The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 4, 2016, 04:29 PM   #1
Ambidextrous

Virginia-Specific Renewal Questions/Issues/Problems . . .

Greetings,

I was very much hoping this would be a simple question about CCW renewal, however, after a bit of reading, it seems I may have a bit of a problem. I'm confused.

This is my first renewal (Issued 05/18/2011 - Expires 05/17/2016), and I am not clear on the process.

1. Am I "too late" to receive a renewal?

2. Must I (whether late or not) fill out all the same State Police forms again?

There is (yet another) slight "complication". Though I've been a Virginia resident my entire life (aside from a few weeks at Ft. Benning, GA), I live in a different county now than I did 5 years ago.

Thanks in advance,
Glenn...
Ephesians 6:12
Old April 4, 2016, 06:38 PM   #2
osbornk

Information- I think you need to go to your current county Clerk of the Court

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

Renewal
Persons who previously have held a Virginia resident permit shall be issued, upon application, a new five-year permit unless there is good cause shown for refusing to reissue a permit. The same fees and time constraints apply in the instance of renewal. Persons who previously have been issued a concealed handgun permit are not required to appear in person to apply for a new five-year permit; the application for the new permit may be submitted via the United States mail. The circuit court that receives the application shall promptly notify the applicant if the application is incomplete or if the fee submitted is incorrect.
If the new five-year permit is issued while an existing permit remains valid, the new five-year permit shall become effective upon the expiration date of the existing permit, provided that the application is received by the court at least 90 days but no more than 180 days prior to the expiration of the existing permit.=

Last edited by osbornk; April 5, 2016 at 08:29 AM.
Old April 4, 2016, 08:18 PM   #3
Ambidextrous

Thanks much...I plan to get there tomorrow morning.

Thank you again,
Glenn
Old April 4, 2016, 09:13 PM   #4
SamNavy

Even if for some reason they made you apply from scratch, there are only 2 forms if I remember... just a couple pages of standard stuff, almost identical to what's asked on a 4473... it takes 5 minutes.

If you're headed down there, don't forget your proof of firearms training just in case.
Old April 4, 2016, 09:19 PM   #5
Ambidextrous

Thank you sir, and great suggestion also.
Old April 5, 2016, 09:45 AM   #6
kilimanjaro

In Washington you can renew your CPL right up until midnight of the final day, if the Sheriff's Office would deal with it outside of normal window hours.

You pay the renewal fee, get a receipt, tuck the receipt in with your existing CPL and you are valid to carry while waiting for the replacement CPL to arrive in the mail.