The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old April 25, 2013, 11:01 AM   #26
TailGator

Quote:
Sorry to sound cynical, but waiting until a crisis to arm oneself is a bad idea. Without training, mindset, and preparation, the gun will be a liability.

Those folks don't need to come beating on my door at such a time, saying "I see your point! Loan me one of yours!" Panicky, unprepared, and untrained people are the last folks on earth I want handling firearms.
Very well said.

Although it might seem a bit selfish to some, there is also an economic factor to consider; folks like that essentially want us to foot the bill for their self defense, by having "extra" guns and ammo on hand to loan them.
Old April 25, 2013, 11:15 AM   #27
shaunpain

I agree with many of you in that in any emergency scenario, you put the loanee at risk when giving them a gun and they don't know how to use it. I will never loan a gun to anyone under any circumstance these days. If you feel you don't need to own a gun, that's fine with me. Don't come knocking on my door asking to borrow when you feel you need it. It might sound like I'm apathetic to everyone else, but if you weren't smart to arm yourself to begin with, then that's exactly what I am about you when the chips are down. In life, we all suffer the consequences when we're not prepared. I think, unfortunately, people need to suffer for that stupidity for things to get better for people like us.
Old April 26, 2013, 07:15 AM   #28
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Although it might seem a bit selfish to some, there is also an economic factor to consider; folks like that essentially want us to foot the bill for their self defense, by having "extra" guns and ammo on hand to loan them.
I am thinking more like a failure to plan at all. This brings the old adage out;

...A failure to plan on your part does not necessarily result in an emergency on my part...

Anyhow had a conversation with an avid anti at work about this. He knows me so he stuck by not wanting a gun figuring there were plenty of cops in the area to protect everyone.

I told him that the bad guys had started at least one gun fight with the police and one had gotten away for a period of time after that. He did not really have an answer for that.
Old April 26, 2013, 11:52 AM   #29
Buzzcook

Wouldn't loan a gun in that situation because the threat was non-existant and a gun is not a security blanket.

I remember growing up in the suburbs during the 60s race riots. Even though they were separated from the violence by many miles, lots of people wanted to armed themselves against the marauding hoards.
Old April 28, 2013, 10:47 PM   #30
KimberUltra

I just find it hilarious that our politicians think we are nuts for being prepared for crazy situations that will never happen. The bombers running around through neighborhoods in Watertown is EXACTLY why my house is armed. No body in that town ever thought the two most wanted people on the planet would be hiding in their own backyards. It could have been any neighborhood.

They should feel fortunate though. I'm surprised the two bombers didnt run into a gun owner at any point. I know mass is pretty tight on guns but there's plenty of gun owners there
Old May 1, 2013, 06:13 PM   #31
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
A Non-Gun person? Maybe, given the circumstances.

An openly Anti-Gun person? No, not a snowball's chance. Let they're beloved police help them.
I've gotten to the point where that's me as well. Kurt Russell was once asked if he'd loan a gun to a normally anti-gun person in a time of crisis, and he replied something on the order of, I'd tell them, sorry, they're all being used.

Personally, I wouldn't even be that nice.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:40 PM   #32
rielazegui

I woulden't loan a gun. In this case, it would probably be a scared, non-trained, non familair with firearms person. It is making their situation more dangerous than not having a gun.
Old May 6, 2013, 03:36 AM   #33
cajun47

i can't stand non gun owners and won't even talk to them. in a crisis situation i'll tell them they made their choice, now live with it.

if im out in public and some fool goes on a shooting spree, i'll hide as best as i can, draw my weapon and only use it if the bad guy comes to me. i won't try to save anyone except who ever was with me.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:10 AM   #34
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
if im out in public and some fool goes on a shooting spree, i'll hide as best as i can, draw my weapon and only use it if the bad guy comes to me. i won't try to save anyone except who ever was with me.

Not going to say what I really feel about you. But it's not good.

I feel the complete opposite. I rather be the sheepdog with a gun than a sheep with a gun.

EDIT: Sorry, I was side swiped when I read that.

Anyways, I was thinking that the entire time I was watching the coverage live in Boston. It must be a pretty defenseless feeling to be an anti in that vicinity.

That situation, quite honestly helps our community of gun owners out a lot.

Last edited by Tactical Jackalope; May 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:18 AM   #35
Plumbnut

I see alot of guys saying they would not loan anyone a gun mostly because of safety issues.
Why would these same people be safer if they went and purchased a gun vs. you loaning them one? Assuming the person asking to borrow one was a close friend or family member.
You could/should always give them the operators safety guide.

Thoughts?
Old May 6, 2013, 03:53 PM   #36
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
You could/should always give them the operators safety guide.
I doubt anyone would read it under such circumstances. How many people read the book that comes with their new car or their microwave? Besides without any frame of reference they would have little idea what they were looking at without at least some training.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:00 PM   #37
Plumbnut

Alabama shooter,

You make a strong arguement for mandatory training when people buy guns.

I dont want that but it seems your suggesting it. Most responsible people read owners manuals. I know I do with eveything I buy and I keep a file with the receipt. Especially guns.

I keep all my receipts for all firearm related accesories so I cn prove I bought them and I paid the tax on them.
Old May 7, 2013, 07:01 AM   #38
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Most responsible people read owners manuals. I know I do with everything I buy and I keep a file with the receipt.
That is great, I read the manuals when one came with the gun. Most often they come without one when you buy a used gun and I believe that most people do not obtain one later. I have doubts that everyone reads the manuals.

Quote:
You make a strong argument for mandatory training when people buy guns.
I think if the first time you are shooting a gun you are shooting it an armed intruder there has been a serious failure chain of events there and that such behavior while potentially life saving is irresponsible at it's core.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:30 AM   #39
Hiker 1

I'd loan a non-gun neighbor a walkie-talkie. He can call me if the baddies show up.

An anti-gun neighbor or the one with wingnut kids? I'd loan them my 9-iron if I'm in a good mood.
Old May 9, 2013, 07:33 AM   #40
cajun47

"Not going to say what I really feel about you. But it's not good.

I feel the complete opposite. I rather be the sheepdog with a gun than a sheep with a gun."

go ahead, say what you feel. in my state almost anyone can get a ccw. if they choose not to thats their choice. lets say im shopping at wal mart. i hear gun fire, people start screaming and running. if i draw my weapon and move toward the gun fire to be a hero, to protect those who imo should have a ccw. now im walking or running around a store where shots are fired with a gun in my hand. whats stopping another ccw or cop from thinking im the bad guy shooting all the defenseless sheep?

are you gonna go shoot anyone with a gun drawn now? under cover/off duty cop doing his job that might be the bad guy in your eyes?
Old May 9, 2013, 08:01 AM   #41
Pilot

It is interesting that probably many of those people that are anti (legal) gun ownership would want a gun to defend themselves, just as there are no atheists in foxholes. Things change when your back is against the wall.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:07 AM   #42
Alabama Shooter

With the veneer of civilized society stripped away, when mortality is clearly evident, that is when true beliefs manifest themselves. That is what I have always observed.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:53 AM   #43
Buzzcook

Quote:
just as there are no atheists in foxholes
There are plenty of atheist in foxholes, Pat Tlllman for one.
There are also plenty of people who have put themselves in harms way and died believing that nonviolent protest was the best way to change the world around them.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:31 PM   #44
MLeake

Some of them were even correct, Buzzcook. That doesn't mean we should expect people to lie under tank tracks, nor to march, unarmed, into a Bull Connor's K-9 teams.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:00 PM   #45
Tactical Jackalope

During a Manhunt for a Terrorist Half of All Non-Owners Want a Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun47 View Post
"Not going to say what I really feel about you. But it's not good.

I feel the complete opposite. I rather be the sheepdog with a gun than a sheep with a gun."

go ahead, say what you feel. in my state almost anyone can get a ccw. if they choose not to thats their choice. lets say im shopping at wal mart. i hear gun fire, people start screaming and running. if i draw my weapon and move toward the gun fire to be a hero, to protect those who imo should have a ccw. now im walking or running around a store where shots are fired with a gun in my hand. whats stopping another ccw or cop from thinking im the bad guy shooting all the defenseless sheep?

are you gonna go shoot anyone with a gun drawn now? under cover/off duty cop doing his job that might be the bad guy in your eyes?
You're create a general situation to justify how you feel. That's understandable.

No ones saying to be Bruce Willis in Die Hard and find the guy. IF you have a means to stop it and you don't? (in a general sense, not you individually)

Your morals and outlook on life needs adjusting. (In general not you, we're still discussing this)
Old May 11, 2013, 10:55 AM   #46
Glenn E. Meyer

This is over.

I caution folks NOT to insult other members over their choices in a critical incident. It is very easy to be an internet tough guy.

We also don't care if you are an atheist or believe in the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.

Off the rails, closed.