The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 6, 2010, 12:35 PM   #1
GAR700

Thumbreak holster for 5 inch 1911

I am looking for a holster for my Springfield Mil Spec. I want one that rides fairly high and has a thumbreak that will work for carrying cocked and locked. I have heard that people like the Galco F.L.E.T.C.H but the reviews say that it can't be used with the hammer back.
What are your suggested holsters considering my $75 budget.

GAR
Old May 7, 2010, 12:35 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

Good sources...

I'd check these sources; www.donhume.com www.highnoonholsters.com www.blackhawk.com www.Bianchi-intl.com www.galls.com www.mitchrosen.com www.epsaddlery.com www.miltsparks.com www.safariland.com .

The High-noon skin-tight line has thumb break styles but is a man made leather type material. They have 1911a1 models ready to ship. Some smaller shops may take a few months. The black leather Blackhawk rigs may suit your needs but many handgun owners like the SERPA holsters.

El Paso Saddlery has a few great leather strong side thumb-break holsters in the $75-80.00 range, . Don Hume is a good value too and is in use by many working cops & security officers.

Clyde F

Last edited by ClydeFrog; May 7, 2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:02 AM   #3
ETCss Phil McCrackin

One of my holsters for my full size 1991 is the Bianchi Shadow II, http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...p?TxtModelID=7 . It’s thumb break allows condition one carry, and it can be used for crossdraw just by changing which loops you use.

ETC(SS) Phil McCrackin
Old May 7, 2010, 07:08 AM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I have heard that people like the Galco F.L.E.T.C.H but the reviews say that it can't be used with the hammer back.
I use a FLETCH holster. If by saying "it can't be used with the hammer back" you mean that the thumb break can't be used with the gun cocked, that is incorrect. The thumb break on the FLETCH works perfectly with a gun that is cocked with the safety on.

In fact, and I've got mine in front of me as I type, the opposite is true. The thumb break won't snap into place if the hammer is down.

In other words, the thumb strap would ride over the top of the hammer vs. riding under the hammer when it's cocked.

So, if you want to carry your 1911 in condition 1, the Fletch holster works perfectly for this carry mode.

If you want to carry with the hammer down, you should look at a different holster style. I carry a Springfield TRP by the way and it's a joy to carry with a proper belt and a good holster.

By the, the Fletch is a great holster and I highly recommend it.
Old May 7, 2010, 07:10 AM   #5
ScottRiqui

I think a lot of the Galco holsters will work with condition 1 carry - their website is just intentionally vague on the topic. I had to test-fit a Miami Classic II at the local shop simply because I couldn't find a definitive answer anywhere online. (The MCII worked fine with condition 1, by the way.)
Old May 7, 2010, 10:10 AM   #6
GAR700

I have narrowed it down to the El Paso Saddlery Strongside Select and the Galco FLETCH. How do these two companies compare for quality?
GAR
Old May 7, 2010, 05:50 PM   #7
ClydeFrog

EP rig, strong side 1911a1 holster...

Of those holsters I'd take the ole El Paso, .

If you do not like it send it back and get a Galco FLETCH.
Skeeter Skelton, a long time gun writer, firearms expert said in a few Guns & Ammo articles that he used a El Paso Saddlery holster for his S&W model 19 and other handguns.

CF
Old May 9, 2010, 08:32 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

I don't know much about El Paso, but Galco makes a very nice holster. I've got several of them and they are well made and well formed and should last a lifetime.

El Paso, I'm sure they make great holsters as well though and you likely can't go wrong with either maker.