The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old February 23, 2008, 10:29 AM   #1
bikerbill

Home protection class

Took an interesting class Wednesday night, put on by KRTraining of Austin. The class met at a couple's home and we basically went through the house, inside and out, looking for entry points, discussing how to harden them, and then running scenarios inside the house -- where the kids should go in case of intruders, how the parents would get to them, how they would work together to defeat the threat, etc. Gave me a new appreciation for how easy it really is to get into a typical residential dwelling, and what you need to do to avoid being a target.

I hadn't heard of a class handled in just that way; anybody taken anything similar? Did it prod you to make changes in your own home?
Old February 25, 2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Lavid2002

sounds like the best way....

after all, all courses cover fatal funnels, how to clear rooms etc.. and then its up to YOU to apply it to your house. But the average citizen will not likely have to clear an unfamiliar building and analyze the best way to go about the situation, wich is what this training is meant for. So their house is the main place that the class will be used for. This course kind of "skips" all the nonesence and keeps the training focused on the important aspects. I think the training is great. Ive never seen anything like this.
Old March 16, 2008, 01:25 AM   #3
PzGren

Now that you have learned a good lot, invite a few friends over with airsoft guns and see how well you can apply what you have learned.
Old March 16, 2008, 07:25 PM   #4
JDG

Quote:
Now that you have learned a good lot, invite a few friends over with airsoft guns and see how well you can apply what you have learned.
Don't think the air soft will go through the bedroom door, cause thats were I'll be shooting from. Thats if the person tring to break it in, dosn't stop on my command
Old March 18, 2008, 01:20 AM   #5
PzGren

Indeed, the difference in between soft and hardcover is obliterated with softairguns but even this low level of FOF will still be a good lesson.

It was for me, even after having been trained in house to house fighting in Hammelburg.
Old March 18, 2008, 04:36 AM   #6
JDG

Force on force training is a rush! Fun anywhere, but I'll let the Police clear my house, as I hunker down with my family behind me
Old March 19, 2008, 01:59 PM   #7
bikerbill

JDG .. one of the keys to this particular class ... the parents' bedroom is on the ground floor, their three children are upstairs. In that case, the instructor first completely redid the parents' plan for their children, having them gather in a different bedroom which was easier to barricade. However, the parents obviously had to come out of the bedroom to protect their children, and a lot of what we did was based on that need. my wife and I live in a one-story home, no kids, so we would be closer to your plan; use the cell to call 911, get behind the bed with the Surefire and the 1911 and wait for help -- or an invasion of our bedroom ... we had a few neighbors in a few weeks after the class, those we know are armed and interested, and went over what I had learned. At least one family installed outside lighting and began locking the fence to their backyard ...