The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 9, 2006, 02:33 PM   #1
longshank

Deer Corn Attractants

What is a good deer corn additive/attractant to mix with corn in my deer feeder? There are a lot of them out there and I want one that will pull deer and keep them coming back to my place and my feeder. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old September 9, 2006, 03:07 PM   #2
deerslayer79

corn mixin

I have used many types of the attractants,they all work,to a point.I have found out the better it taste the more they eat,with that in mind the more corn you have to put out.I have found the easiest way to use corn for bait is to plant it and leave it standing.I usually plant at least 4-5 acres of food plots yearly and have realized if you have standing corn mixed with oats,turnips ect.. the deer will frequent the area more often.Deer usually will come out and feed earlier and stick around longer for this type of deer food buffet,I believe the standing corn to them is a sort of cover and they feel safer while they eat.If you are capable of trying this out,You should be pleased with the results
Old September 9, 2006, 07:55 PM   #3
longshank

Thanks

Well, I have about 100 acreas that has 5 stock ponds, native pasture, etc. that adjoins about 500 acreas of heavy wooded land and an old creek bed that runs for miles. This provides a good travel corridor for them to come onto my place. I may try scattering some winter turnip seed out as well and see what happens. Thanks for the input.
Old September 9, 2006, 10:07 PM   #4
R.D.Wheeler

We tried Purina Deer Chow last year. It wasn't a very big hit with the deer at our club in Oxford. They would eat it but given the choice, they would take corn over the chow. It worked ok as a mix but was expensive. YMMV.
Robbie

Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?
Old September 9, 2006, 10:24 PM   #5
FirstFreedom

Whole Corn
Cracked Corn
Black Oil Sesame Seeds
Protein pellets (usually mostly alfalfa)
Rice Bran pellets
Oats
Wheat

Hmmm, there's other stuff too.
Old September 10, 2006, 05:42 AM   #6
youp

Deer like corn as corn. Corn additives are intended to appeal to the hunter and his billfold.

It has been determined that piling bait in one spot can greatly increase the frequency of occurance of deer ailments. Northeast Lower Michigan banned deer feeding due to Tuberculosis.
Old September 10, 2006, 08:51 PM   #7
deerslayer79

planting turnips

remember this seed to soil contact,turnips will almost grow anywhere,but doing a little seedbed work and your results will be greatly improved,and also tunip seed is tiny and planting rates are like 4-5 lbs per acre so a little seed goes a long way
Old September 10, 2006, 11:26 PM   #8
Fat White Boy

Using any kind of attractant or feed to attract deer is against the law in California. But if it is left over from a harvest, it is OK. Wild Pigs love the barley fields in Central California. If I can stake one out with fresh sign, it is almost a guaranteed pig...Barley fed pork is pretty good eating.
Old September 11, 2006, 09:06 AM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Commercial "deer corn" has a slight amount of molasses added. The smell of the molasses is stronger than that of the corn and is attractive to deer.

Art
Old September 11, 2006, 10:54 AM   #10
Wild Bill Bucks

As art said. plain ole deer corn will bring them in from miles away. Be sure to use deer corn in your feeder or you will run the risk of your feeder being stopped up with peices of corn cob and corn dust. Deer corn is washed and flavored just for deer feeders, so you don't have to worry about messing up your feeder. I am using a 50-50 mix of whole soy beans, and deer corn. They like it and it isn't hard to find in my area. The soy bean is about 35% protein, and by mixing it with the corn, is real good for the deer. I keep my feeders up year around, and have always thought that if I am going to feed all the time, I may as well be feeding something that is good for all the deer, not just the ones I intend to hunt. Healthy deer, just breeds more healthy deer.
Old September 11, 2006, 11:27 AM   #11
FirstFreedom

WBB, where do you get the soybeans from and how much?
Old September 11, 2006, 12:11 PM   #12
Wild Bill Bucks

FF,

Feed house across from James Collins Wildlife refuge, called Lipskas Feed Mill. He mixes it, and keeps it on hand for deer hunters. About $6.00 per 50 lb. sack. We are trying to get Big V Feeds to handle it, and they say they are going to start, but so far Lipskas is the only place we can get it.
Old September 11, 2006, 12:53 PM   #13
FirstFreedom

OK, thanks, so that's up to the main northwest entrance to James Collins?
Old September 11, 2006, 01:11 PM   #14
Wild Bill Bucks

You are right, Take a west turn on the Blocker road off of 31 highway, and it will take you straight to Lipskas. You will see some big corn fields on the right hand side, a couple of miles before you get to the mill.

Last edited by Wild Bill Bucks; September 11, 2006 at 01:15 PM. Reason: GETTING MY FACTS STRAIGHT.
Old September 11, 2006, 06:21 PM   #15
FirstFreedom

OK, thanks! That's not a bad price, so I'm planning on loading up a pickup truck-full next time I'm out that way!