The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 11, 2018, 11:09 AM   #1
Shotgun Slim

Springfield XDm 10mm-The answer? Or not so much

So they are out there. The 4.5 and 5.25 in 10mm. My interest would be in the bigger gun which is on the frame they use for the 45s. Really wanted a 6 inch barrel(don't tell me about the longslide TRPs-not interested) but can live with the 5.25. I like the adjustable sights and the fact that the aftermarket is already there-think Powder River trigger kits and other goodies. Don't think they should have lightened the slide though,because shooters don't get a ten to shoot light loads .That's called a 40 S&W. I'm thinking they will have to put a stronger recoil spring in it to cut down on the battering which might make it a bear to rack. I will probably get one anyway,for bowling pins and maybe take it on a hunt sometime. What say you?
Old November 14, 2018, 06:32 PM   #2
magnut

I say get one and try to kill it with max power loads. Then report back. The more 10mms that can go full power the better.
Old November 15, 2018, 09:33 AM   #3
Dan-O

I already have a handful of 10mm bottom feeders. I agree that they shouldn’t have cut the slide on the longer version.

The more the merrier imho
Old November 15, 2018, 01:58 PM   #4
gnystrom

A buddy of mine brought his new 5.5 10MM XDm to test directly besice his Glock in the same caliber. He used a variety of ammo ramping up to some 180 gr. Underwood.
Both guns shot equally well but the XDm was noticeably louder and had more felt recoil than the Glock. Accuracy of both was very good with no real winner in that department.
Old November 16, 2018, 09:46 AM   #5
agtman

Quote:
So they are out there. The 4.5 and 5.25 in 10mm. My interest would be in the bigger gun which is on the frame they use for the 45s. Really wanted a 6 inch barrel (don't tell me about the longslide TRPs - not interested) but can live with the 5.25. I like the adjustable sights and the fact that the aftermarket is already there-think Powder River trigger kits and other goodies. Don't think they should have lightened the slide though, because shooters don't get a ten to shoot light loads .That's called a 40 S&W.
The 4.5" model interests me somewhat for a possible carry piece, but the 5.25" model with adj. sights doesn't do anything for me.

That one looks to be set up as a range-toy/competition/target gun, not a hard-use outdoor gun. Aside from the idiotic cut-out in the top of the slide, which is sure to attract moisture, grit or dirt if used mainly as a 'trail & woods gun,' it's got nothing on the 6.2" Glock 40 MOS.

At least one YouTube review indicates that the 5.25" XDM isn't as accurate as the 6.2" G40 either. Here's the link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0DIKU70xel0&t=3s

Quote:
I say get one and try to kill it with max power loads. Then report back. The more 10mms that can go full power the better.
Yep. Agree. If a supposedly '10mm' gun is only built to handle a diet of watered-down, '40 level' 10mm ammo, then it's a waste of engineering effort by the manufacturer, not to mention a waste of your money buying it if you're a hardcore 10mm shooter.

Last edited by agtman; November 16, 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old November 16, 2018, 10:05 AM   #6
MarkCO

I really like 10mm, have several of them. An RZ10, a G20SF, S&W 610, and a AR based Carbine.

From what I have seen of the M&Ps and XDms in .40S&W as compared to Glocks and EAA (polymer framed) I would not hasten down the path with a 10mm XDm. The wear is significantly higher on .40S&W pistols than 9mm pistols in the M&P and XDm due to how they operate. Might they have made some changes to account for that? It does not appear so. I'd wait until some guys have 10K or so on them and see if they actually will last.
Old November 16, 2018, 10:55 AM   #7
Shotgun Slim

Right now I'm conflicted. I have been an XDm guy for a long time,love them and know the platform well,but the Glock Model 40 makes so much more sense,plus you can drop an aftermarket .40 barrel in it for a longslide .40 setup,just for fun. I just haven't gotten to where I could stand to have that much ugly in my hand out in public.....
Old November 16, 2018, 11:15 AM   #8
stagpanther

Kinda curious--I have a a regular XDM in 45 acp and it's built like a tank and I wouldn't give a second thought to firing 45+P through it--is the newer 10mm any less "beefy?"
Old November 16, 2018, 11:18 AM   #9
MarkCO

Quote:
I just haven't gotten to where I could stand to have that much ugly in my hand out in public.....
Cerakote it in camo, no one will see it.
Old November 16, 2018, 11:25 AM   #10
stagpanther

There are also "Glock in drag" kits out there.
Old November 16, 2018, 11:29 AM   #11
Shotgun Slim

According to Daniel at Powder River the 10mm is on the 45 frame so it is the same "beefiness".And MarkCo you have read my mind on the camo job on the ugliness. Currently looking for a suitable pattern as we speak.
Old November 17, 2018, 11:35 AM   #12
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Slim:
Really wanted a 6 inch barrel...maybe take it on a hunt sometime
...I’d still go for the Glock 40 MOS but YMMV!

Last edited by JDBerg; November 17, 2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old November 19, 2018, 05:47 PM   #13
JJ45

My "American Rifleman" mag came today and just inside the cover page is an add from Springfield titled..."10,000 rounds of 10MM. Zero Failures"...there is also a video link.

I have two SA striker pistols, XD and Xdm but in 9mm...they are the only auto-pistols that have never malfunctioned on me....I don't think this platform gets the respect it deserves although I guess there are some XD owners that do.
Old November 19, 2018, 05:53 PM   #14
stagpanther

Now that you mention it--my XD, which I bought 1 year they came out--has NEVER had a malfunction of any kind that I can recall. Maybe that's why I've owned it longer than any other handgun I've ever had.
Old November 19, 2018, 06:45 PM   #15
MarkCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ45 View Post
My "American Rifleman" mag came today and just inside the cover page is an add from Springfield titled..."10,000 rounds of 10MM. Zero Failures"...there is also a video link.
FNH tested their SLP to 30K rounds with no failures. But no-one could get them to go much past 5 or 6K without a complete re-springing. Most that were used in 3Gun were trashed by the time they hit 15K. Claims in gun rags should be considered anecdotal at best.

That said, I sure hope they are reliable long term.
Old November 19, 2018, 07:02 PM   #16
magnut

Ruger american had claims for 25,000 nato rounds If I recall. Next thing you know there is a recall for peening barrels.

Getting to the point where some of these claims are like trusting what you see in the news.

Not knocking XD in 10mm. I am just glad more people are bringing out guns for the round other than 1911s.

Anyone know any claims for the grand power 10mm?
Old November 19, 2018, 08:02 PM   #17
agtman

[QUOTE]My "American Rifleman" mag came today and just inside the cover page is an add from Springfield titled..."10,000 rounds of 10MM. Zero Failures"...there is also a video link.

The 10K rounds of alleged '10mm' ammo (Federal Premium HydraShoks) may have had '10mm' inscribed on the box-flap, but the energy level was watered-down .40-level crapola. It's one of the weakest '10mm' loads on the market.

Quote:
I have two SA striker pistols, XD and Xdm but in 9mm...they are the only auto-pistols that have never malfunctioned on me....I don't think this platform gets the respect it deserves although I guess there are some XD owners that do.
That's good to know on the XDM design, but the question is: how will a 10mm XDM hold up over time to firing thousands of rds of real 10mm ammo, whether factory or handloads, not the .40-duplicating stuff.

Last edited by agtman; November 19, 2018 at 08:14 PM.