The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 20, 2017, 09:57 PM   #26
Mississippi

Might I suggest the .338 Lapua AR-10?
It is called the .338 Lapua Bad News. It has a 26" barrel and can reach out farther than a mile. Top that baby with a night force scope and load up some Nosler Partitions 250 Grain and you can take any North American animal (and probably most African game).

They make a .300 win mag AR-10 as well. If you want to go a bit older school, a replica Garand .30-06 with 220 round nose bullets will hit like a freight train.

All of the above are options.... or you could go with a BAR (Browning Automatic Rifle) semi automatic in .30-06, .338 win mag, .300 win mag, .300 wsm, 7mm, 7mm-08.

The BAR is one of the best semi-auto hunting rifles....ever
Old March 21, 2017, 11:01 PM   #27
HALL,AUSTIN

I've personally had to TRY to get longer shots at predators. Anything 300+ yards is a craps shoot after being in the woods for days on end and carrying all your gear. That's just me though. You might be a great shot from a cold bore, after hiking for 3+ days, with an elevated heart rate, in the blowing snow, but I'm not. I'll occasionally pop a coyote cross field or something that has a bit more distance but all things equal if I can get closer I will.