great. Tom.
Old April 10, 2008, 02:10 AM   #7
The Tourist

Here's some odd advice. Go just for the experience.

Some of the best hunts I've been on I never fired a shot. The best shot I ever heard about was from a friend--a police sniper to boot--who missed. The most fun is a warm camp fire and eating outside. Take your best friend.

Hunting is something that pays dividends for years there after. Enjoy every minute of the experience. If you ain't smilin' you ain't huntin' and that's a shame of valuable time off.

Two words. WigWam socks.
Old April 10, 2008, 05:16 AM   #8
predator86

find yourself somebody who does hunt (preferrably an older gentleman) and have him teach you everything he knows, you are not going to want to gut a deer by yourself the first time!!! find someone twice your age that wont mind the company and you will be fine, internet advice is good, but only if you can understand the advice
Old April 10, 2008, 05:25 AM   #9
lon371

First off ckeck the dreaeded Wally World about the Hunters Ed class. Down here in Clarksville Indiana they offer the class. It is $20. Most are a one day class.

Welcome to the world of hunting. Where in Indiana are you? Grab you a hunting guide(paper back at Wally World) If yours dont have it, Indiana DNR has a web site.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/hunt/season2.htm

Ask around at work, You will probably find there are folks that hunt, but may not advertise. Here in Southern indiana, if you mention it at any gas station and you soon have a new freind. You may ask at the local gun shop. Like was mentioned, spend some time out in the woods(with out the gun) sneak around, watch for the tree rats(squirrel)
Crow season starts in July, it ends the day squirrel season comes in. Firearms Deer season comes in Nov 15.
You can hunt Sept to March take a break and start over in July.

Check the websites and put up a post looking for a hunting partner in your area. It is safer and helpful to go with a buddy.

By all means enjoy your new addiction!
Old April 10, 2008, 09:11 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Much good advice! I must add... Enjoy the summer walking and watching. I love to take new folks hunting and often I just use my gun to do follow up shots on wounded or missed game. I like being there to point out the game. You will find real fast that you stumble up on alot of game that only presents itself once you are to close and they too fast to get a shot. Carry a digital camera and "Shoot them with that"...
Hopefully you will see tons of "MAN I WISH I HAD MY GUN..." if not you are gonna learn real fast to keep your feet quiet and your eyes open. I live in the western panhandle of fla and will be glad to take a guy hunting down here. But you are covered up with nice spots up there too!
Good luck on your new found addiction... My name is brent and I too am an addict!
Brent
Old April 10, 2008, 10:41 AM   #11
houndman470

I'm located in Central IN also, contact me and I'll take you coonhunting, squirrel hunting, and yote hunting anytime. Right now you can come up and we'll just take the dogs out and see if you like it before getting to actually "harvest" any game. PM me here and I'll send you my #. I'm always willing to help a newbie get started enjoying the great outdoors.
Old April 11, 2008, 06:26 AM   #12
qajaq59

You didn't mention whether or not you have much experience with actually shooting. If not, then you need to spend time at the range. Not much point in finding game if you can't hit it. Also get out into the woods. Move slowly and quietly and try to see some of the different types of game. Than note where you saw them so you have some idea where to hunt.
And if you can find an old guy that will take you, definitely go with him. He'll teach you more in an hour then the web will in a month.
Old April 11, 2008, 07:52 AM   #13
lon371

houndman470

"I'll take you coonhunting, squirrel hunting, and yote hunting anytime."

Sir you are a credit to the sport.
Old April 11, 2008, 09:18 AM   #14
buck-hunter

I'll take you turkey hunting..Season starts April 23...I'll be out there. Gobble Gobble.
Old April 11, 2008, 09:22 AM   #15
brockgl

Turkey season is indeed coming up! Where do you go Turkey hunting around here? Or do you go down south?
Old April 11, 2008, 09:49 PM   #16
houndman470

Thanks Ion, I'm 38 and have hunted since before I could walk, dad and his buddies carried me thru fields and woods behind some of the finest bird dogs and rabbit dogs that ever lived, I just try to give something back when I can. For that matter anyone wanting to come up for a hunt is always welcome.
Old April 13, 2008, 04:24 PM   #17
langenc

What great offers.
Old April 13, 2008, 08:02 PM   #18
indybrad

There are some Indiana forums you can check also, If you allready haven't. They might be able to help you, or take you with them to get you started.
www.indianasportsman.com
www.hunting-indiana.com
Old April 16, 2008, 01:59 PM   #19
imdarren

Quote:
I'm always willing to help a newbie get started enjoying the great outdoors.
houndman470,
If this world had more good folks like you, this would indeed be a much better place.
Most guys just keep really closed mouth when it comes to sharing hunting info. Maybe thats why hunting is becoming less and less popular, and les and less P.C.

D
Old April 16, 2008, 02:27 PM   #20
whitefish

Quote:
If this world had more good folks like you, this would indeed be a much better place.
Most guys just keep really closed mouth when it comes to sharing hunting info. Maybe thats why hunting is becoming less and less popular, and les and less P.C.
Ditto! Thats why I love this site - no shortage of people willing to lend a helping hand.

I don't know what its like in the US, but in Canada there are less and less people getting into hunting and I think its partly because there is no one to teach them.