The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 22, 2018, 03:56 PM   #1
ST-100

Mauser 30/06

I have this 30/06 rifle with no information about the rifle. My information is that is was custom build between 1940-1955? There is only one logo and one marking (30/06) on the barrel. The rest of the marking are on the receiver. I believe it’s a Mauser action? I was wondering if anyone could give me information & comment about this rifle. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Doug
I will try and upload some photos.

Old July 22, 2018, 11:09 PM   #2
taylorce1

Yep, it's a commercial Mauser action. That's about all I can tell you, someone will come on here with far more knowledge than I have and tell you more. Welcome aboard!
Old July 23, 2018, 04:41 AM   #3
Mobuck

Closely resembles a Parker Hale commercial rifle. I doubt it's a "custom build" off a military action.
Old July 23, 2018, 05:16 AM   #4
HiBC

Agreed,thats not a reworked milsurp. Its a commercial Mauser.

FN sold a lot of commercial receivers that may have become J.C.Higgins or other dept store brands.
Someone who knows proof marks might be able to work with those on the left receiver ring.
Parker Hale,BSA,Santa Barbara,Zastava...etc. all were making Mausers.
Usually the brand would be stamped on the barrel

In any case,its a very nice hunting rifle.
Old July 23, 2018, 05:44 AM   #5
hooligan1

Looks like a Zastava to me, but those old commercial actions can be similar in looks.
Somewhere on that action there is an import mark usually stamped or micro graved, find that, it will help.
Old July 23, 2018, 07:46 AM   #6
sako2

take the front base off. Stamp is under it.
Old July 23, 2018, 08:26 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Proof marks are Belgian. Is there another Mauser factory in Belgium besides FN?
Old July 23, 2018, 07:46 PM   #8
ST-100

First thanks to all who chimed in. and for the welcomes.

Sako2, I have removed the front base and there is nothing but the 2 scope base mounting holes. I’m wondering if the information your looking for is in picture #6?

Hooligan1, can you give an example of that the proof mark looks like?
I will post a photo of one mark I forgot to add to the above photos.

Just for a little background. My father who passed away had a sporting goods store in Gary Indiana, my dad mentioned several times over the years that he bought a few different grade stocks, actions and custom barrels, then fitted the set together and sold most but kept this one. Sadly, he passed away and I forgot all the information he told me. I’m not a good photo taker, most of the photos show lint off the rag and oil (streaks) when I wipe it down. The rifle is in mint condition.
Again, thanks to all, it’s Greatly Appreciated.

Last edited by ST-100; July 23, 2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old July 23, 2018, 09:52 PM   #9
dwwhite

It looks identical to my FN manufactured .30-06 marked Western Field, which iirc, was a Western Auto brand. As stated by some of the previous posters, FN made these for anybody who could order a sufficient quantity.

While yours could have been rebarreled, the proof mark makes me suspect it's all original. FWIW, your stock even looks identical to mine, down to the color and checkering pattern.

They're great, if under appreciated guns, with cheap Remington 150gr ammo mine consistently shoots 3 shot 1" groups to p.o.a. from a cold bore. I wouldn't take it to an F class match, but what more could you want from a hunting rifle?
Old July 23, 2018, 10:06 PM   #10
Drm50

I can't tell other than a commercial action ( no stripper clip guides) and the thumb safety.
Like someone said there were many like it on the market. One thing I can say they are
more gun for the money than most BAs on the market. I had a 338/06 built on a Sears
& Roebuck 54 action that had been similar rifle in 270. My gunsmith picked it out of several
rifles I had for donar actions. Other than being a low rd count gun it was FN 98 action. He
would not have let me put $1200 bucks in a custom rifle on an inferior action, that was
30yrs ago.
Old July 23, 2018, 11:49 PM   #11
Scorch

The proof marks on the left side are definitive (Belgiam "perron" and smokeless powder proof marking), it is a Belgian commercial action, probably an FN. FN restarted commercial sporting arms manufacturing in 1953 after a hiatus caused by a minor inconvenience between 1940 and 1945. I am not sure when the change to the streamlined bolt shroud occurred, about 1957 or so IIRC.
Old July 24, 2018, 09:56 AM   #12
RC20

Your pictures are good.

I like seeing those older guns so the pictures are appreciated and I get to hear its history. Very cool and while not your intent maybe, much appreciated to see it.

I am not a Mauser guy but that trigger looks very after market and a lot of adjustments on it?
Old July 24, 2018, 01:32 PM   #13
Jim Watson

Looking in DeHaas, it has all the characteristics of the 1957-1975 FN Supreme.
Streamlined shroud and adjustable (Sako No 4) trigger with side safety, Belgian proofs.
I don't know why it lacks even the small FN stamp. Wonder if it says "Made in Belgium" on the lower right receiver above the recoil lug.
Old July 24, 2018, 05:18 PM   #14
ST-100

And like always thanks for you input, greatly appreciated.

dwwhite, is your trigger group the same? And like always thanks for you input.

Drm50, I shot it many years ago, it looks, feels and shoots great. I don’t think it has more than 10 rounds thru it?

Scorch, Is Belgium and FN the same people?

RC20, thanks for comment about my photos, but the rifle looks a lot better than my photos. I’m not a good photographer.

Jim Watson, thanks for the information. I’ll send more photos, maybe something will pop-up?

Old July 24, 2018, 07:51 PM   #15
Scorch

Quote:
Scorch, Is Belgium and FN the same people?
Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre (usually referred to simply as FN) is an arms maker based in Herstal, Belgium. There are other arms makers in Belgium, but FN is very well known for their work with John M Browning and manufacturing for Browning Arms Company.
Old July 24, 2018, 10:15 PM   #16
dwwhite

ST,

I couldn't speak to what my trigger group looks like, because the rifle shoots so well, I've never worked up the nerve to pull the stock... I don't want to mess up whatever bedding (or, more likely, 50 years of grime) may be holding it all together.

I will say that the exposed portion of the trigger and side safety match yours exactly.

To be honest, it's one of my more neglected rifles. Because I'm a lefty, it's not as handy for me, so, literally, I'll check the zero with 3 rounds (it's always been on) then I'll hunt and shoot once, maybe twice in a season. Repeat every third or fourth year. A box of twenty will last 10 years minimum. I keep it out of nostalgia, it's a family rifle, and because it shoots all out of proportion to its looks and monetary value.
Old July 25, 2018, 12:20 AM   #17
ST-100

Scorch, thanks for clearing that up for me.

dwwhite, Thanks again for your information. I hope I didn’t hurt my rifle by taking it apart? Inside my stock looks new. Do all your markings match mine? It would be fun to know for sure, if your rifle and trigger is like mine

Old July 25, 2018, 04:18 AM   #18
HiBC

Quote:
Just for a little background. My father who passed away had a sporting goods store in Gary Indiana, my dad mentioned several times over the years that he bought a few different grade stocks, actions and custom barrels, then fitted the set together and sold most but kept this one.
I think your explaination is here.
Those receivers could be purchased as a receiver.

Ordinarily,the manufacturer,model,caliber,etc would be marked on the barrel,left side out ahead of where a scope objective might be.

The caliber marking would be obvious without removing the stock.

Of course,I don't know the story, But your Dad may have fitted,or had a smith fit,smething like a Douglas barrel. Most all take off barrels will be roll stamped .Nearly every sporting goods store that sold guns had a smith on staff or at least had one who did their work.

Or,maybe FN (or?) sold blank,unmarked barreled actions,to be marked later to suit the reseller,be it Browning or Ted Williams or JC Higgins.

They are all the same pattern,so a Mark !0 or Parker-Hale stock could be fitted easily.

Lets not forget Shotgun News and Gunlist had "deals" including Springfield sporters,SARCO, J=G Sales,Numrich,etc. where production leftovers were marketed. You could buy three or six of those stocks or receivers or barrels.

I'd say your Dad put that rifle together from a receiver,barrel,and a stock.

He picked good stuff. Buehler mounts were top of line.I'm curious about the scope. It looks a lot like a Lyman, but its a bit different from my All American.

You have a fine hunting rifle there. Your Dad had his hand in it,it seems.

And the 30-06 is a proper cartridge for just about anything.

Last edited by HiBC; July 25, 2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old July 25, 2018, 04:26 AM   #19
sako2

ST you didn't hurt anything taking it apart. I have 4 guns with the 98 action and all are good shooters. 1 is a parker hale 243. A custom 25-06. A commercial 270 and a 30-06. The 270 and 30-06 are identical except the 30-06 has a rubber recoil pad. Just bought the 30-06 a few months ago. The 270 and 30-06 have chrome vanadium barrels. Forgot I also a fn 300 win mag with a chrome vanadium barrel. I'll post some pictures later.
Old July 25, 2018, 09:16 AM   #20
Rifletom

ST, that is one fine looking rifle! Enjoy that one. And, you take very good photo's. Don't kid yourself. Good looking rifle.
Old July 25, 2018, 09:48 AM   #21
Jim Watson

Quote:
Or,maybe FN (or?) sold blank,unmarked barreled actions,
Frank DeHaas said FN actions were not numbered.
But it has proof marks and you can't very well proof test one without a barrel, in which case it would already be numbered.
Old July 25, 2018, 12:36 PM   #22
HiBC

Fair call,Jim.

That bolt face has not seen many rounds.I doubt the receiver as salvaged from a donor rifle. It looks new.
I bought a 1950's magnum bolt face FN receiver from a gunsmith estate sale.It was new.

As I said,a rifle built to be sold to the public would have the caliber stamped where it was readily visible.

I'm not sure about the mark on the barrel shank at 12 oclock. (JP) Could be a smith's "brand"

Gunsmith "Code of the west" is to mark caliber and gunsmith name,or initials or trademark on the barrel.

To me,that suggests Dad installed or had an aftermarket barrel installed.

Last edited by HiBC; July 25, 2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old July 25, 2018, 01:22 PM   #23
Jim Watson

I've seen a lot of fails on the Gunsmith Code of the West. I have been scolded for saying that a restoration should be discreetly marked to keep it from being presented as original.
Old July 25, 2018, 05:52 PM   #24
dwwhite

I think Hibc may have hit in the answer with his idea of barreled actions being sold to multiple wholesalers.

If I were a betting man, I'd say FN made these things by the car load, unmarked, so they could be roll stamped with whomsoever wanted their name on it, be that Sears/Ted Williams, Western Field, or Pierre's Sporting Goods in Timbuktu. This would allow caliber markings on the barrel in English or metric units as required.

Whether that roll stamp was to be applied at the factory or by the importer is anybodies guess, though I suspect it was a factory offered service to the various wholesalers.

ST, I bet your dad managed to snag one that slipped through the cracks and avoided a barrel roll stamp.

BTW, highly unlikely you hurt anything with dissasembly, these guns were built like tanks and in all likelihood, your grandkids will be fitting over it when we're all long gone.
Old July 25, 2018, 07:07 PM   #25
Scorch

Quote:
a rifle built to be sold to the public would have the caliber stamped where it was readily visible
I have seen lots of European rifles that were not marked. And I mean lots.