The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 31, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Nick9130White

Redo finish on mosin nagant.

I was wondering if redoing the finish is frowned upon, like sporterizing the mosin nagant?
Cause my finish isn't terrible, it's just bad and I'd like to redo it. What kind of finish should I use on a 43 Russian nagant?
Old January 31, 2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Tikirocker

Mosin Nagants were finished in Shellac ... with age and time the Shellac goes brittle and can flake off - it scratches easily and can look messy fast with knocks and scrapes. It's not big thing to re-apply shellac, but I decided to strip mine off and just give it the BLO ( Boiled Linseed Oil ) which is the standard finish for Lee Enfields.

Tiki.
Old January 31, 2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Nick9130White

Will it look different in the end? And would I use sand paper to get off all the stuff on it now?
Old January 31, 2011, 01:26 PM   #4
Tikirocker

Shellac leaves a glossy type of finish, BLO as applied for Enfields is generally buffed out for a semi gloss or matt finish. You can apply BLO and let it build up so that it appears glossy, just don't knock back the finish with #0000 steel wool - or you could always go Tung Oil as another option. No sanding is required to remove shellac ...

Try this thread from one of my fellow Mods at Surplus ... http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...?f=137&t=77501

Tiki.
Old January 31, 2011, 01:36 PM   #5
Nick9130White

Oh, thank you very much!
Another question, how would I get the dings out?
Old January 31, 2011, 02:24 PM   #6
Tikirocker

Dings are one of those things that many collectors like to leave in place, this is called battle character or patina. Dings are like scars, they tell the story of a rifle and there is no small question as to removing them or leaving them in situ. If you care about the Military history and character of the Mosin, I'd leave them in place, without them the rifle has no story.

If you really want to remove them, you can try steaming them out but this is a time consuming method. Check the other threads in the forum link I left in the previous post ... it is the stock care forum and has zillions of tutorials on working with stocks.

Best, Tiki.
Old January 31, 2011, 04:11 PM   #7
Nick9130White

That's a good point. I'll just take off the shellac.
Old January 31, 2011, 05:23 PM   #8
emcon5

I can't remember where I saw it, probably in Surplus Rifle forum, but there was a thread from a guy who contacted Tula and according to their records, Mosin Nagants were built with both Shellac and oiled finishes.

I will look for it, but if I recall correctly, his conclusion was that they all got shellac when they got reworked at the Soviet arsenals over the years.

I plan on stripping mine, but need to wait for the weather to improve.

The easiest way to remove shellac is denatured alcohol and 0000 steel wool. It will come right off without damaging the wood, or any markings on it.

And if you don't like it, you can just slap another coat of ugly-arse shellac on it.
Old February 1, 2011, 12:28 PM   #9
jsmaye

Since alcohol is a solvent of shellac, you don't even need to use the steel wool.
Old February 2, 2011, 05:55 AM   #10
FALPhil

Here's a tip:

Tung oil and tung mixes are easier to apply than BLO and hold up better over time. Here are a couple of pics of a Mosin that has been refinished in tung.

Old February 2, 2011, 12:51 PM   #11
LDSGJA

Responding to your original question, I saw on the TV show "Pawn Stars" that any refinishing, cleaning, etc greatly reduces the value of classic firearms, but this was on guns that were well over 100 years old.

In this situation I don't know because when a gun is over a 100 years old its really just a collectors item, even if it can and does shoot.

But if your never going to sell it it probably doesn't matter either way.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:28 PM   #12
Tikirocker

My M44 done with BLO and wax polished to seal it ... this finish has been on it for 5 years and has held up without any issues at all. BLO was good enough for the Military nations for 100 years ... good enough for me.

Tiki.
Old February 5, 2011, 07:40 PM   #13
Nick9130White

Thank you for all your help, sorry for the late reply though.

Those guns, are gourgous.

What I want to do is take down all the gloss, keep the dings, but honestly, my finish looks like [color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color][color=#FF0000]â–ˆ[/color]. And the bayonet has scrached the barrel quite a bit so I also want to redo the black on the barrel. I think of it as restoring a car. Keep the internals the same, just make it like it came from the factory. How should I do the barrel?
Old February 5, 2011, 10:58 PM   #14
Fullthrottle

Tikirocker, is that just strait BLO, no stain or dye? Looks very nice!
Old February 6, 2011, 12:11 AM   #15
sirsloop

As far as I'm concerned you can do whatever you want to you guns. Its not like there are only 100 MN's in the world. There's been like 37 MILLION made

Originial shellac finish on my Izzy M44:

one can of brakleen and 10 minutes later:

I sanded it down taking care not to destroy any markings on it, ebony stained it multiple times, then put like 7 coats of wipe on poly on the stock. Its certainly not an original finish, but it made the gun look great.

The top piece was a different color and had a crack, so I took the opportunity to glue it together, sand it down, and stain match it to the rest of the stock.

Last edited by sirsloop; February 6, 2011 at 02:05 AM.
Old February 6, 2011, 12:13 AM   #16
sirsloop

Old February 6, 2011, 01:17 AM   #17
the rifleer

What did you use to remove the original finish?
Old February 6, 2011, 01:31 AM   #18
Tikirocker

Quote:
ikirocker, is that just strait BLO, no stain or dye? Looks very nice!

Original Mosin Nagant Shellac is supposed to give a reddish tint to the stock ... when you remove the shellac the wood does not have the same red tone. Knowing that I was not going to bother with shellac ever again, I wanted to maintain the traditional look of the M44 and gave the stock a very light wash of rosewood spirit dye followed by several coats of BLO and a wax polish for protection. Basically I got the rifle to look the same as it did with shellac but without the problems of shellac.

Cheers, Tiki.
Old February 6, 2011, 01:34 AM   #19
Nick9130White

Damn, that looks amazing. I figured out how I'm going to stain it! What grit sand paper did you use?
Oh, and in your last picture, is that a Remington 870 ok the table next to you?
Old February 6, 2011, 01:46 AM   #20
sirsloop

A can of non-chlorine brakleen took the shellac off with surprising ease. The stuff flowed off like a river! HA! The "blond" photo was taken immediately after taking off the shellac... basic spray and wipe down with a rag. I hadn't sanded at all but it was already down to the bare wood. I probably started with 120 grit on areas that were a little rougher, switched to 200, then 400 for final sanding. I did sand the gun down with 0000 steel wool in between coats of stain/poly to help prevent orange peel. Wipe down with mineral spirits before applying any new stain/poly, wait till its dry, then apply.

Yeah that's my 870 on the table... probably was runnin 00 buck and slugs through it...

Last edited by sirsloop; February 6, 2011 at 02:15 AM.
Old February 6, 2011, 01:54 AM   #21
sirsloop

Another mod I recommend doing is a trigger spring and washer mod. Notice the small washer under the main trigger spring. That basically reduces the trigger tension, and moves where the trigger will break in the pull of the trigger. The thickness of that washer is extremely important as too fat and you can cause the gun to fire without touching the trigger. I test fit it a number of times and had to hammer down the washer on an anvil to take a couple thousands off the thickness. A lot of trial and error... and be sure to bang the gun around a little bit to simulate you dropping it, etc. If it fires, its NO GOOD, and the washer must be thinned. Obviously I'm not doing that loaded... I just clear the barrel, put the bolt in, put it in battery, and bang the gun around in my hand a little to try to get the thing to break.

So that mod creates another problem where the trigger will flap around all loosey goosey. To fix that, there are return spring kits sold on the net that put a small amount of forward tension on the trigger. You can see that spring coiled around the shaft that holds the trigger on. Its kinda like a mouse trap spring and gives the trigger a REALLY nice feel to it. You get a little tension from that spring as you squeeze, then when you hit the main spring the tension increases and the gun breaks with minimal creep. Its basically a 2 stage trigger and is a vast improvement over the stock creepy high tension trigger.

Last edited by sirsloop; February 6, 2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old February 6, 2011, 02:02 AM   #22
sirsloop

Then while you are at it you can bed the action, and sand down the inside of the stock to float the barrel.... a little car wax and JB Weld to bed the action!

Hit up the lettering with white crayon, and you have a looker!!

If you want to improve the ol irons, I recommend these MOJO aperture sights. Really nice bolt on for your MN.

Old February 6, 2011, 02:10 AM   #23
sirsloop

btw, I had to ebony stain that stock with like 10 coats to get it that dark. I would put on a coat and let it sit for 15 minutes, wipe off the excess, let dry for 12 hours. I'd come back at lunch 12 hours later and rub it down with 0000 steel wool, lightly clean it with mineral spirits, let dry for 5 minutes, then restain. I was done when I achieved the level of stain I wanted after rubbing it down with 0000 and wiping down with mineral spirits. You're putting stain on, and taking some off... but if you use 0000 steel wool you're just taking the stuff off that hasn't penetrated the wood.
Old February 6, 2011, 03:00 AM   #24
Nick9130White

Sirsloop, how do I make a floating barrel, and what does it do?
Old February 6, 2011, 10:18 AM   #25
sirsloop

The idea is that if parts of the stock are touching the barrel, it can put pressure on the barrel that will cause accuracy to drop when the barrel is heated up. There are tons of youtube and internet articles that describe how to do it... you basically sand out the inside of the stock so the barrel is not touching the wood. This usually goes hand in hand with bedding the receiver, so the receiver is completely locked to the stock, but the barrel is not touching anything.

http://www.freesteader.com/forums/in...p?showtopic=14