The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 31, 2016, 03:51 PM   #1
trucker3573

Wiuld you have the right to use your weapon scenario?

Just watched a show called crime watch. They covered a massive car chase story that happened in denver. The perp during the chase forced several people to stop and forcefully pulled them out of their vehicles so he could continue to run. He did not have a weapon. Now my question is this. Had one of the occupants that he stole a vehicle from been a legal cpl carrier would they have had the right to use their weapon??
Old March 31, 2016, 04:03 PM   #2
NINEX19

In your scenario, it sounds like both assault and probably fear of life/limb are in play, so the answer is, "yes".
Old March 31, 2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

That seems the right answer. Nothing more to be said.

A person asking this question, however, is best advised to be familiar with the laws of one's own state on the use of force.

If one carries a gun, it is crucial that you know this. Internet advice from non-experts is not that useful.

Quality training classes are recommendend.

Now, if the OP wants to share state of incident info and someone wants to look up the relevant statutes that would be a contribution. Otherwise, speculation isn't useful.

That's a hint!!
Old March 31, 2016, 04:48 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Learn what your state requires, and in particular what they say about disparity of force. What might not be recognized as valid self defense in one situation could well be in another one.

A 200lb 20 something attacker (no weapon) versus someone in the same physical shape is one thing, against a 98lb 65yr old granny it's quite another.

In the first case, you might be found to have illegally escalated the situation if you shoot, in the second, granny might feed him all six from her .38 and not even be prosecuted.
Old March 31, 2016, 05:48 PM   #5
trucker3573

Just posted as something to think about. Things such as this that many people dont think about before they tuck that gun away each and every day. While I have finally become a cpl holder I kind of still have the belief that the gun is just as likely to ruin your life as save it if you were to ever decide to use it.
Old March 31, 2016, 06:58 PM   #6
turkeestalker

Quote:
I kind of still have the belief that the gun is just as likely to ruin your life as save it if you were to ever decide to use it.
Without question.
Old April 1, 2016, 07:52 AM   #7
NINEX19

Quote:
Just posted as something to think about. Things such as this that many people dont think about before they tuck that gun away each and every day. While I have finally become a cpl holder I kind of still have the belief that the gun is just as likely to ruin your life as save it if you were to ever decide to use it.
You posed a simple question. You will get a simple answer. It is not an all inclusive answer and really not even very satisfying. However, as stated before, there are so many variables that are unknown (the exact situation, circumstances, laws, emotions, etc) in the scenario in question, that a definitive answer is not possible.

I am sure everyone that carries, has thoughts similar to what you have expressed. Nobody wants to have to use a gun. It is always an extreme last resort. It is in that split second of time, that we, everyone that carries, makes the decision to use or not to use a weapon. It is a constant evaluation of the situation that leads you to either use deadly force or deescalate the situation (even by avoidance) that we must all be mentally and up to task, and know your physical limitations as well.

I guarantee you that if you need to use a gun, it will be a life altering choice, whether you are justified or not.
Old April 1, 2016, 10:49 AM   #8
Glenn E. Meyer

The issues are covered well in this thread :

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574732

So I suggest the OP read Frank Ettin's evaluation.

Closed.